New to breeding chams

Foist

So I now have a nosy faly pair and I have a few questions. When they eventually breed how will I know she is fertile. After they do breed do I wait and see if she will deny him in a few days? And how long after they breed are eggs laid? Also any tips for me?

Are they in the same cage?? How old are they? If they are more than 3 or 4 months old they should not be in the same cage IMHO. They will likely mate as soon as they are sexually mature if left together and the stress between them will not be good for them...can even kill them.

If a female is not receptive/fertile she will show the male by her color and posture. (More about this in a minute.) If she's not receptive she should not be put in with the male.

When you want to mate them (and I don't usually recommend it until the female is a year old) I show the female to the male by holding her outside his cage so they can see each other but can't get at each other in case she's not receptive....but you can see the reactions.

If the female is receptive she will be bright peachy colored and remain calm. If the male behaves non-aggressively (does not hold his hand up near his chin or hiss or gape at her, etc) towards her then they can be put together...but continue to watch them for a bit to make sure things don't change.

If she is NOT receptive she will darken the background colors, gape, hiss, rock back and forth and lunge at the male if he comes close to her. The will inflate her body and hold one hand up near her chin likely too. If this happens she should be put back in her cage.

If they are both receptive to each and are left together in the cage and mate you need to remove the female as soon as she starts to reject the male or takes on a dark background color.

Hope this helps.

Are they in the same cage?? How old are they? If they are more than 3 or 4 months old they should not be in the same cage IMHO. They will likely mate as soon as they are sexually mature if left together and the stress between them will not be good for them...can even kill them.

If a female is not receptive/fertile she will show the male by her color and posture. (More about this in a minute.) If she's not receptive she should not be put in with the male.

When you want to mate them (and I don't usually recommend it until the female is a year old) I show the female to the male by holding her outside his cage so they can see each other but can't get at each other in case she's not receptive....but you can see the reactions.

If the female is receptive she will be bright peachy colored and remain calm. If the male behaves non-aggressively (does not hold his hand up near his chin or hiss or gape at her, etc) towards her then they can be put together...but continue to watch them for a bit to make sure things don't change.

If she is NOT receptive she will darken the background colors, gape, hiss, rock back and forth and lunge at the male if he comes close to her. The will inflate her body and hold one hand up near her chin likely too. If this happens she should be put back in her cage.

If they are both receptive to each and are left together in the cage and mate you need to remove the female as soon as she starts to reject the male or takes on a dark background color.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I sent you a pm because I have a few more questions.

Back
Top Bottom