New Owner!!! Please Help!!!

exoticham

Hi my name is Justin and I live in Gainesville, Georgia. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Chameleon Info:

I have a 3 - 4 month old male Veiled Chameleon named Ed that I had purchased from FLchams. He has been in my care for about a week. I handle him at least once a day. He gets fed crickets that are gut loaded. I always make sure there are at least five crickets in the cage at all times. I have not currently bought any supplements for it, that is the next thing on my list. He has a drip system for his cage that drips every second or two. I mist him three to four times a day for minutes at a time, but waiting for his cage to dry first. I see him drinking every now and then. His feces is generally a dark brown with a little bit of white in it, I am not sure if he has been tested for parasites or not.

Cage Info:

Ed has a screen cage that is 12.5” x 12.5” x 18”. I am using 60w red light for heat that I keep on 24/7, I also have this light a few inches from the top of the cage to prevent burns. I am using a Repti Glo UVB 5.0 bulb for his daylight. Which I keep on from noon to midnight. I am not sure on the actual temperatures of his cage but I plan on getting a thermometer for the top and bottom of his cage along with a hygrometer. I am currently not using any live plants at the moment that is also on my list of things to get (safe ones of course). His cage has moss on the bottom with a Tupperware container to collect the dripping water. In the center of the cage is a branch with fake leaves wrapped around it. It also has a vine circling the cage. The cage is in a low traffic area not near any fans or vents. The top of my cage is above my eye level and I am 6’1”.

Current Problem:

He seems to at times when he is basking leave one eye shut and look around with the other. Is this normal? He also tends to rub his head against his vine or branch, normal behavior?

Are both eyes open most of the time?
The red lamp should go. He should have a white basking light (regular incandescent household bulb is fine) 25 watts ... he is still young and you don't want to overheat, especially since you are not monitoring temps with a thermometer at this point. The basking light and UVB light should only be on in the daytime, totally dark with a decent drop in temp at night is recommended.
He is probably getting ready to shed (hence the rubbing) this will happen every 3 to 4 weeks at this age.
You need to be dusting 4 to 5 times a week with calcium WITHOUT D3
Calcium with D3 can be used occasionally and a multivitamin like herptivite can be used a couple of times a month, but the calcium without D3 is not optional and needs to be added asap.

-Brad

It sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job taking care of your chameleon. I wish I had been as good as you at the outset.

It seems to be normal for them to close one eye when basking.

They do rub on stuff right before they are getting ready for a shed.

He's a baby so you can (per other threads here) expect shedding to happen every month or so until he's fully grown. Per the other threads, babies tend to shed all at once...so, one day he'll probably do a full shed in the course of a few hours (adults shed sort of like humans...here and there as needed over time).

I would love to see pictures of your baby if you can post them.

Both eyes are open most of the time. The red lamp will go. Is the Repti Glo 5.0 bulb still ok? I will pick up some calcium tomorrow.

Thanks for the great advice! Keep it coming!

P.S.
I will get pictures as soon as I get a new camera.

I have a breeding pair of veileds that I purchased from FLCHAMS when they were just babies. If you got yours:) from FLCHAMS as well then I'm sure you have a wonderful chameleon. Your chameleon definately needs a basking light that stimulates natural sun though.

I am using the cfl at the moment. I will make plans to get the Reptisun 5.0 soon. Thank you all for your help!

Ok... I hope that is what is causing it. I don't want my little Ed to be mistreated in any way, I will fix this problem ASAP!!!

I personaly would cut back on the crickets. You say 5 at all times? I put 7 in my chamelons cup in the am what is not eaten by night I take out. Crickets can bite a chameleon when it is sleeping Some chameleons don't know when to stop. Eating before lights out dont give time to bask for digestion. I would get a digital thermomiter that also tells humidity dont get a cheap one with the hand only a digital. What do you have for live plants? You should save up for a bigger cage one will be needed in about 7 months. Supplements are cheap I would get them first thing today when the pet store opends. You have any pics of cage or chameleon? I got mine from FLchams great people my baby came from Newton sir.

I had no idea about feeding... thanks for the heads up! No live plants at the moment, still researching at the moment. Pics will hopefully be up soon.

- Justin

Hi my name is Justin and I live in Gainesville, Georgia. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Chameleon Info:

I have a 3 - 4 month old male Veiled Chameleon named Ed that I had purchased from FLchams. He has been in my care for about a week. I handle him at least once a day. He gets fed crickets that are gut loaded. I always make sure there are at least five crickets in the cage at all times. I have not currently bought any supplements for it, that is the next thing on my list. He has a drip system for his cage that drips every second or two. I mist him three to four times a day for minutes at a time, but waiting for his cage to dry first. I see him drinking every now and then. His feces is generally a dark brown with a little bit of white in it, I am not sure if he has been tested for parasites or not.

Cage Info:

Ed has a screen cage that is 12.5” x 12.5” x 18”. I am using 60w red light for heat that I keep on 24/7, I also have this light a few inches from the top of the cage to prevent burns. I am using a Repti Glo UVB 5.0 bulb for his daylight. Which I keep on from noon to midnight. I am not sure on the actual temperatures of his cage but I plan on getting a thermometer for the top and bottom of his cage along with a hygrometer. I am currently not using any live plants at the moment that is also on my list of things to get (safe ones of course). His cage has moss on the bottom with a Tupperware container to collect the dripping water. In the center of the cage is a branch with fake leaves wrapped around it. It also has a vine circling the cage. The cage is in a low traffic area not near any fans or vents. The top of my cage is above my eye level and I am 6’1”.

Current Problem:

He seems to at times when he is basking leave one eye shut and look around with the other. Is this normal? He also tends to rub his head against his vine or branch, normal behavior?

Most everything has been covered above, so I will just reiterate.
Please quit handling everyday. You need to give your chameleon a few weeks to acclimate and adjust to his new home. You are adding further stress to a stressful situation. Do not leave crickets in his cage. This is the most crucial time for supplementing-research and buy them today. Unless your house is dropping below 55-60 degrees, you do not need night heat, and you never want night light. Get rid of the CFL, get a 40-60 watt lightbulb that will produce a basking spot of 85 degrees. GET A THERMOMETER. TEMPS ARE CRUCIAL TO COLDBLOODED ANIMALS. And please get a digital thermometer and not a crappy analog. WHAT IS NOON TO MIDNIGHT? You are throwing him off a normal daylight schedule. SO unless your house is totally dark until noon-I would get a timer and have lights on something like 7-7. Otherwise your cham is awake from daylight to midnight. They do need 10-12 hours of sleep. Please get a live plant and get rid of the moss substrate.
All of that being said-welcome to the forum. It is EXCELLENT that you want to get things right and provide a good life for your cham. I certainly wish I had this resource when I first got a chameleon that did not live very long with incorrect care thanks to a Petstore.

It sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job taking care of your chameleon. I wish I had been as good as you at the outset.

It seems to be normal for them to close one eye when basking.

I admit he is trying to take wonderful care-and he is willing to make the changes as needed-but to say this with all of the things that need changing could steer a new keeper in the wrong direction.
It is not normal for a baby cham to close one eye when basking-and as stated above the CFL could be contributing.

Justin,

Welcome to the Forum!

Turn the coil bulb off, it can do more harm than no UVB.:eek:

Removing the moss helps reduce the chance of the cham ingesting it, and the (any) substrata will grow bacteria, the major cause of eye infections, and upper respiratory infections (URI).

If the eye closure doesn't stop, you can rinse the eye to see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't resolve the closed eye, don't ignore it, it will stop the cham from eating.

Nick

Nick

It sounds like you may be handeling him a little too much. but I know that some people have reasons for it.

Thanks everybody, for all of your advice... all of the changes are being made as we speak. I will try to get pics up soon!

- Justin

Thanks again for making me feel welcome on this forum. This is a great way to learn about the needs of your Cham! I have learned so much in the short time I have been with Ed. I have so much more to learn, and I can't wait! :D

- Justin

Justin,
you need to go to ga outdoor power equipment in oakwood to get your plants. They have ficus on sale for $13 and they ordered me a pothos and the supplier sent them 3, so im sure they still have one, and they are good sized ones too. Just make sure you wash them with soapy water and rinse very well, repot them with all organic soil (no fertilizers) the cover the soil so your cham can't eat. I cut out screen and covered mine, others use stuff like river rock.

Justin,
you need to go to ga outdoor power equipment in oakwood to get your plants. They have ficus on sale for $13 and they ordered me a pothos and the supplier sent them 3, so im sure they still have one, and they are good sized ones too. Just make sure you wash them with soapy water and rinse very well, repot them with all organic soil (no fertilizers) the cover the soil so your cham can't eat. I cut out screen and covered mine, others use stuff like river rock.

Others don't cover the soil at all .... (me);)

-Brad

Thanks again for making me feel welcome on this forum. This is a great way to learn about the needs of your Cham! I have learned so much in the short time I have been with Ed. I have so much more to learn, and I can't wait! :D

- Justin

Love your avatar! He's got a good home with you.

Back
Top Bottom