New owner here… help.

What age is my veiled chameleon? Do I have a male or female?
IMG_6361.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6358.jpeg
    IMG_6358.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 23
Welcome!!! You have a cute little girl! So you will want to make sure you have a lay bin set up in her enclosure. Veileds will lay eggs even if they are not fertilized.

Definitely not full grown yet, but I’m not positive on the age. May I ask what lighting you are using for your enclosure?

Welcome!!! You have a cute little girl! So you will want to make sure you have a lay bin set up in her enclosure. Veileds will lay eggs even if they are not fertilized.

Definitely not full grown yet, but I’m not positive on the age. May I ask what lighting you are using for your enclosure?
It the light kit that came with the enclosure.. zoo med tropical lighting combo with 60w daylight blue rep. Bulb.

It the light kit that came with the enclosure.. zoo med tropical lighting combo with 60w daylight blue rep. Bulb.
Ok. The reason I ask is because unfortunately, these bulbs are not really that good for chameleons. I say this from experience. I got my little guy from his previous family. He was kept with the same kit and the same bulbs. This eventually led him to get a pretty nasty disease called MBD. Thankfully, several wonderful keepers here helped me get it sorted out and my little man is now back in good health with the only permanent damage being a slightly deformed casque.

Our little friends need a long linear UVB bulb in order to provide the correct amount of UVB for them. The compact ones do not penetrate far enough into the enclosure. Without this, their body begins to pull calcium from their bones and they become weak, deformed and eventually fracture. They also need a regular incandescent bulb for heat. The colored ones can damage their sensitive eyes.

The kit is something that really should not be on the market because it does not provide adequate supplies for chams. Many keepers here have purchased the exact same one as you in the beginning.

If you are willing, I would be more than happy to go over a husbandry review with you. I can tag in a couple keepers that are familiar with females as well. I have a male and their care varies a bit. Let me know what you think and I’ll post the form for you to fill out ☺️

You have such a cutie there and I hope you two stick around!

Ok. The reason I ask is because unfortunately, these bulbs are not really that good for chameleons. I say this from experience. I got my little guy from his previous family. He was kept with the same kit and the same bulbs. This eventually led him to get a pretty nasty disease called MBD. Thankfully, several wonderful keepers here helped me get it sorted out and my little man is now back in good health with the only permanent damage being a slightly deformed casque.

Our little friends need a long linear UVB bulb in order to provide the correct amount of UVB for them. The compact ones do not penetrate far enough into the enclosure. Without this, their body begins to pull calcium from their bones and they become weak, deformed and eventually fracture. They also need a regular incandescent bulb for heat. The colored ones can damage their sensitive eyes.

The kit is something that really should not be on the market because it does not provide adequate supplies for chams. Many keepers here have purchased the exact same one as you in the beginning.

If you are willing, I would be more than happy to go over a husbandry review with you. I can tag in a couple keepers that are familiar with females as well. I have a male and their care varies a bit. Let me know what you think and I’ll post the form for you to fill out ☺️

You have such a cutie there and I hope you two stick around!
yes that would be great.

Awesome! So you probably don’t have to scrap everything you have. Let’s just start with this. Copy and paste the below form and just fill in as much as you can and we will go from there. I’ll tag a couple more experienced keepers as I’m still relatively new. They can also help with the fact that you have a little lady. @MissSkittles @Beman would you guys mind giving a hand here?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Would this bulb be better?
View attachment 343926
so you will need the long skinny bulbs. Unfortunately they are a bit more expensive. Right now Amazon has one on sale I’ll attach a picture. You need what is called a T5 HO 5.0 bulb or you can go with the Arcadia brand 6%(which is the better of the two but more expensive). The one I’m attaching is the T5 5.0. It will need to be replaced every six months even if it is not burned out because the UVB output goes down.

You are going to have to get a new fixture because this bulb will not fit in the one you currently have. You can however use the current fixture for your heat source. A regular incandescent house light bulb works well. No need for the expensive reptile branded ones. Just make sure it isn’t LED as those do not put off heat.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.png
    IMG_0342.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 30
As for your other supplies: fake plants are not recommended for them because veileds especially tend to munch on plants and this can cause impaction. I’ll attach a list of safe live plants you can use. This was hard for me when I first started because I don’t have a green thumb. Your fake plants can be attached on the outside for extra cover. That’s what I did since my plants inside haven’t filled out completely yet.

You can also use branches you find outside for your girl to climb around on. My enclosure has a few fake ones, but mostly just branches from my back yard. Just make sure they do not come from a tree with sap. Give them a little scrub with water and some dawn dish soap and let dry and they are good to go!

Eventually you will need an enclosure that is atleast 2x2x4. For now, I would focus on the lighting and then plants as these can pose health risks to your little one.

I will recommend binge watching Neptune the chameleon on YouTube and reading up on chameleonacademy.com both have a wealth of info that would help greatly

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    766.5 KB · Views: 33
I’m basically limi to what’s available a Petco… my enclosure is currently 12x12x18
That is going to be way too small for an adult chameleon and is even quite small for a young one. The minimum standard is a2x2x4’ enclosure. Just about all of what you need isn’t available in store at any Petco that I’ve ever been in. Are you able to buy on line at least from Petco?

Awesome! So you probably don’t have to scrap everything you have. Let’s just start with this. Copy and paste the below form and just fill in as much as you can and we will go from there. I’ll tag a couple more experienced keepers as I’m still relatively new. They can also help with the fact that you have a little lady. @MissSkittles @Beman would you guys mind giving a hand here?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
@MissSkittles

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, female age unknown purchase sept. 23 less then 48 hours.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? whenever
  • Feeding - Dusted crickets 2-4, What is the schedule? 2 daily How are you gut-loading your feeders?working on that
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium w/o d3 in am feeding
  • Watering - Misting
  • Fecal Description - n/A have not seen droppings
  • History - purchase from petco on sept 23

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - glass with screen top and vent under door
  • Lighting - currently what came with kit
  • Temperature - varies enclosure is in house away from air vents
  • Humidity - unknown… misting often
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Plastic with moss
  • Placement - currently on a milk crate in corner of living room
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? eastern

Attachments