New Renovation Project

Veiled Lady

Hey all!
I was originally going to build an enclosure for my female veiled, Lady, but decided to go a different route. With the prices of wood steadily rising, inflation on everything else, having to worry about water proofing, VOCs, and everything else on the list to make sure she has an adequate, safe habitat, my anxiety got the best of me and I decided doing a diy build was not for me right now. On the other hand, I sorely dislike the reptibreeze cage she is currently in and can not bring myself to pay the $120 or so to purchase the XL screen enclosure of any brand because I know I will be unhappy and will have to fight to make modifications to allow for water run off. However, Lady needs a bigger space already, so this is what I have come up with...

I was given a bird cage for free. The person knows I own a cham and thought I could use it. It's dimensions are 18"x18"x51.5"(from floor to top). The cage space itself is 18"x18"x38.5". It is on wheels, but those will be taken off.
Disclaimer: I have already read through every post on here about why a bird cage is a bad idea to use for a chameleon cage. I can see why this is the case when you are buying the bird cage along with all the materials to modify it. That is not the case here since the cage was free and I don't keep birds.
20220318_215758.jpg

My intentions:
First, I purchased aluminum screen mesh to line the inside of the cage with. This is $9 per roll and I bought 2 rolls just to be safe. $18 total.
20220318_215912.jpg

Next, I purchased a large plant pot to sit in the bottom of the cage. The pot has a 16" circumference and is 16" deep. Because I have a female veiled, I know she needs a lay bin and this will serve as that. She will be able to dig down and bury her eggs wherever she pleases. The pot was $12 and the catcher under it was $6, so $18 total.
20220318_215847.jpg

The tray at the bottom of the cage will be cut for the pot to sit in. This will give an additional 10" to 12" (estimated) to the 38" of cage space because I won't have to accommodate for a lay bin and it also utilizes the dead space underneath the bottom of the cage.
Next, I purchased some new plants to go with her existing. She has a Ficus, a Bromelaid, and an Umbrella tree in her current enclosure that will be planted in the big pot of her new one. (They are out growing their small pots anyway). She also has 2 Pothos that will be moved over to the new enclosure once I finish. I have 2 Croton plants (I think that's their names) that I know are safe for Veiled's and I can add to the enclosure, but those are not definite just yet. I purchased 3 additional Pothos that are rather small and will eventually fill out the cage. 2 of them were $8 each and 1 was $5. I bought a small English Ivy to hang for $3, and 2 more Bromelaids for $10 each, a total of $45 or so on plants.
20220318_215854_HDR.jpg

My son and I went on a hike today and collected some branches of all sizes to use in her enclosure as well. So I will be disinfecting these ahead of my modifications so that they will be ready to go when I am done.
20220318_142421_HDR.jpg

I have spent approximately $81, give or take a little, so far.

So... what do ya'll think? Give me feedback, please, and I will post as I work on it to show my progress.

I like that idea.
I have a HUGE one in my backyard that I wanted to put into my chameleons enclosure for the longest time.
Never thought of taking it to my classroom. 🤔
I have a number of plants in my classroom. It makes me happier and the students always say it gives my classroom a "home-y" feeling. I have 2 hanging succulent baskets, 3 hanging pothos, a Draceana, an Umbrella tree, a Bromelaid, a money tree, a pot of African Daisies, and 2 Croton plants. Now, I guess I will be adding an English Ivy to the bunch since it is not safe for Chams. Lol.

I have the same cage and was going to do the same thing except I wasn't going to use any mesh for it. I was just going to leave it as is since his head was bigger than the space between the bars. Also I was going to leave the wheels on in case I wanted to roll it outside for some natural sunlight and rain in the summer. But yes I think you have a great idea. Can't wait to see the end result.

REALITY CHECK:
On the other hand, I sorely dislike the reptibreeze cage she is currently in and can not bring myself to pay the $120 or so to purchase the XL screen enclosure of any brand because I know I will be unhappy and will have to fight to make modifications to allow for water run off. However, Lady needs a bigger space already, so this is what I have come up with...
I'm really glad you said that, because I can't bring myself to encourage this.
Free or not, 18 x 18 is just plain too small for an adult veiled.

Minimum cage size:​

2′ x 2′ x 4′ or 36″ x 18″ x 36″​

Ideal cage size:​

4′ x 2′ x 4′ or Greater

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
24 x 24 = 576 sq. in.
18 x 18 = 324 sq. in.
It's too small by 252 sq. in. (over 40%)
Horizontal space is important; this is why 36 x 18 is mentioned as an alternative.

Next, I purchased a large plant pot to sit in the bottom of the cage. The pot has a 16" circumference and is 16" deep. Because I have a female veiled, I know she needs a lay bin and this will serve as that. She will be able to dig down and bury her eggs wherever she pleases. The pot was $12 and the catcher under it was $6, so $18 total.
Next, I purchased some new plants to go with her existing. She has a Ficus, a Bromelaid, and an Umbrella tree in her current enclosure that will be planted in the big pot of her new one.
You're planning on combining the centerpiece pot and lay bin? :unsure:
IDK if this is wise. Will she be able to dig through all the roots? :unsure:
(Assuming you meant 16" diameter) That leaves 8" between stem and edge of pot for digging, and that pot appears to narrow significantly.
Also, soil types for lay bins and Schefflera arboricola are somewhat different.

If it becomes necessary, will you be able to access (remove) that pot through those doors? :unsure:

Just for comparison, I have a pretty substantial Schefflera (36"H) that's doing great in just an 8" pot.
Something that size would allow a separate lay bin.

I agree with leaving out the English Ivy. I had one for a short time, but removed it before it got large enough that my cham noticed it.

Cutting a hole in the bottom has some merit, though IDK if—or how—it will address the runoff issue. :unsure:

I would really like to help with this—and I believe I could—enclosures are my strong suit, but I can't reconcile throwing good money after bad.

As an alternative to DIY (which may or may not save any money) I'd suggest
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1
Climatological data for Spring, TX is diversified enough that a hybrid enclosure is not only justified, I would highly recommend it.

You could still recess the pot in a Zen, though I still don't know about double-duty with a lay bin.
A 24 x 24 should have room for both.

Last edited:
Pro tip: charcoal or black aluminum screen will give you better visibility into the cage.

If you can exchange what you have it will be worth it. It might be a few bucks more.

Free or not, 18 x 18 is just plain too small for an adult veiled.
Funny you say that. I have read through a lot of threads in this community and on more than 1 occasion I have found where someone has stated that a female veiled can live in an 18x18x36 enclosure just fine. Of course, bigger is better, these are minimum size requirements, and it all depends on the set up of the cage with the right amount of foliage (not too little, not too much), branches, gradients, etc. For example:
Right from the care sheet -
screen cage (length x width x height):

juveniles/sub-adults
: 16x16x30" (40x40x76cm)
adult female minimum: 18x18x36" (45x45x90cm)
adult male minimum: 24x24x48" (60x60x120cm)
You can always go bigger with a cage or "enclosure"
And
"Female Panther Chameleons have been successfully kept in 18″ x 18″ x 36″ cages so the care sheets that list this smaller size are not wrong."
From https://chameleonacademy.com/minimum-female-chameleon-cage-size/

The cham community generally treats Panthers and Veileds the same in regards to the enclosure sizes.
But anything larger than the 18x18x38 is not practical for me at this very moment in time. I have every intention of upgrading her cage again into something larger, but for $80 I am currently upgrading her from a 16x16x30 reptibreeze chameleon kit enclosure that has left her with very little space because of lay bin and pots.
Will she be able to dig through all the roots?
Valid point to consider, so I will be rethinking what I plant into the pot.
Also, soil types for lay bins and Schefflera arboricola are somewhat different.
I currently have my Schefflera in a 50/50 mix of organic soil and play sand and it is doing well. So I don't think that is an issue.
I have the same cage and was going to do the same thing except I wasn't going to use any mesh for it.
My girl is only 4 months so I feel reasonably sure her head can fit through the bars, which is why I am adding the mesh. I'm not so concerned with feeders because I have cup fed roaches and silks since I got her and have purchased a feeder runner for her crickets. But she has a personality of an escape artist so I am going to play it safe.
Pro tip: charcoal or black aluminum screen will give you better visibility into the cage.
Thank you for this. I will going to exchange this out shortly.

Funny you say that. I have read through a lot of threads in this community and on more than 1 occasion I have found where someone has stated that a female veiled can live in an 18x18x36 enclosure just fine. Of course, bigger is better, these are minimum size requirements, and it all depends on the set up of the cage with the right amount of foliage (not too little, not too much), branches, gradients, etc.
How old were the threads? Thinking on this (and other facets of keeping) change. I think the operative phrase above is bolded. It can be a very difficult balance to reach.
Old-timers are often likely to stick with what they know (and have) rather than change. Human nature to resist change.

And
"Female Panther Chameleons have been successfully kept in 18″ x 18″ x 36″ cages so the care sheets that list this smaller size are not wrong."
From https://chameleonacademy.com/minimum-female-chameleon-cage-size/
Yes, but he still updated his care sheet (as I understand it) to reflect reconsidered thinking, and to be easier for novices and experts to be on the same page. 24 x 24 enclosures weren't always readily available commercially, and DS doesn't offer an 18 x 18.

"He Who Shall Not Be Named" also specifies larger enclosures for veileds, and he's allegedly the expert on that species.
The bigger, the better!
Minimum 36 x 18 x 36in (90 x 45 x 90 cm)
https://d6scj24zvfbbo.cloudfront.ne... calyptratus Indoor Housing.pdf?ph=e676fed4c2

But anything larger than the 18x18x38 is not practical for me at this very moment in time.
I get it, and I don't want to argue. I feel strongly about this, I know there is/will be disagreement, and I tried to offer some constructive suggestions where I could.

I hope you will go larger ASAP. I think you'll both be happier. ;)

Im also using a bird cage for my male veiled.

Good thing abt bird cage is it has very good ventilation and I can slot the vines, branches into the gaps and also easier to just use any S hooks to hold my plant pots.

I will also highly recommend airplants to complement your cage since they are so easy to maintain.

Below are how my cage looks like.

Hope it gives u some comfort n ideas. Cheers!

B219BF4A-6D7C-42D5-B645-EE5F006146E0.jpeg
3DC046AD-DCD0-4242-AC1C-36C9846DAC9F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom