New owner questions

Out of curiosity I see your other post on here and you are looking to buy an enclosure for your new chameleon you just got? What is he in now? You say you did weeks and weeks of research yet bought a animal without an enclosure? Just trying to grasp things better... No offense!!!
This is my first post on here, so I'm not sure what other post you meaning?

I bought my cage before I got him. Its not letting me upload a picture for some reason but he is in the reptiair mesh cage, medium size.
We will be buying a larger cage in a few weeks but we were advised by the reptile shop that this is ideal to start with with a juvenile.

I have arcadia mini linear t5 tube 7% uvb light and the 100w basking as you know.

He has vine and loads of sticks in various directions. We have a devils ivy and a parlour palm at the moment they're tiny, so I am looking at getting a ficus or money tree maybe to fill it out a bit more.

I have no substrate as I was advised its healthier as it won't hold water and get moldy etc. At the moment we have the cage on a stand, with a gravel box underneath where the water drains and I am cleaning this and the cage daily.

Hopefully that explains a bit better. I have just turned his light on this am and set to 26celcius. I have ordered a different bulb for him as advised.

for some reason i was mistaken there was a duplicate titled post in enclosures i confused you with appologies!
No worries I was a bit confused myself then haha.

Sorry for the question but is my uv light ok I didn't mention which uv light I had in my original post. Its the arcadia t5 linear mini with reflector 7%. Thanks i appreciate the help on here!

sorry let me elaborate as well. The uv should span the whole enclosure width. This helps ensure the chameleon will always be soaking up uvb and not just when under that section on enclosure. It will also provide a larger uv gradient. This will result in a healthier brighter chameleon!

sorry let me elaborate as well. The uv should span the whole enclosure width. This helps ensure the chameleon will always be soaking up uvb and not just when under that section on enclosure. It will also provide a larger uv gradient. This will result in a healthier brighter chameleon!
Amazing thanks I've ordered a new uv light the bigger one u suggested . We have always had bearded dragons and thought we would have a change since our last bearded passed away around a year ago. My son loves reptiles and chose a chameleon which is why we researched for weeks leading up to buying him as its a change for us.

Still reading up everyday about what he needs etc and its so confusing and conflicting everywhere you look , so I really appreciate your advice.

I've managed to lower his humidity by opening my windows today and its slowly dropping so hopefully does the trick for now!

What bulb did you get the 6% or 12% Depending on which will require different distances to basking braches :) with a 6% 6-7 inches to basking branch and 12% 12 inches to branch. These measurements are going through the screen with light placed above cage.

Make sure you get away from the 7% bulb. This is actually not the right bulb for chams in the way it is made. The UVA amount of output differs greatly.

And the 6% bulb would actually need to be 8-9 inches to the branch for the correct UVI level.

However if baby is screen climbing then we have to change up placement of the fixture.

So just give details on the actual cage and what you ordered and I can provide more info there.

I would also recommend doing a full husbandry review. Let me know if you are interested and I will post the form for you to fill out.

Make sure you get away from the 7% bulb. This is actually not the right bulb for chams in the way it is made. The UVA amount of output differs greatly.

And the 6% bulb would actually need to be 8-9 inches to the branch for the correct UVI level.

However if baby is screen climbing then we have to change up placement of the fixture.

So just give details on the actual cage and what you ordered and I can provide more info there.

I would also recommend doing a full husbandry review. Let me know if you are interested and I will post the form for you to fill out.
Hi thanks. Yes I've ordered the arcadia pro T5 6%. I've just installed it now. Am I ok to put it on top of the mesh cage directly? He doesn't tend to screen climb at the top from what I've noticed yet.

Yes you can post the form I can fill it out thankyou!

What bulb did you get the 6% or 12% Depending on which will require different distances to basking braches :) with a 6% 6-7 inches to basking branch and 12% 12 inches to branch. These measurements are going through the screen with light placed above cage.
I got the 6%.

Hi thanks. Yes I've ordered the arcadia pro T5 6%. I've just installed it now. Am I ok to put it on top of the mesh cage directly? He doesn't tend to screen climb at the top from what I've noticed yet.

Yes you can post the form I can fill it out thankyou!
Ok so honestly I would raise the fixture just because over exposure of UVI levels that exceed the max can be dangerous for them. Heat lamp should be lifted up off the top as well due to thermal burn risk.

So with this fixture. What you would do while baby is little. Raise the fixture 4 inches off the top. Then have the closest branch below 4-5 inches from the screen. So that the total distance from the bottom of the fixture to the branch is 8-9 inches. This will put baby in the max levels at the screen if climbing it and then in the correct 3 UVI level at the branch.

When baby gets to the point of not screen climbing then you can take the UVB fixture down on the cage top and the branch below would be 8-9 inches away.

Here is the help form... You will copy and paste this into your reply and then fill it out with detail. Add pics of the entire cage and of baby as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom