new quad neonates

pamnsam94

Established Member
Five out of ten eggs (laid on on 9/10/12) have hatched. Four eggs presumably were not fertile because they molded over just 16 days after being laid. Of the remaining 6, one started hatching two days ago, but nothing happened (the slits remained the same). I was worried (the egg was insufficiently slit for the neonate to emerge) because the egg looked exactly the same today as it did two days ago. So today, I decided to cut more slits in that egg. The good news is that he came the rest of the way out soon after I did that. I usually make it a practice to never try to "help" a baby out of its egg, because it is often said that if a baby is too weak to get out on his own, it usually doesn't survive anyway. The only time I cut open eggs is after I'm sure the neonate is dead. However, in this particular case, I decided to make a few additional cuts. He seems to be very active, but time will tell. Two additional babies hatched today and along with the two that hatched yesterday, I ended up with 5 out of the 6 hatching. Ever more mouths to feed. :D

Perry

Pics to follow. I also have video of one of them hatching. I've never posted video, but I might give it a try, make a link, etc.

Perry

Here are a few pics. The first is one is of a neonate that's only about 5 minutes old. I also took video of him hatching. You have to feel kind of sorry for them when vermiculite sticks all over them. :( The other two shots are for size comparisons between a 10 month old, a 4 month old and one of the new babies.

Perry

Attachments

• new quad neonates.jpg
    new quad neonates.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00939.jpg
    DSC00939.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00943.jpg
    DSC00943.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 77
Back