New to Chameleon's advice wanted :)

MrDimmu

Hi there i bought a 7 (ish) month old Veiled Chameleon of a couple near my house who was moving!

i got it with a Exo Terra Mesh Enclosure!

just wondering how you get them to be used to being handled? just as the couple orginally handled it when young but they stopped having time to handle so now its not very tame!

Would it be easy now to tame? Also whats the best way?

I have only had around 4 days so i no best letting to settle in, but just wondering for future refernece!

DSC00185.JPG

DSC00183.JPG

:)

Usually most chams do not enjoy being constantly handled. I'm sure most will adhere to that standard. That being said, taming a cham is not a common practice and most advice would direct you to only handling them when necessary. Though getting them used to being brought out of their enclosure is useful. Just be slow, careful, and do not pull or pry the cham away from anything inside the enclosure. When you handle it, also move kinda slow, try to keep the cham up high, have warm hands...etc.

Bringing it out in front of a bunch of people is probably not a good idea, it wont like all the movement and strangeness.

Looks like a decent setup you have acquired. Are you misting it at all?

I got a fogger and misting 6 times a day! been reading a few places and say get a dripper aswell.

Only asking about handling as would be good to get it out and into sun as i was thinkign of getting a smaller enclosure so can go outdoors :)

well looking around again and want advice on a mister,

i have a exo terra flexaruim 175 Gallon 30" x 30" x 48"

would this be suitable?

if not what kind of misting system would be? Just as i read i need keep my humidity at around 70% and wanna make sure i keep it as close to that as i can! Also helps out as i cant spray the enclosure while im at work!

Can someone give me info on misters sooner than later just as the sooner i get one the better off my Cham will be :)

I'm afraid I can't help you with the mister, but....I will offer this :
It appears that you have a female.
Have you provided her with a suitable place to lay her eggs?

-Brad

I think 70 % humidity sounds high. Between the mist let it drop down to 50-60% and around 90 % after misting.

So I don´t think you need a fogger if it is not really dry where you live. So go for a mister if you are about to choose. But I cant help you to choose a product.

im goign to put a plastic tub at bottom with sand in it for her to lay her eggs!

i just need to get a tub!

what age do they start laying eggs?

Maybe the promist guys will ship to the UK? Its worth asking them and the box size is very small..so shouldn't be too much to ship. The habba mist is a waste of money imo, may as well try a DIY misting system before the habba. Is there a hardware store that sells high pressure water pumps in you area?

Well then all you need is to find some misting nozzel tips and some high pressure hosing that will fit both the pump and the tips..and a timer...and you are set! Search the forums for a diy mister setup. Some describe how to use those pump sprayers with other parts as an auto mister, others describe how to construct a more professional one.

tub not required
I've used a large $3.00 flower pot with the bottom holes covered with packing tape
often I stick another potted plant in there to give it some cover.
they seem to be working well.

The female will start producing eggs depending upon when she reaches adulthood
that varies upon her environment.

Also she'll mature faster IF she sees a male veiled around
it's best to not let her be stalked by a adult male until she's fully grown.
just to let her body develop fully before the stresses of egg production
otherwise her adult size may be reduced.

egg production
you should be able to tell
she'll gorge on food, her color patterning will change
she'll bloat up and become something of a green ball with legs inside the cage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom