New set-up shopping list - can i get a glance over?

Mtnlaurel

Hey guys-
First time poster, long time lurker, getting ready to spend a bunch of money and would sure like for someone to check over my list and see if what I have looks appropriate, and offer constructive feedback wherever you see fit. I'd much prefer to get it right the first time

To begin with, I am planning to purchase a Juvenile male panther, although I haven't ordered anything yet, I will be contacting the site sponsor breeders as I can get in touch. I do realize my requirements will change as the cham matures. Expecting to spend between $300 - $500, including shipping.

Enclosure –
DIYcages.com 16”x16”x30” $75
http://www.diycages.com/collections...meleon-cages/products/sc-2-medium-screen-cage
(will be upgraded upon maturity, already working up plans)

Lighting-
T5 HO 24” Double Fixture – with Arcadia 6% and 6500K bulbs - $90
(Is this still an appropriate light for a Juvenile?)
https://www.canvaschameleons.com/product/24-ho-t5-dual-light-fixture-arcadia-6-6-5k-daylight-bulb/

Basking Light - $15 tops
(may not be necessary until maturity, will be based off ambient temp readings before the little guy moves in, with multiple readings to prevent burning. I know that surface temperatures tend to run higher than air temps, am planning on measuring with a heat gun - appropriate??)

Misting -
Mistking Starter System with Hygrostat controller and double mist assembly - $158
http://www.mistking.com/Starter-Misting-System-v4-MKMSS-125-50.html

Thermometer/Hygrometer- (2)
Digital Probe Thermometer/Hygrometer -$8 x 2 = $16
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Hatching-Incubator/dp/B00S5NQZQW

Live Plants -
Pothos, Schefflera, Ficus - $50
Home Depot – repotted with Organic potting soil and screened to prevent impaction

Supplements - Approximately $60
Rep-Cal –
Calcium w/o D3 – each feeding on hard bodied feeders
Calcium w/D3 – bi-weekly, alternating schedules
Reptivite Multivitamin – bi-weekly, alternating schedules
Repashy Bug Burger

Feeder insects - $30/month?
I think this will come down once I get the hang of it....
Small Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Superworms – Calcium rich veg gut loading
Hornworms, Silkworms, Waxworms – variety & training treats

And realistically, I probably ought to add about $60 for shipping fees for all this equipment & bugs. :-(

I know there will be other miscellaneous stuff, but i'm really hoping this covers the bulk of it, and that my estimates are roughly on the high end. Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

I am particularly interested i learning more about feeding, supplementation and insect rearing.
I'd also love to see some slick mist & drainage set ups. We are a pretty handy DIY family. :)

Looks great. You'll be super happy you started with the good lighting and misting system to start with.

My suggestion is just start searching each feeder with the search option on here and learning what others do. Browse through the enclosure threads and see what others are doing or have done. There are many many threads on both feeders and drainage/misting set ups.

Just some advice don't go hydrostat timer for the mistking. It is more for botanical applications and while it does work, it only has on, off, and humidity setting. It will maintain your humidity, but you cannot program a misting schedule with it. I made the same mistake and had to purchased the regular seconds timer and switch it out. now there's a hole in my screen where I ranthe probe and an unused hygrostat timer.

Hey guys-
First time poster, long time lurker, getting ready to spend a bunch of money and would sure like for someone to check over my list and see if what I have looks appropriate, and offer constructive feedback wherever you see fit. I'd much prefer to get it right the first time

To begin with, I am planning to purchase a Juvenile male panther, although I haven't ordered anything yet, I will be contacting the site sponsor breeders as I can get in touch. I do realize my requirements will change as the cham matures. Expecting to spend between $300 - $500, including shipping.

Enclosure –
DIYcages.com 16”x16”x30” $75
http://www.diycages.com/collections...meleon-cages/products/sc-2-medium-screen-cage
(will be upgraded upon maturity, already working up plans)

Lighting-
T5 HO 24” Double Fixture – with Arcadia 6% and 6500K bulbs - $90
(Is this still an appropriate light for a Juvenile?)
https://www.canvaschameleons.com/product/24-ho-t5-dual-light-fixture-arcadia-6-6-5k-daylight-bulb/

Basking Light - $15 tops
(may not be necessary until maturity, will be based off ambient temp readings before the little guy moves in, with multiple readings to prevent burning. I know that surface temperatures tend to run higher than air temps, am planning on measuring with a heat gun - appropriate??)

Misting -
Mistking Starter System with Hygrostat controller and double mist assembly - $158
http://www.mistking.com/Starter-Misting-System-v4-MKMSS-125-50.html

Thermometer/Hygrometer- (2)
Digital Probe Thermometer/Hygrometer -$8 x 2 = $16
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Hatching-Incubator/dp/B00S5NQZQW

Live Plants -
Pothos, Schefflera, Ficus - $50
Home Depot – repotted with Organic potting soil and screened to prevent impaction

Supplements - Approximately $60
Rep-Cal –
Calcium w/o D3 – each feeding on hard bodied feeders
Calcium w/D3 – bi-weekly, alternating schedules
Reptivite Multivitamin – bi-weekly, alternating schedules
Repashy Bug Burger

Feeder insects - $30/month?
I think this will come down once I get the hang of it....
Small Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Superworms – Calcium rich veg gut loading
Hornworms, Silkworms, Waxworms – variety & training treats

And realistically, I probably ought to add about $60 for shipping fees for all this equipment & bugs. :-(

I know there will be other miscellaneous stuff, but i'm really hoping this covers the bulk of it, and that my estimates are roughly on the high end. Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

I am particularly interested i learning more about feeding, supplementation and insect rearing.
I'd also love to see some slick mist & drainage set ups. We are a pretty handy DIY family. :)
I have also heard reptivite is not formulated for chams and thus is far to hard on their organs

I have a Climist misting system my entire setup for 1 cage was 110$. It works as well as my friends Mistking and comes with a seconds timer. They were on sale from a site sponsor Coastal Silkworms. They took good care of me despite a hurricane going thru their area. Just a heads up for your budget.

I have also heard reptivite is not formulated for chams and thus is far to hard on their organs
Hey man, thanks for the heads up on both of those... do you have a recommendation for a better multivitamin? I def won't bother w the hydrostat then. Cheaper anyway. :) great feedback thanks so much

I have a Climist misting system my entire setup for 1 cage was 110$. It works as well as my friends Mistking and comes with a seconds timer. They were on sale from a site sponsor Coastal Silkworms. They took good care of me despite a hurricane going thru their area. Just a heads up for your budget.

You are the second person to recommend this system to me, and I'm heavily considering it. One factor for going with the Mistking system was the option for a Hygrostat, but t sounds like that is not the way to go which really evens things up a bit.

Hey man, thanks for the heads up on both of those... do you have a recommendation for a better multivitamin? I def won't bother w the hydrostat then. Cheaper anyway. :) great feedback thanks so much
repcal herptivite. Most pet strores carry it and I heard someone say it was formulated for more sensitive reptiles. So its smooth sailing boiiiiiii

repcal herptivite. Most pet strores carry it and I heard someone say it was formulated for more sensitive reptiles. So its smooth sailing boiiiiiii

Heard that... reptivite, herptivite...
Thanks for getting me straight!

The repcal herptivite doesn't have preformed vitamin A, so you should consider a vitamin product, such as Repashy plus or the reptivite.
Just use them sparingly and don't coat all of the feeders. Just lightly dust about 1/3 of them at supplement time.

Back
Top Bottom