New Reptile Room?

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I finally cleared out the back room in my basement and I think this will become my first dedicated reptile room! There is fresh air from a window, it’s well lit, has plenty of outlets, and access to a utility sink for water and for washing equipment. I can probably fit 3 XL enclosures in here. Once I figure out how to get an AC unit set up for temp drops and humidity control, I’ll start setting up my buddies with their own private and peaceful room!

Attachments

• 9593F845-8075-4871-B655-166F784A2B33.jpeg
    9593F845-8075-4871-B655-166F784A2B33.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It’s right behind my finished basement. I love having them upstairs so I can see them but I think putting them in a quiet low-traffic room will make them happy. Just need to make sure I get the ventilation and temp right so there’s no build up of humidity in there with mold or respiratory issues.

Lu
I finally cleared out the back room in my basement and I think this will become my first dedicated reptile room! There is fresh air from a window, it’s well lit, has plenty of outlets, and access to a utility sink for water and for washing equipment. I can probably fit 3 XL enclosures in here. Once I figure out how to get an AC unit set up for temp drops and humidity control, I’ll start setting up my buddies with their own private and peaceful room!
Lucky! That’s awesome

It’s right behind my finished basement. I love having them upstairs so I can see them but I think putting them in a quiet low-traffic room will make them happy. Just need to make sure I get the ventilation and temp right so there’s no build up of humidity in there with mold or respiratory issues.
The ac should help humidity go down. I did a similar thing in my warehouse with concrete walls. Got a mini split ac it works great. I am in there multiple times a day and because it is easier to control temps its less stress for me than having them in the house (only veiled is since he likes it warmer). It's also great because when you drop a water jug or other accidents you don't do much damage.

The ac should help humidity go down. I did a similar thing in my warehouse with concrete walls. Got a mini split ac it works great. I am in there multiple times a day and because it is easier to control temps its less stress for me than having them in the house (only veiled is since he likes it warmer). It's also great because when you drop a water jug or other accidents you don't do much damage.
This is a lot simpler than I thought. The portable AC unit gets mounted slightly higher than the utility sink with a condensate line running into the sink for continuous drainage. The exhaust hose is nothing more than flexible tubing for a dryer vent, so now it’s just mounting a plate on the window for the exhaust vent. And these units are programmable via wifi and double as dehumidifiers.

I love having them upstairs so I can see them
That is the biggest drawback to having your animals in their own room or space - not really able to enjoy them as much. I loved having my chams in my bedroom - could just lay on the bed and watch them. It’s not as comfortable hanging out in their room - haven’t had space for a comfy chair. They do get their privacy though, which I’m sure they appreciate.

The window AC unit was so easy to install . I just removed the window with a few screws, cut a board to cross the top, screwed in the side flaps, and it’s done. Now I can get some good night time drops! A humidifier will help to keep humidity up in the room as the AC pulls it out.

I love having a utility sink right next to the enclosure for easy cleanup.

Next up are the Husky racks from my local hardware store and some drainage bins underneath. I’ll do two enclosures side by side with coroplast between to block their view of each other.

Some people store fine wine in cellars…others fine chameleons.

Attachments

• 8700E27B-E92D-4322-892A-EF52897828A4.jpeg
    8700E27B-E92D-4322-892A-EF52897828A4.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 34
The window AC unit was so easy to install . I just removed the window with a few screws, cut a board to cross the top, screwed in the side flaps, and it’s done. Now I can get some good night time drops! A humidifier will help to keep humidity up in the room as the AC pulls it out.

I love having a utility sink right next to the enclosure for easy cleanup.

Next up are the Husky racks from my local hardware store and some drainage bins underneath. I’ll do two enclosures side by side with coroplast between to block their view of each other.

Some people store fine wine in cellars…others fine chameleons.
Oh I would pass up a wine cellar for a chameleon room any day 🤓🤓🤓

Back
Top Bottom