new one on me- Jackson eating grass ?

little leaf

Avid Member
I went to check on Oliver out in the big cage- and he was on the ground- so I watched him for a moment - he was chewing - so I thought he must have went down after a bug- as I watched, I could see he had a mouth full of grass - so I thought he accidentally got a mouth full of grass as he went for a bug- as I watched, he was eating the grass on purpose - I watched him chew what he had, and then take another big mouth full - I have seen him on the ground here and there- but I never knew he was eating the grass ! I did not think they ate grass ? I was only able to get one pic/ of him , but you can see the grass in his mouth - when I went in to see what he was doing , he started back to the tree- and I had to run to get my camera - I will try to get a pic of him "grazing" again - but has anyone else had a Jax eat grass ? I have seen Olive on the ground at times also - but can not say she was eating grass as I never caught her with a mouth full of it - lol

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 125
Mine does not eat grass! How well does he drink? Could be eating plants for water, could just be a dork and likes eat grass lol. Usually when they do things out of the ordinary (eating soil, plants etc) when they are not plant eaters, it's something in the diet they are missing or for water.

I can't even get my leopard tortoises to eat grasses most of the time, they are super picky as to what KIND they will eat. Maybe Oliver can show them how :/.

Mine does not eat grass! How well does he drink? Could be eating plants for water, could just be a dork and likes eat grass lol. Usually when they do things out of the ordinary (eating soil, plants etc) when they are not plant eaters, it's something in the diet they are missing or for water.

I can't even get my leopard tortoises to eat grasses most of the time, they are super picky as to what KIND they will eat. Maybe Oliver can show them how :/.

he drinks very well, has a dripper 24/7 - and I also spray a mist from the hose too a few X's a day - his diet is a combo of these food items - he gets : mantis, silks , horns, roaches, super worms ( not many) earwigs, ants,crix, isopods, cicadas , flies , snails, (all well gut loaded -) and what ever wanders in to his cage - cal/ 3 X a week- no D3 all summer , vit 1 X a mo - this is for all the chams ( panthers dusted daily) so I don't know if he could still be missing something in his diet? but that was my first thought - must be he is a dork :p ;)

Yea, sounds like he is just being weird. Maybe he did get a bug at some point and got some grass in the process and liked the taste!

One of my female panthers will eat hibiscus leaves sometimes, but that's about it as far as my chams eating plants.

yeah, its odd - I am going to pull him from the free range cage in the AM - I want to see what his stool looks like after eating grass- to see how much digested, and see if it is any different than before - plus to make sure he goes - I am sure this is not the first time he has done this - just the first time he got busted - LOL - but I want to be sure he is not going to get "colic" or anything like that - also, to see if I can catch Olive doing it too- :rolleyes:

Cheryl you would not know how to act if you had a normal chameleon!! All your chams seem to be nuts, where do they get that from????? just sayin:rolleyes:

Cheryl you would not know how to act if you had a normal chameleon!! All your chams seem to be nuts, where do they get that from????? just sayin:rolleyes:

LOL -I know - it must be something in the water - you should see how my husband acts :eek: :p
I like to call my chams " unique " ;) ( or nuts, strange, crazy.... :p )

LOL -I know - it must be something in the water - you should see how my husband acts :eek: :p
I like to call my chams " unique " ;) ( or nuts, strange, crazy.... :p )

I know how you luv your chams, and spoil them guyz rotten, so I automaticly rule out any possibility he is not getting proper food and water ;)

I let Noogie wander in the grass a lot and he never even pays attention to it, so my vote is, you just have a nutty jax :eek: ;)

Back in the 80's when I saw my first Jackson's in a pet store - I asked how they fed it- (having had an what I think now was an Elliot's in Ethiopian who had a unlimited supply of flies) they said crickets and salad greens- They must have had one or two eat greens - I don't think I'd worry too much about the grass -as long as he's eating and drinking normally otherwise and looking good.
I might be worried on what he might try next
(Disclaimer - I know absolutely nothing and am just a newbie-If someone tells you to worry, worry)

My 2 Jackson's like leafs sometimes, vary rarely but everyonce and a while you will see one with a leaf in their mouth or munching on a big one.

Back in the 80's when I saw my first Jackson's in a pet store - I asked how they fed it- (having had an what I think now was an Elliot's in Ethiopian who had a unlimited supply of flies) they said crickets and salad greens- They must have had one or two eat greens - I don't think I'd worry too much about the grass -as long as he's eating and drinking normally otherwise and looking good.
I might be worried on what he might try next
(Disclaimer - I know absolutely nothing and am just a newbie-If someone tells you to worry, worry)

Welcome newbie, with your humor and disclaimer, I like you already.:):)

Back
Top Bottom