New Setup

angus

Hi, i am thinking of getting some Jackson's chameleons and would like to know if this setup would work. It would have 3 glass sides covered with plastic 3d aquarium backround with a mesh front and a mesh top, it would have a soil substrait and lots of live plants. I would also like to put in a waterfall with the water comeing from my aquariums filter system (the encloseure will be in my fishroom). at the bottom of the waterfall their would be a very small stream running down to the front of the cage with a plastic pond lining, this would have a lot of branches crossing and goeing into it so the chameleon could get out. for water i would have a drip system a submergible mist maker + daily spraying. the cage would be 3ft x 3ft x 5ft 5inches. As i am in the uk i do not think overheating would be a problem.

Do you think this setup would work?

Thanks,
angus

Like your name but not the waterfall idea. Basic works best for these guys. All screen, drainage, the right lights and temps, and some plants (at least one being almost as tall as the enclosure)

having a pool of water in the cage is usually not a good idea. the chameleons food can drown in it, and possibly even the chameleon. they will drink out of a water fall, but it usually just clutters up the cage. drip system is the best for it.

petsmart and petco have great terrariums for them. it has a fake rock background they love to climb on, and opens in the front and top. its rectangular too so they have room to climb up.

ummm... don't buy anything from petco and petsmart.
they will rip you off. why would you buy anything from a store who does not know anything about taking care of chameleon.

I think the post above me meant "exo terrarium".
If you want, just go to their website.

BUT, For true chameleon, i recommend all screen cage.

The only chameleon that can stand glass aquarium is pygmy.

Hi, i am thinking of getting some Jackson's chameleons and would like to know if this setup would work. It would have 3 glass sides covered with plastic 3d aquarium backround with a mesh front and a mesh top, it would have a soil substrait and lots of live plants. I would also like to put in a waterfall with the water comeing from my aquariums filter system (the encloseure will be in my fishroom). at the bottom of the waterfall their would be a very small stream running down to the front of the cage with a plastic pond lining, this would have a lot of branches crossing and goeing into it so the chameleon could get out. for water i would have a drip system a submergible mist maker + daily spraying. the cage would be 3ft x 3ft x 5ft 5inches. As i am in the uk i do not think overheating would be a problem.

Do you think this setup would work?

Thanks,
angus

had a waterfall, cham got dehydrated, went back to drip, cham got rehydrated.

ummm... don't buy anything from petco and petsmart.
they will rip you off. why would you buy anything from a store who does not know anything about taking care of chameleon.

I think the post above me meant "exo terrarium".
If you want, just go to their website.

BUT, For true chameleon, i recommend all screen cage.

The only chameleon that can stand glass aquarium is pygmy.

the terrariums they sale have nothing to do with their knowledge of chameleons at all. Besides, the knowledge should be ultimately possessed by the person making the purchases.

the terrariums they sale have nothing to do with their knowledge of chameleons at all. Besides, the knowledge should be ultimately possessed by the person making the purchases.

Why support a megacorporation that gives out deadly advice and doesn't care to change it when you can buy the same items, cheaper, from reliable reptile stores?

Well seeing as the only local pet store i like is nearly 40 miles away, and there are no others really any closer, I am somewhat forced to, but I dont mind it one bit. I dont take their advice or ask them how to do this or that. I do my own research and make the desicion myself.

Well seeing as the only local pet store i like is nearly 40 miles away, and there are no others really any closer, I am somewhat forced to, but I dont mind it one bit. I dont take their advice or ask them how to do this or that. I do my own research and make the desicion myself.

Best place to research and buy things for your cham is online if you have the time.

But, do the following
1. Kill the waterfall idea as said above
2. No substrate
3. Get a cage with ventilation on all sides, no glass/plastic etc.

I tried useing that submersible fogger above my female veileds cage so that the fog would fall inside in her cage thinking it would keep the humidity up... The only thing it did was make my veiled stand away from the fog and just watch the lil fog clouds fall. I dont think she liked it. haha. Simplicity is the best as previous people have said. Even if all of the ideas you had were safe to use for a cham set-up... through experience... it's a lot of work. I had anoles before that I had a little aquarium pump running a little stream that i made with granite slates and everything... it was so nice when it was clean. Eventually the pump tubing started growing mold inside the tubing, the water was poluted with dead crickets and lizard feces...the feces were sticking onto the stone slates. I was so motivated in cleaning it and maintaining the beauty of the stream, but eventually, i found myself growing tired of constantly having to disasemble the slates, clean the pump well, the tubing, the water... etc. I learned that simplicity is best. Keep it simple but not minimal.

Back
Top Bottom