New owner having some problems, Please Help

Yoshi Jones

Hello my name is Sanai and i am a new chameleon owner as of september(it is a female veiled. her name is yoshi, and she is about 4 months old). This is my first reptile and I have a feeling that something is wrong. I am 13 and I am between homes. When I am with my father my mother takes care of her. while I was away with my father this week my mother was taking care of her and I just got back and I was told she had been looking like this for a few days.
047035A5-9ADF-43A8-8769-707AB3454CDC.jpeg
this is her right now
BB70A1C8-AD95-4237-952A-FF88E6253857.jpeg
and this is her regularly. So far I have the repti breez 16x16x30 cage and I have a slimline T8 tropical fixture. I feed her 10 crickets everyday and gut load them carrots. I also have a golden pothos she can snack on.
828BFDED-1206-4EE1-8D53-4B579E500649.jpeg
this is her cage. please let me know if I need to make any changes. I am open to anything.

Hello my name is Sanai and i am a new chameleon owner as of september(it is a female veiled. her name is yoshi, and she is about 4 months old). This is my first reptile and I have a feeling that something is wrong. I am 13 and I am between homes. When I am with my father my mother takes care of her. while I was away with my father this week my mother was taking care of her and I just got back and I was told she had been looking like this for a few days.View attachment 285661this is her right nowView attachment 285662and this is her regularly. So far I have the repti breez 16x16x30 cage and I have a slimline T8 tropical fixture. I feed her 10 crickets everyday and gut load them carrots. I also have a golden pothos she can snack on.View attachment 285663this is her cage. please let me know if I need to make any changes. I am open to anything.
she also just finished shedding (forgot to add that)

First, let me say welcome and congrats on your new friend! Going by the picture she looks perfectly happy! Her color is good and there are no pieces of skin still stuck to her after her shed. It is always nice to see live plants as opposed to fake plants. My only comment would be adding some more places to hide for your little girl. Chameleons are good at worrying us, but it doesn't look like you have much to be concerned about. How often do you mist and how long do you let the dripper drip?

First, let me say welcome and congrats on your new friend! Going by the picture she looks perfectly happy! Her color is good and there are no pieces of skin still stuck to her after her shed. It is always nice to see live plants as opposed to fake plants. My only comment would be adding some more places to hide for your little girl. Chameleons are good at worrying us, but it doesn't look like you have much to be concerned about. How often do you mist and how long do you let the dripper drip?
Thankyou! I mist about every other hour and I leave the dripper on all day ( 2 seconds per drop)

Thankyou! I mist about every other hour and I leave the dripper on all day ( 2 seconds per drop)
I would consider cutting back on the misting to maybe every four hours and have the dripper on for a few hours a day. You just want to avoid too much water build-up that could cause mold growth or harvest bacteria. Your enclosure looks fairly easy to clean so it's not too much of a problem but just something to keep in mind.

Hi and welcome! :) Adorable little cham! 🥰 First question I have to ask is are you sure that she’s a girl? Easy way to tell is boys will have tarsal spurs, which are little nubs sticking out on the backs of their back feet. If she is indeed a she, it’s more important than ever that your care is spot on. Not sure if you’re aware that she will lay eggs whether mated or not. There’s a bit of time to learn about that though. Right now, just based on your info and looking at your enclosure, you do need to make some improvements. Although I’d suggest getting a T5 fixture with a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb, the T8 can work, but you’ll need to have a 10.0 or a 12% uvb bulb in it. As she becomes an adult she’ll be needing a larger enclosure.The minimum size for an adult is 2x2x4’ or equivalent. I like the diy enclosures for a budget-friendly choice. https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage
For now you’ll want to toss out the reptile carpet. Besides them becoming a bacterial breeding ground, bare floor is so much easier to keep clean. You also need to add more branches and vines. You can use branches from outside as long as they aren’t pine or from other trees with sap. Wash with dish soap, rinse well and dry and they’re ready to use. It also helps their feet to have different diameters of branches. Adding more live plants will also make a big positive difference. I hang my fake ones outside the enclosure for added privacy. Here’s the safe plant list. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
Since there’s several other aspects of care, rather than me asking a million questions, if you could fill this out (copy & paste) you can have all of your husbandry reviewed to make sure all is correct. Let’s make sure you and your little sweetie have many happy and healthy years together. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom