New plant stressing her out?

Sead

I’ve had my girl for a little over 5 months. She’s been great. I don’t handle her a lot only to deep clean the cage and once to go to the vet for a check up (they said she was healthy). I added a Pothos into her cage two days ago and she’s been moody ever since. Constantly showing stress colors, getting all puffy, and has her karate chop arm out most of the time. She still eats like she did before just don’t want to calm down XD I know that they can be temperamental when things are changed but I’m worried about her being stressed for so long. Main question is, should I just let her get used to it or move it out if she hasn’t calmed down in a couple more days?? This is how she looks all the time now. Thanks!!

Attachments

• E35F0E92-40A0-4081-A999-A79EE9754C55.jpeg
    E35F0E92-40A0-4081-A999-A79EE9754C55.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 105
Sometimes the obvious isn't always that simple when it comes to these critters. Few years back I had some babies (hatched here). They were terrified of cords that were black. It was weird but maybe they look like snakes or other predators (not sure what is in Yemen). This might be a "natural instinct" for survival---There was defiantly something going on. This never happened to others since then or any other Veileds I have owned. The cord was for those cheap waterfalls (before I knew better) and it could have been emitting a vibration/electronic pulse of some kind too. Never put lots of thought to it at that time, but did remove the waterfall for many reasons. :) (y)

Off topic but...Do you know that female veileds can produce eggs without having mated once sexually mature and that to prevent them from producing huge clutches and dying eggbound, you need to be careful of their diet, temperatures, etc?
Yeah I know. I’ve had a laying bin in there since I got her.

I agree with leaving it there. But can you take a picture of the entire cage including the lighting on top? I want to see what she is working with.
I’ll have to when I get home from work. It’s a reptisun t5 ho 5.0 linear though.

This is her setup.
5B7B8917-5716-460F-AEFF-EB440EAC6083.jpeg

Attachments

• 3BA5AAB9-17D6-4EDD-BA41-479F5BF7EEC2.jpeg
    3BA5AAB9-17D6-4EDD-BA41-479F5BF7EEC2.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 767DEE83-EF23-47BC-A3F0-B17F629F6847.jpeg
    767DEE83-EF23-47BC-A3F0-B17F629F6847.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 92
  • D5C7FC73-FA4C-41A6-9DF6-32FC603AFF00.jpeg
    D5C7FC73-FA4C-41A6-9DF6-32FC603AFF00.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 92
Overall it looks pretty good. I am betting she is reacting to the plant unless there is something new in the room she sees.

What are her temps at basking? Seems like she is really close to the top. Are you using a T5HO fixture and what bulb strength?
Her basking spot is at 89 degrees. It’s a t5ho 5.0.

Her basking spot is at 89 degrees. It’s a t5ho 5.0.
Ok so you want to make a few adjustments here. She should be no hotter then 80 at basking. Basking temps and food intake directly impact their clutch size. So we reduce these so that they produce smaller easier clutches to lay.

And with that T5HO fixture and the 5.0 bulb you want a measured 8-9 inches to the closest branch to get the right UVI level. Right now it is extremely close to her and the levels she is being exposed to can actually cause issues. You can lift the fixture up off the cage 4 inches but that may be hard to do with how long it is.

Ok so you want to make a few adjustments here. She should be no hotter then 80 at basking. Basking temps and food intake directly impact their clutch size. So we reduce these so that they produce smaller easier clutches to lay.

And with that T5HO fixture and the 5.0 bulb you want a measured 8-9 inches to the closest branch to get the right UVI level. Right now it is extremely close to her and the levels she is being exposed to can actually cause issues. You can lift the fixture up off the cage 4 inches but that may be hard to do with how long it is.
Alright I’ll lift her basking bulb up more tomorrow. When I ordered the fixture they sent a 48” instead of a 24” and wouldn’t let me send it back and exchange because of covid soooo I’ve had the super long one. I hate how long it is but I’ll try to figure out how to lift it up. Thanks for all the advice.

Alright I’ll lift her basking bulb up more tomorrow. When I ordered the fixture they sent a 48” instead of a 24” and wouldn’t let me send it back and exchange because of covid soooo I’ve had the super long one. I hate how long it is but I’ll try to figure out how to lift it up. Thanks for all the advice.
So do not pull the plant out at all. Let her adjust. Might take a week or two though. This is a great link to learn accurate info at. And if you have any questions let us know. :) https://chameleonacademy.com/

Thanks again! You’ve been a great help! I won’t let her push me around and remove then plant XD
Your welcome! Yeah you gotta show them who is boss from the jump or they run the house... Wait nope mine still runs the house. I am just his servant. lol

Back
Top Bottom