New; Thinking about getting a Chameleon

Carlmora

Hey everybody! Im new but not so new to Chameleons. I have been researching them for a month after deciding that I want another pet (I have a dog and sugar glider). I been thinking about either starting with a Panther or Veiled. Im, of course, going to buy the cage set up first. So first question is are the kits they sell from flchams.com and chameleonsonly.com suitable for chameleons? Have people used them with good results? Also how about the chameleons from there? The pictures of them all look healthy, and they seem pretty reptutable.

Another thing, which sounds silly but because I have heard they are so hard to keep im really worried that I will kill the first guy I get! I really want to avoid that and provide him with the best I can so he lives a long happy life. So how hard are Panthers and Veiled chameleons to keep alive? OH and noise, I play guitar for a band a trombone for another and I was wondering if they get stressed by loud things like that. I know one of the first rules in keeping a chameleon is avoiding stress. Anyway, all info and help is appericated!

welcome to the forum.
I believe the equipment from those suppliers is good, but I've not used it first hand so hopefully others will chime in.
A male veiled or panther is a good chameleon to start with, though no chameleon is considered hardy or easy. There are several people on this forum that sell chameleons. Check the site sponsors and classified sections.

The set-ups and chameleons from FLChams & Chameleons Only are perfectly suited...You might need to get some more plants or vines...

They are not difficult as long as you understand you must be devoted to proper care. If you follow care sheets and continuously ask questions on here etc. you will be fine. If you are THAT worried, start with a Veiled, as they are less expensive (not to say they arent' as charished :) ).

Your instruments shouldn't be a big problem...And I dont forsee you playing directly in front of a chameleons cage anyway...

Thanks,
Jake

Oh awesome thanks for the tips! And links, I already have a favorites folder full of chameleon links and now I have more! I will probably get a panther chameleon because I read they dont require as high temps as Veiled do (im dislexic so that might be mixed up), but im still worried about keeping it alive. People I know make it seem like its not going to last 3 hours in captivity but I see people raising theres from babys into adult hood. I dont know how rare this is, but it gives me some hope.

Oh awesome thanks for the tips! And links, I already have a favorites folder full of chameleon links and now I have more! I will probably get a panther chameleon because I read they dont require as high temps as Veiled do (im dislexic so that might be mixed up), but im still worried about keeping it alive. People I know make it seem like its not going to last 3 hours in captivity but I see people raising theres from babys into adult hood. I dont know how rare this is, but it gives me some hope.

I had very little reptile experience before getting my first chameleon. Yes they are a challenge when compared to other pets, but that is mostly due to the fact that they require a lot of time (in terms of researching/tweaking husbandry). Don't be discouraged, if you understand the proper care needed for chameleons then go for it. Most of us members on the forum would be glad to help you along the way.

Id give the trombone practice a miss right next to the cage! :)
Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons. The breadth and depth of husbandry information you will accumulate here justifies the last sentence.
Anything you need to know and how will be found here, I garuantee it! :)

Chameleons are definitly high maintenance species that need devoted, heartful care than most reptiles need. Although youll commonly hear "chameleons arent good for first time pets" etc. but as long as you consume the correct care from knowlegable sites, and get right information from users on here like Chris Anderson, Trace, and tons and tons of others youll be fine man. Its not as complex as it seems, as long as you take it seriously it can turn out to be rewarding.:)

Wow! Thanks everyone! Really, your confidence is contagious! I will most deffinantly be doing this now. Waiting for pay day but have things writen down to get. I think I will get a starting kit from Chameleonsonly.com, wait two more weeks to do some research and ask questions as people here seem to be really freindly and helpful. Also going to do more research on Panther and Veiled Chameleon breeders. Deffinatnly have a road ahead of me but I am also very determend to do this right and looking foward to enjoying this wonderful animal!

By the way, everybody here has such beautiful Chameleons! Some colors really shock me.

Wow! Thanks everyone! Really, your confidence is contagious! I will most deffinantly be doing this now. Waiting for pay day but have things writen down to get. I think I will get a starting kit from Chameleonsonly.com, wait two more weeks to do some research and ask questions as people here seem to be really freindly and helpful. Also going to do more research on Panther and Veiled Chameleon breeders. Deffinatnly have a road ahead of me but I am also very determend to do this right and looking foward to enjoying this wonderful animal!

By the way, everybody here has such beautiful Chameleons! Some colors really shock me.

This is exactly what i did. I got my setup from chamsonly, set it up, then didnt get my cham for a couple weeks. This gave me time to get all the temps and watering correct without the cham in the cage. You can mess with the cage all you want and dont have to worry about stressing out your cham.

Before I got my first cham, Lily, I asked sooo many questions. The people I got her from were so nice and helpful. Really it seems daunting but once you get into a routine it's not difficult. Chams are such amazing and rewarding pets!

I really doubted my skills as a keeper before I got Lily, so much so, that I nearly changed my mind and didn't get her. I am so glad that I took the plunge - she was such a lovely cham and it was good having a slightly older established cham for the first one. I think that a baby would have been too much worry for me! I got my second (Amy) when she was 3 months old and she was soo small! I was ready for the challenge of rearing a baby this time around though!

Sounds like you will be a brilliant owner. Glad to see that you are asking questions and doing plenty of research first! It really does help to put your mind at rest. Also, having had suggies, you are also well aware of the importance of calcium for good bone health.

Back
Top Bottom