New to all of this

pepitosmama

Hi all...first off I just have to say what an awesome forum this is. You people have so much knowledge, and have helped me in so many ways, I'd just like to say THANK YOU!!!!

As the title states, I'm very new to all this.
About 2 weeks ago my hubby and oldest daughter (14 yrs) went to the pet store to "look" at fish. To my surprise they came home with a baby veiled chameleon.
We had no supplies at all except for what they bought at the time, which wasn't much.
So needless to say I have been doing a whole lot of research and I'm hoping that I'm doing things right.
So far our new lil guy seems to be doing good.
He's very active and eats plenty. So far all we've given him is crickets, but on the next trip to the pet store I think I'll get him some sort of wormy treat.
I've yet to see him drink, but I'm not too concerned about dehydration since he doesn't seem to have any of the signs that i've read about. But I'm keeping a very watchful eye on him.
I have been misting him/cage etc with a spray bottle a few times a day and i also have a bowl of water on top of his cage that drips down onto the leaves.

I was wondering if anyone knows at about what age the shed for the 1st time? The pet store apparently had no idea how old he was.
I noticed today he has started to shed.....my lil baby is growing up!!!
Anyways.....here is baby Pepito!!
And a pic of his cage

Sorry for the blurry pics...I'll get better at it I promise!!! :)

Attachments

• baby pepito 006.jpg
    baby pepito 006.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 138
  • baby-pepito-009.jpg
    baby-pepito-009.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 140
  • baby-pepito-012.jpg
    baby-pepito-012.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 152
  • baby-pepito-013.jpg
    baby-pepito-013.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 172
Looks like you made a really nice set up. I prefer to put newspaper at the bottom for easy cleaning and so i can monitor the fecal matter.

pepitosmama said:
I was wondering if anyone knows at about what age the shed for the 1st time? The pet store apparently had no idea how old he was.
Most chameleons shed not long after hatching, however, it varies entirely on growth, humidity and heat, etc. Judging by his current size and colours, you should start seeing a bit of colour change as he gets in his adult colours in the next while.

Cage looks great. You could rig up some more horozontal branches up high. ESPECIALLY right beneath the UVB florescent bulbs- as many bulbs like this only produce enough UV within the first 10-18 inches.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom