New Outdoor Stand

Rush2112

I had a spark of inspiration when I had Mythos outside this morning. Ran to the hardware store and bought PVC pipe and fittings, used the one leftover jungle vine I had and Voila. Crude but still want to add more vine. May lengthen height on T post and hang a couple Pythos from it. Until I figure out protection, only for use while I'm by it.

qe5eteze.jpg

ry3a4eru.jpg

9egesusa.jpg

I think you'll find that he spends a lot of effort trying to get to cover. Most chams don't want to be so exposed to view.

Yep. Just found my extra pack of fake pothos vine and gonna work on getting live plants on there for cover for sure. Just test driving today to see if structure would work like I pictured it would

If you are trying to enclose it, it seems like just some screening cut and wrapped around it while being hot glued at each corner where the screen overlaps the vertical PVC pipes might work. I mean to say running a bead of glue right over the screening from top to bottom at each corner pipe. Then some screen for the top hot glued down to those posts and I think you would be set.

I warmed it up to 86 last Saturday for a crawfish boil we had but its cooled back down to 72 since then. Having unusually late cool fronts this year but that will be long gone soon. I don't get in until its at least 80-82 and a day that's above that ambient.

Free Range with Care

I had a spark of inspiration when I had Mythos outside this morning. Ran to the hardware store and bought PVC pipe and fittings, used the one leftover jungle vine I had and Voila. Crude but still want to add more vine. May lengthen height on T post and hang a couple Pythos from it. Until I figure out protection, only for use while I'm by it.

After reading about free ranging Chameleons, I took my fake tree out which mine had been using inside my house for the past winter and secured it outside so it couldnt fall over and then one at a time for about an hour each, on the first nice warm day we had, I took them to the tree, which they had never attempted to escape from.
Three of my Chameleons did well but sadly my beautiful translucent veiled female, decided to escape in a brief space of 10 minutes from a tree she never attempted to leave in the house. I never found her again and it pains me to think how she must have died
I looked for her for two weeks, until rain and cold weather set in, making it very unlikely she survived.
During the immediate time of her disappearance, I tested her brother and put him in on the ground, where she must have fallen or dropped, to see how fast he'd move and what directions he'd go..he was incredibly fast for what we see of their inside lives. He traveled downhill..I literally had to chase after him..however she simply disappeared even though I had lots of people immediately looking for her.
So after this very painful lesson of losing one I raised from a tiny 3 month old, I will never free range outside again..without secure precautions. They will have the illusion of free ranging but not the danger.
They will either go out in their cages, or I will make screened outside cages for them or perhaps use some sort of netting over the tree and tie it tightly to prevent them from actually being able to disappear However I am least likely to consider this option.
So its a hard lesson to learn, but it only takes a second for them to fall or crawl from their perch.
Free range if you want, but consider the possible dangers and risks and take precautions..so you don't lose your beloved baby.

After reading about free ranging Chameleons, I took my fake tree out which mine had been using inside my house for the past winter and secured it outside so it couldnt fall over and then one at a time for about an hour each, on the first nice warm day we had, I took them to the tree, which they had never attempted to escape from.
Three of my Chameleons did well but sadly my beautiful translucent veiled female, decided to escape in a brief space of 10 minutes from a tree she never attempted to leave in the house. I never found her again and it pains me to think how she must have died
I looked for her for two weeks, until rain and cold weather set in, making it very unlikely she survived.
During the immediate time of her disappearance, I tested her brother and put him in on the ground, where she must have fallen or dropped, to see how fast he'd move and what directions he'd go..he was incredibly fast for what we see of their inside lives. He traveled downhill..I literally had to chase after him..however she simply disappeared even though I had lots of people immediately looking for her.
So after this very painful lesson of losing one I raised from a tiny 3 month old, I will never free range outside again..without secure precautions. They will have the illusion of free ranging but not the danger.
They will either go out in their cages, or I will make screened outside cages for them or perhaps use some sort of netting over the tree and tie it tightly to prevent them from actually being able to disappear However I am least likely to consider this option.
So its a hard lesson to learn, but it only takes a second for them to fall or crawl from their perch.
Free range if you want, but consider the possible dangers and risks and take precautions..so you don't lose your beloved baby.

I'm so sorry you lost one.
I didn't build this with free range in mind. I just built it today and brought my Nosy out to check it out. I never left his side. I will be wrapping it in screen or mesh this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom