New setup

Thompson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I finally got the mistking up and running in Leo’s new cage! Added a couple more live plants. I just need to add 1 more to that open space on the right side of the cage, maybe move a nozzle to the left side of the cage (makes more sense), and add a couple more branches in the middle, but all together this is the best setup I’ve done for my chameleons as of yet, I think! It works out better when you don’t have to rely on your parents for money for things for your pet lol.

Tell me what you think! I’ll be removing those two plants at the bottom but for now this is where they will go until I find a suitable place. he ficus tree was so alive when I first got it. If anyone could give tips on how to best revive one that would also be great.

Thanks !
313611A3-B06B-40AF-81C6-EA7688B94260.jpeg
245DEDC4-2D4E-4E01-BE2F-8E9C4204AF5B.jpeg
26561783-FBDB-49EA-A8A7-CFB34998F180.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you looked into dragon ledges? Then you can hang your plants and have a floating garden, as opposed to having your plants sitting on bins. That will you give you even more usable space throughout. Just a thought.
I like the amount of plants you have in there.
I am actually going to be buying a couple supplies from them including dragon ledges and especially the drainage bin.

Looks pretty good but from the pics i can't tell what your lighting situation is🤷‍♂️
I have a T5 10.0 UVB bulb (24") that goes across the top diagonally directly on top of the cage, a basking light fixture w/ a 50 watt halogen basking bulb I have aimed at the basking spot to the left of the cage (basking branch is 8" from top of screen cage) where the thermometer is reading 82F degrees. I do this so he can bask under both the UVB bulb and his basking bulb. I was going to use a 5.0 bulb, but since his cage is so large and he has plenty of spots he can escape the rays, I opted to go with the 10.0 this time. He does not tend to climb the top of his screen cage.

I also use two 6500K fluorescent daylight bulbs (48") that run directly on top of the cage for plant growth.

I finally got the mistking up and running in Leo’s new cage! Added a couple more live plants. I just need to add 1 more to that open space on the right side of the cage, maybe move a nozzle to the left side of the cage (makes more sense), and add a couple more branches in the middle, but all together this is the best setup I’ve done for my chameleons as of yet, I think! It works out better when you don’t have to rely on your parents for money for things for your pet lol.

Tell me what you think! I’ll be removing those two plants at the bottom but for now this is where they will go until I find a suitable place. he ficus tree was so alive when I first got it. If anyone could give tips on how to best revive one that would also be great.

Thanks !
View attachment 289921View attachment 289924View attachment 289923
Your cage looks awesome! 😍 Your little one is gonna be living the life in such a spacious setup! CaskAbove.com has some great tips on caring for plants, what’s your plant lighting and is your soil getting to dry out between watering? You might wanna check the roots for rot if cause that killed more than half my plants after I first set up my cage. ☺️

Your cage looks awesome! 😍 Your little one is gonna be living the life in such a spacious setup! CaskAbove.com has some great tips on caring for plants, what’s your plant lighting and is your soil getting to dry out between watering? You might wanna check the roots for rot if cause that killed more than half my plants after I first set up my cage. ☺️
Two 6500k linear daylight bulbs! I let the soil dry out a little before re-watering them. I have had trouble with repotting and my plants getting root rot in a couple of my plants as of late which I don't understand because they drain properly when I water them. Maybe I need to repot and use a soil/sand mixture on the plants that seem to be more prone to root rot. I will check out the link you provided. Thank you!

Two 6500k linear daylight bulbs! I let the soil dry out a little before re-watering them. I have had trouble with repotting and my plants getting root rot in a couple of my plants as of late which I don't understand because they drain properly when I water them. Maybe I need to repot and use a soil/sand mixture on the plants that seem to be more prone to root rot. I will check out the link you provided. Thank you!
Replanting might be the best. There’s a bunch of soil materials that help with drainage I’m sure you’ll find all of that in the website. If the roots have the rot you might still be able to save it with a little trimming and leaf pruning, I was able to get my maidenhair fern to recover by trimming the bad roots and ALL the leaves. I thought it was dead but it sprouted back from next to nothing, like a zombie! 😂

Replanting might be the best. There’s a bunch of soil materials that help with drainage I’m sure you’ll find all of that in the website. If the roots have the rot you might still be able to save it with a little trimming and leaf pruning, I was able to get my maidenhair fern to recover by trimming the bad roots and ALL the leaves. I thought it was dead but it sprouted back from next to nothing, like a zombie! 😂
lol ok if this ficus starts dropping more leaves and I don't see any new leaves starting to sprout I will repot it again with better drainage. I am trying to get a green thumb but ficus have always spited me 😅 Not even a dang hibiscus indoors in the past has been as hard for me to grow/keep alive than a ficus LMAO all my ficus have died slowly like this one is starting to and I haven't been able to figure it out. All other plants are good though :)

Thank you for your help.

I have a T5 10.0 UVB bulb (24") that goes across the top diagonally directly on top of the cage, a basking light fixture w/ a 50 watt halogen basking bulb I have aimed at the basking spot to the left of the cage (basking branch is 8" from top of screen cage) where the thermometer is reading 82F degrees. I do this so he can bask under both the UVB bulb and his basking bulb. I was going to use a 5.0 bulb, but since his cage is so large and he has plenty of spots he can escape the rays, I opted to go with the 10.0 this time. He does not tend to climb the top of his screen cage.

I also use two 6500K fluorescent daylight bulbs (48") that run directly on top of the cage for plant growth.
Do you have a Solarmeter 6.5 and is the basking bulb aimed over a different branch than the UVB? If so, how far away is that branch from the 10.0? Sorry, just worried over here!

Looks good.. I would move your sensor screen for the temp probe though. They like to die when they get wet.
Ficus are temperamental. They like to drop all their leaves just when you move them across the room. If it dropped them when you put it into the cage it may very well come back as long as its not too wet.

Do you have a Solarmeter 6.5 and is the basking bulb aimed over a different branch than the UVB? If so, how far away is that branch from the 10.0? Sorry, just worried over here!
I do not but That’s funny you ask cus I was on Amazon just now looking at them and some manzanita branches. I would get it tomorrow if I purchased today, but does anyone use any cheaper versions that work perfectly fine or is it gonna be a 200$ Purchase I’m gonna have to make lol. I have no problem doing so of course.

here are some pics and measurements from screen cage where lights are positioned (at the basking spot both uvb and uva lights are able to be absorbed and basked under here). I then transition the rest of the length of the uvb bulb diagonally away from the higher plants in the back and away from the rest of the three different levels of basking porches I provided him so that he may still bask under the uvb along the branch (but not the basking light) at least halfway along the rest of the branch as it goes higher up to the right side of the cage. The highest part of these basking porches is on the right side and this part does not sit directly underneath the uvb bulb, as it’s positioned over the lower canopy where he shouldn’t have a problem escaping rays if he wants to and the rays should not be high at all since they diminish dramatically with every inch you move away from it.
94E9F1A1-E2F5-43AB-BBFE-7BE5FB78F206.jpeg

How lights are positioned on top of screen above the basking spot

6AC3E8BB-B293-49AB-A868-6003142A3F7A.jpeg

I use a rock to tilt the basking fixture toward the basking spot so that the UVB bulb can also run across the basking spot, and to achieve the 85F basking temp.
CFF63208-863C-4667-B796-C04AA48DFC10.jpeg
112EFB83-8641-44EF-815C-64B78984668D.jpeg

This is what basking temp reads constantly after drying out and returning back to normal after misting. Drops to about 70F during mistings sometimes even 60F. I know ambient temp remains at a 70F-73F range throughout the day in the house and drops to 68F at night.
28EFEEBC-A278-47AE-B447-92EBB5FD339E.jpeg

The spot where the lights are focused is here and this is 9" from directly under the UVB bulb which sits on top of the screen cage.
698642F2-9104-4657-AF94-7AE9901D6F87.jpeg

This is the end of the basking branch where it goes higher up towards the top of the cage. The uvb bulb does not sit directly over this area but is diagonally positioned away from it, more toward the front of the cage about 10-20 degrees (of course guesstimating) away from this porch. Rays may fan out and affect this area , but this is also positioned near the end of the linear lamp where you should be getting weaker UVB readings anyway. So 5.5-6" away from the top of the screen cage and gets an indirect shower of UVB rays.

E285DCDF-D1CE-46EC-8DF0-956B9D48A94A.jpeg

This is the middle portion of the basking porches where the UVB runs right across them for the most part and is 7" away from the top of the cage and uvb bulb.
CEB6DDDD-2B61-41D7-9947-D0956AE79CF4.jpeg

This is where the end of the UVB bulb is on the right side away from the basking spot and rest of the basking branches, where it is positioned over the plants below. Top of plant is a full 12" away.

Attachments

• 922874AB-A1DF-445D-B2E2-2581841CD453.jpeg
    922874AB-A1DF-445D-B2E2-2581841CD453.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I do not but That’s funny you ask cus I was on Amazon just now looking at them and some manzanita branches. I would get it tomorrow if I purchased today, but does anyone use any cheaper versions that work perfectly fine or is it gonna be a 200$ Purchase I’m gonna have to make lol. I have no problem doing so of course.

here are some pics and measurements from screen cage where lights are positioned (at the basking spot both uvb and uva lights are able to be absorbed and basked under here). I then transition the rest of the length of the uvb bulb diagonally away from the higher plants in the back and away from the rest of the three different levels of basking porches I provided him so that he may still bask under the uvb along the branch (but not the basking light) at least halfway along the rest of the branch as it goes higher up to the right side of the cage. The highest part of these basking porches is on the right side and this part does not sit directly underneath the uvb bulb, as it’s positioned over the lower canopy where he shouldn’t have a problem escaping rays if he wants to and the rays should not be high at all since they diminish dramatically with every inch you move away from it.View attachment 289980View attachment 289981View attachment 289982View attachment 289983View attachment 289984View attachment 289985View attachment 289987View attachment 289988
I love manzanita branches. They're my favorite ones to use. My chameleons hang out on them the most and seem to enjoy them.

Looks good.. I would move your sensor screen for the temp probe though. They like to die when they get wet.
Ficus are temperamental. They like to drop all their leaves just when you move them across the room. If it dropped them when you put it into the cage it may very well come back as long as its not too wet.
You know what, that makes so much more sense to put it there lol. I'll move it now. Thanks.

I love manzanita branches. They're my favorite ones to use. My chameleons hang out on them the most and seem to enjoy them.
Oh I am in love with the way they look lmao. I was looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R3VXR4N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A22TPUITCOSAFF&psc=1 and I know it may be a little overkill but I'm trying to find a nice place to put it in the cage along with plant coverage because I love the abstract look of it.

And of course I need this when I start to take better photos when I get a new Nikon one of these days since my dumba** sold my Nikon for quick money in college lol. I miss it. Especially now that I have Leo who deserves a good photoshoot not taken from my iPhone lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FF7LPT6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1KTNMEGNF3G44&psc=1

You're making me jealous of the dragon ledges LMAO

I bet setting up the cage was so much funner and easier. I had to get creative and it wasn't the fun type of creative because the buckets look ugly to me haha. The ledges are going to be purchased but after everything important gets done first.

Also, it just dawned on me that Leo actually does not quite fit this little guy well so he will now forever be known as "Rigel" 😆after the supergiant blue star that shines with the light of 40k suns, located in the Orion belt. Astrology mixed in with my other passion, chameleons & he will hopefully be bright as hell blue like the star he's named after one day :cool:. Works out perfect lol

Last edited:
You're making me jealous of the dragon ledges LMAO

I bet setting up the cage was so much funner and easier. I had to get creative and it wasn't the fun type of creative because the buckets look ugly to me haha. The ledges are going to be purchased but after everything important gets done first.
I love the ledges! It was a huge help to hang my branches and stuff higher. Before I went bioactive I had her plant pots hanging, and that was wonderful so I could easily clean the bottom of the enclosure. I recommend the ledges all the time. And I have even seen some people create their own ledges with wood or aluminum.

I am actually hesitant on buying the ledges and the drainage trey from them rn just because I'm going to see if I can produce something similar myself with some supplies I have that could be converted. Saving money where you can is key lmaoooo

Rigel is a great name.
And saving money is a great idea, you'll definitely be investing more here and there anyway!
I got the ledges and the drainage tray. I do not regret it. That being said, if you're handy and have the materials, GO FOR IT and build your own stuff. It will make you feel proud, and make your wallet happier too.

Back
Top Bottom