new setup every week

dodolah

Retired Moderator
hey I got a quick question.

I am about to completely clean his cage tomorrow (I am planning to do this
once a week).
when you guys clean, do you put all the fake vines in
the exact set up?
what happen if you change the position of the setup here and there?
would it stress the chameleon knowing that the branches that are used to b there are now set up differently?

sorry if the question sounds silly..
I am trying to absorb all the knowledge i can get on how to take care a baby veiled.

thanks

Again, not a silly question.
It is my opinion that the enclosure should not be tampered with too much.
Regular cleaning is necessary but removing all the "furniture" is not.
Remember, these are very territorial animals..if you are changing their environment every week...you are putting them in an unfamiliar place every 7 days. He will never relax, get comfortable, or enjoy any sense of ownership of his territory.
Wipe things down, clean the poop and leave it alone. A big cleaning doesn't have to happen that often, and after, you should re-create the environment as close to the same as possible.

-Brad

I (almost) always put things back the way they were.

I have heard it said that it does upset them when everything is moved around. It might make them feel like they are in a new territory/place and they have to reclaim the territory/space....but I can't say for sure if that's true or not.

Again, not a silly question.
It is my opinion that the enclosure should not be tampered with too much.
Regular cleaning is necessary but removing all the "furniture" is not.
Remember, these are very territorial animals..if you are changing their environment every week...you are putting them in an unfamiliar place every 7 days. He will never relax, get comfortable, or enjoy any sense of ownership of his territory.
Wipe things down, clean the poop and leave it alone. A big cleaning doesn't have to happen that often, and after, you should re-create the environment as close to the same as possible.

-Brad

that's what i thought too... but it's kinda hard to remove all the poop in my setting without removing the furniture.. sometime he poops all the way to the corner where it's inaccessible..
how often you do the big cleaning?

I (almost) always put things back the way they were.

I have heard it said that it does upset them when everything is moved around. It might make them feel like they are in a new territory/place and they have to reclaim the territory/space....but I can't say for sure if that's true or not.

how often do you do the "big" cleaning, kinyonga?
reading this made me want to postpone the big cleaning for another week..
(i have lots of foliage and branches, it's kinda hard to recreate the setup exactly alike)

3 or 4 times a year.
poop is cleaned daily (what I can find anyway) and I wipe down the floor at least once a week and remove dead leaves and debris.
These are clean animals so I don't find more than this necessary.
You will find that eventually they establish a bathroom spot which makes it easy to know where the daily poop will be.
Big cleanings involve a 10% bleach solution and a lot of scrubbing and rinsing ( I don't look forward to them).

-Brad

3 or 4 times a year.
poop is cleaned daily (what I can find anyway) and I wipe down the floor at least once a week and remove dead leaves and debris.
These are clean animals so I don't find more than this necessary.
You will find that eventually they establish a bathroom spot which makes it easy to know where the daily poop will be.
Big cleanings involve a 10% bleach solution and a lot of scrubbing and rinsing ( I don't look forward to them).

-Brad

lol...
yeah... it is a hassle... ok.. i'll check all around to see if he has establish a spot.. for now it seem he just go wherever he likes.

Back
Top Bottom