New owner of (possibly) pregnant Fischer's Chameleon

I just have to chime in after seeing your pictures to say that your enclosure is
-too small
-incorrect for the species (glass = bad generally)
-male/female should be separated (even if they are, it is still too small)
-more twigs/sticks needed
-more height needed

just some advice :) I wouldn't disturb her at this point while she is laying, but I would promptly setup a proper enclosure so that you can move her / the male after they are done (into 2 separate ideally)

(glass = bad generally)
)

I do NOT agree with this statement and I believe that before people start to give advise that they should do their research. Glass terrariums are a GREAT asset to some keepers and could be every keepers best asset if used correctly depending on the type of cham. In this case it is a Kinyongia which do great in glass enclosures, it just has to be the right type of glass enclosure. It helps buffer from the outside temp, holds humidity better and can create an overall better controlled enviorment. I have kept many of my species in all glass terrariums w/ the exception of a few and have had great results, like many other keepers. If you are stating that this is "your" personal opinion please state that in your post, instead of giving an overall generalization of it. Sorry for the rant./

Hey! Stop peeking!

Ha ha! You're right, I should stop. I couldn't help it- new owner and really wasn't expecting this!

So now she's out and about in the cage and i'm assuming she drank some water this morning. She doesn't have an appetite yet, but I'll try again this afternoon.

As for the eggs- leave 'em be or dig 'em up? :confused:

I do NOT agree with this statement and I believe that before people start to give advise that they should do their research. Glass terrariums are a GREAT asset to some keepers and could be every keepers best asset if used correctly depending on the type of cham. In this case it is a Kinyongia which do great in glass enclosures, it just has to be the right type of glass enclosure. It helps buffer from the outside temp, holds humidity better and can create an overall better controlled enviorment. I have kept many of my species in all glass terrariums w/ the exception of a few and have had great results, like many other keepers. If you are stating that this is "your" personal opinion please state that in your post, instead of giving an overall generalization of it. Sorry for the rant./

Thank you very much for that info!

I was wondering, 'cause I was at a reptile show yesterday, that people made and attached an extended wire cage cover to add height to the cage. I'm going to look this up. Otherwise, I might just have to build a wire cage by myself.

Hey, the embryo sets after a while and if rotated it can die AND I'm assuming you don't have any vermiculite so here is a suggestion -- Chances are that the eggs are already doomed but just wing it -- You need to remove the whole clump of soil and the eggs all in one "scoop" and incubate them just as they are. The "nest" must not crumble or fall apart. The soil she laid in is way too wet so get a big tupperware, fill it with dry vermiculite or even just dirt. Dig out the center and place the whole scoop in the middle. The dry soil will eventually even out the total moisture and you can follow normal incubation instructions found elsewhere. For now, 65 - 75 F will be fine.

If anyone has experience that the eggs have longer before setting please chime in.

Hey, the embryo sets after a while and if rotated it can die AND I'm assuming you don't have any vermiculite so here is a suggestion -- Chances are that the eggs are already doomed but just wing it -- You need to remove the whole clump of soil and the eggs all in one "scoop" and incubate them just as they are. The "nest" must not crumble or fall apart. The soil she laid in is way too wet so get a big tupperware, fill it with dry vermiculite or even just dirt. Dig out the center and place the whole scoop in the middle. The dry soil will eventually even out the total moisture and you can follow normal incubation instructions found elsewhere. For now, 65 - 75 F will be fine.

If anyone has experience that the eggs have longer before setting please chime in.

Thanks so much! This is quite a good experience and a great lesson learned!
Wish me luck transferring the eggs!

I have never removed the whole clump of eggs in one scoop. Chances are that if you try to hatch them like that you won't be able to keep the "clump" evenly moist enough.

I scrape away layers of the substrate with a small plastic spoon until I find the eggs and then try to remove them one at a time without rotating them as they are moved.

I take a shoe-box sized tupperware type container with a lid and punch one or two tiny tiny holes in the lid. I fill it about half full of moistened coarse vermiculite. To test the vermiculite's moisture level, take a fistful of it and squeeze it...there should only be one or two drops of water come out of it.

I lay the eggs in rows in dents that I have made with my thumb on top of slightly moistened vermiculite. I place the container in a dark place where the temperature is appropriate for hatching the eggs. I can't give you an exact temp. for fischer's eggs....but I would not go any higher than the mid 70's for sure.

Eggs were almost 24 hours old when I advised, thinking the removing depositing would not be good. Not really sure how long you have to move them because I've always been right on time.

I have never removed the whole clump of eggs in one scoop. Chances are that if you try to hatch them like that you won't be able to keep the "clump" evenly moist enough.

I scrape away layers of the substrate with a small plastic spoon until I find the eggs and then try to remove them one at a time without rotating them as they are moved.

I take a shoe-box sized tupperware type container with a lid and punch one or two tiny tiny holes in the lid. I fill it about half full of moistened coarse vermiculite. To test the vermiculite's moisture level, take a fistful of it and squeeze it...there should only be one or two drops of water come out of it.

I lay the eggs in rows in dents that I have made with my thumb on top of slightly moistened vermiculite. I place the container in a dark place where the temperature is appropriate for hatching the eggs. I can't give you an exact temp. for fischer's eggs....but I would not go any higher than the mid 70's for sure.

This is actually what I did, because there was no way I could remove it as an entire clump. Was very careful not to turn the eggs, but well see. They all seemed to be intact and I already had the vermiculite on hand before I did the transfer. Eggs are now incubating.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Eggs were almost 24 hours old when I advised, thinking the removing depositing would not be good. Not really sure how long you have to move them because I've always been right on time.

Oh no. I moved them once you've advised. So the eggs are no good anymore?

I don't think you should assume the eggs are no good just yet. Keep them incubating, and if eventually they become moldy, you can then assume they are no good.

You moved them the way I suggested...so...just keep incubating them....you will find out in a couple of weeks if they are good or not.

I don't think you should assume the eggs are no good just yet. Keep them incubating, and if eventually they become moldy, you can then assume they are no good.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. 'Cause they seem just fine. I'll wait until they show signs of decay or dry up. I was reading about that on some of the threads on here.

I feel emotional drained after reading this thread. Went from doom to hopeful to surprised to worried to happy. What a thread!

I feel emotional drained after reading this thread. Went from doom to hopeful to surprised to worried to happy. What a thread!

I know what you mean! I'm so thankful for everyone's advice on this thread! My eggs are still well after 1 week - no signs of decay or anything, so I'm guessing it'll be ok for now.

Thanks, thanks!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom