New Panther. Need help with tail :(

ThePantherBaron

Just picked up a new 6 to 8 week old blue bar ambilobe from Repticon. When i left the show and put him in his cage I noticed his tail was like this. Is that rot and cut off circulation from a bad shed. Thanks for the input

Last edited:
Get some neosporin and apply to the tail tip with a q-tip. Do this once every other day until you see the tip looking better. I suspect a bacterial infection. I have had this happen and if it goes untreated it will become necrotic and will advance up the tail.

Thank you for the bump Olivia. I've been putting on an anti septic/anti bacterial gel on him twice a day for 3 days now. He just went through a complete shed. I talked with the breeder and he doesn't use heat lamps on the babies so there's no way that it's a burn. Some pictures look worse then others. If you look at his tail in the light the tip is clear and crooked. I just can't figure out if it's an infection or shed on his tail that he can't get off. I've tried soaking it in warm water for 2 minute increments but I don't think it really did anything other then stress him out.

Thanks

It's possible that it's not shed related, but was originally caused by something like a bite from a sibling. I have a panther who broke the very end of his tail during a move and it was fine, until he must have re-injured it somehow 2 weeks later and then it did begin to get necrotic and spread upwards.

I would keep an eye on the edge of the blackness. Perhaps even mark it with a sharpie line, because if it's spreading you will need to see a vet. I would even go now, things like this always make me nervous, personally. Mine ended up needing half his tail amputated, and is doing phenomenal 2 years later.

I would keep an eye on the edge of the blackness. Perhaps even mark it with a sharpie line, because if it's spreading you will need to see a vet. I would even go now, things like this always make me nervous, personally. Mine ended up needing half his tail amputated, and is doing phenomenal 2 years later.

Spot on...

I would just monitor his tail use and his attitude. Try rubbing the antibacterial on with a qtip, not to hard but rough enough to try and help with the blood circulation(It could just be bruising) do you see any type of healed abrasions? Or irregularities?

No nothing irregular. He is definitely shy compared to my Veiled's. It's been hard to gauge how many crickets he gets a day because he doesn't like feeding from a cup. I would say he is averaging 6 to 10 crickets a day. I just hope it heals correctly and he doesn't get hurt. I'm still on the search for exotic vet but I'm having a hard time finding one.

Thanks.

Chameleon Info:Your Chameleon*- The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?Handling*- How often do you handle your chameleon?Feeding*- What are you feeding your cham? Small crickets dusted with calcium. Twice a month they are dusted calcium with d3 and a multivitamin.
What amount?I offer up to 15 or more crickets a day. He is a real finicky eater. Averaging about 6 to 10 a day.
What is the schedule? 12 hours on/12 hours off
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flukers
Supplements*-calcium, calcium with d3 and a multivitamin
What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo Med calcium(everyday), herptavite calcium with d3(twice a month , and a multivitamin(once a month)
Watering*-4 times a day(every 3 hours)
What kind of watering technique do you use? Monsoon 400
How often and how long to you mist? 4 times a day for 70 seconds
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
Fecal Description*- Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Healthy and black. No white.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History*- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. None
Cage Info: Reptibreeze small
Cage Type*- Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) screen
What are the dimensions? 16x16x20
Lighting*- Zoo Med Ho 5.0 Uvb, and a zoo Med blue bulb 60 watts
What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 on /12 off
Temperature*- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Cage floor 72 all the way up to the basking site which is 92f. I used dowels and have them positioned 4 to 5 inches from either heat lamp or uvb
Lowest overnight temp? 65f
How do you measure these temps? Zoo Med point and click
Humidity*- What are your humidity levels?38 percent between misgivings. During misting as high as 80 percent
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Monsoon 400
What do you use to measure humidity? Led sponsors placed at the middle of the cagePlants*- Are you using live plants? Yes, and golden pothos
Placement*- Where ottoman of the cage
Where is your cage located? In my office. Very little foot traffic
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It's on a table. Top of cage is just below my eye level
Location*- Where are you geographically located? Marietta Ga
Current Problem*- The current problem you are concerned about. His tail tip. More pics to come tomorrow.

Measure it and keep an eye on it if it continue s you might have to amputate it.neosporin is good

i see you use flukers, there have been many comments on how bad it is, i would personally suggest rephasy super load along with leafy greens
as for lighting, the blue bulb isnt necessary any house bulb will work for basking, just make sure its not to bright and not to hot. they generally do not care for night lights and need a drop in temp other than that you seem to be on a good tract.
dont ever feel shy about asking questions either, everyones hear to help!

The blue bulb is strictly for heat. It's a day bulb. I'll definitely do some more research on better gut-loading methods.

Thanks

The blue bulb is strictly for heat. It's a day bulb. I'll definitely do some more research on better gut-loading methods.

Thanks

sorry i worded that oddly, i know its a day bulb i was just getting at the point that its more so a waste of money because you can use a basic house bulb.

Back
Top Bottom