NEW SETUP, WOULD LOVE ANY ADVICE

How do people feel about LEDS. I have a 48" orbit Aqurium light, has all the bells and whistles. Thunder storms, sunrise, sunset... I got my T5 HO ballast but have to wait to get the correct bulbs. Any thoughts, I also have 2 X 24 w uvb bulbs, plus a 100w basking spot, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Hi there. Just wanted to chime in here. 2 uvb bulbs at that level will be far too much for a Panther. At most Panthers are recommended to have a 10.0 or 12% and only when there is dense foliage.

To the OP @JIFFYPOP I have a quad unit for my Veiled I run a 12% arcadia, 1 plant pro bulb, and two 6500 daylight bulbs. Depending on your highest basking level a 12% may be fine but please do not run two uvb bulbs. It will provide too much UVB for a Panther. Panther's at most would need a 3 UVI range but they have to have the ability to get down away from the UVB. The UVI level of the UVB will decrease as you move away from the screen that the fixture is sitting on. You want the fixture to run the length of the cage.
Here are my levels however they will vary from yours due to not having the exact same bulbs, fixture, and cage that I do. The inches refers to the actual level measured away from the top screen beneath the light. So if your highest basking branch is 7 inches below your screen and your cham's back rises 2 inches above it this is putting him into a 5 inch range. Which would mean the level of UVB the cham is getting exposed to is roughly a 3 UVI.

Measurement is from screen down and the UVI level that coordinates with it. With a quad T5HO fixture and a 12% Arcadia UVB bulb on a Dragon Strand Enclosure.…

3 inches = 4.5 UVI
4 inches = 3.8 UVI
5 inches = 3.0 UVI
6 inches = 2.5 UVI
7 inches = 2.1 UVI
8 inches = 1.8 UVI
9 inches = 1.4 UVI
10 inches = 1.2 UVI
11 inches = 1.0 UVI
12 inches = 0.8 UVI
15 inches = 0.01 UVI to nothing

Here is an image of my lighting and how it runs across the enclosure.

View attachment 229113

This is what people mean by densely planted and lots of horizontal branches. Front view and side view.

Hi there. Just wanted to chime in here. 2 uvb bulbs at that level will be far too much for a Panther. At most Panthers are recommended to have a 10.0 or 12% and only when there is dense foliage.

To the OP @JIFFYPOP I have a quad unit for my Veiled I run a 12% arcadia, 1 plant pro bulb, and two 6500 daylight bulbs. Depending on your highest basking level a 12% may be fine but please do not run two uvb bulbs. It will provide too much UVB for a Panther. Panther's at most would need a 3 UVI range but they have to have the ability to get down away from the UVB. The UVI level of the UVB will decrease as you move away from the screen that the fixture is sitting on. You want the fixture to run the length of the cage.
Here are my levels however they will vary from yours due to not having the exact same bulbs, fixture, and cage that I do. The inches refers to the actual level measured away from the top screen beneath the light. So if your highest basking branch is 7 inches below your screen and your cham's back rises 2 inches above it this is putting him into a 5 inch range. Which would mean the level of UVB the cham is getting exposed to is roughly a 3 UVI.

Measurement is from screen down and the UVI level that coordinates with it. With a quad T5HO fixture and a 12% Arcadia UVB bulb on a Dragon Strand Enclosure.…

3 inches = 4.5 UVI
4 inches = 3.8 UVI
5 inches = 3.0 UVI
6 inches = 2.5 UVI
7 inches = 2.1 UVI
8 inches = 1.8 UVI
9 inches = 1.4 UVI
10 inches = 1.2 UVI
11 inches = 1.0 UVI
12 inches = 0.8 UVI

View attachment 229113

This is what people mean by densely planted and lots of horizontal branches. Front view and side view.

View attachment 229116View attachment 229115
I trust

3 inches = 4.5 UVI
4 inches = 3.8 UVI
5 inches = 3.0 UVI
6 inches = 2.5 UVI
7 inches = 2.1 UVI
8 inches = 1.8 UVI
9 inches = 1.4 UVI
10 inches = 1.2 UVI
11 inches = 1.0 UVI
12 inches = 0.8 UVI

View attachment 229113

View attachment 229116View attachment 229115
Beman is the senior chammer here: trust Beman’s insights here. I have veileds so I usually don’t worry about an overdose of uvb. That being said, panthers are quite different from veileds and I defer to Beman on this one.

Got my bulbs today, was all pumped up. Only 2 of the lights work on my "effing" fixture. Gotta love buying shit off the internet lol. So now i have the bulbs but no fixture, lol.

Got my bulbs today, was all pumped up. Only 2 of the lights work on my "effing" fixture. Gotta love buying shit off the internet lol. So now i have the bulbs but no fixture, lol.
Ohhh that sucks what is the fixture issue?

It has two switches, inside bulbs, then the outside. My assumption is theres something wrong with the outside ballast. Im pretty handy, but if the ballast itself is a dud I can't solder my way out of that, lol

It has two switches, inside bulbs, then the outside. My assumption is theres something wrong with the outside ballast. Im pretty handy, but if the ballast itself is a dud I can't solder my way out of that, lol
Oh you lost me at switches followed my ballasts :hilarious:

Oh you lost me at switches followed my ballasts :hilarious:
lol, wiring issue, bulbs are brand new from local petstore. The thingy dingy , isnt dinging, lol. Ya gotta return it, which sucks cause I got a great deal on it... now I know why.lol

lol, wiring issue, bulbs are brand new from local petstore. The thingy dingy , isnt dinging, lol. Ya gotta return it, which sucks cause I got a great deal on it... now I know why.lol
Lol so sucks! Check out lightyourreptiles.com his things and dings work lol

lmao, I bought from an auction site, ill check it out. Thanks I can return this, just sucks cause I got a hell of a deal on It. Still might take a look at it see if I can fix it, worth a shot I guess.

So had the two T5 HO bulbs running (10.0 UVB, and and 10000k) had it on one side (maybe 1/3 tops) of his viv., theres stilll a 75 w basking lamp in one corner, and the 250 w metal halide. Im stilll trying to find UVB specs on it, or just replace it. My issue is, he hates the t5s, only goes to the metal halide now. Did I do something wrong? I havent gotten a UVB tester yet, but plan on it. Temps and humdity are good too. I have a digital temp/humidity meter

Last edited:
So had the two T5 HO bulbs running (10.0 UVB, and and 10000k) had it on one side (maybe 1/3 tops) of his viv., theres stilll a 75 w basking lamp in one corner, and the 250 w metal halide. Im stilll trying to find UVB specs on it, or just replace it. My issue is, he hates the t5s, only goes to the metal halide now. Did I do something wrong? I havent gotten a UVB tester yet, but plan on it. Temps and humdity are good too. I have a digital temp/humidity meter
Why are you running MH as well as the T5? Typically they are only used on very large free range enclosures and only with a solarmeter to measure the UVI level. You can over expose if you do not know what your UVI output is.

I agree with Beman, above. The MH should go. If you really want to use it for something, set up a small hydroponic garden and grow collard greens, and other healthy gutloads.

Why are you running MH as well as the T5? Typically they are only used on very large free range enclosures and only with a solarmeter to measure the UVI level. You can over expose if you do not know what your UVI output is.
Its a very large enclosure, was still running it keep plants going. I just bought a t5ho 4 tube 48", but two of the bulbs wont run. Hes got lots of shade, light is a good distant from cage now too. Ima crack open the light, and throw multimeter on it. Hopefully I can fix it. Then will feel better bout taking down Mh. And ya its going back to hydroponic system. Thats a great idea of growing food to gutload. Forsure, Im gonna grab A UV meter, asap. Thanks again for the help guys and gals

Last edited:
So been a few days since hooked up t5 ho bulbs, he seems to like em, and plants seem to be doing fine. MH already been repurposed. Thanks again for all the help

Back
Top Bottom