New news.

FAIL

SO!!!! i arrived home expecting to bury my cham and to see my veiled still lying on his side, dead...BUT he still had some juice, so i rushed him to the vet, and he is staying overnight, they said theres a 25% chance he'll make it...it's gonna cost me way more than what i paid for him, but he's my cham, and my first cham, and (the best personality out of the two i own, and out of the gecko and my frogs :p). PLEASE cross your fingers and say your prayers that he ends up alright.

the vet says. (best recommended vet in ky for exotics). the average lifespan of a cham in ky is 1.5 years, mainly because people dont know what they are doing-or because of our climate here. WE HAVE THE WORST WEATHER CHANGES IN THE WORLD-probably-seriously. when it started to become winter-i did notice him not eating as much-but didnt think anything of it. she said that's when he started going downhill-stop eating as much, eventually stop drinking, then shut it down. she said that i should have my cool mist humidifier-a fogger-the mistking-and even spray the cage down during winter-which makes since. all my herps are about to take over my parents upstairs! lol.

also-she doesn't recommend live plants.

Last edited:
yes, she's recommended online and by exotic pet shops around, she asked me how i took care of him and recommended these forums before i answered :p. from her attitude and knowledge i got to know-i trust her enough-plus-it's better than him not going to the vet at all dontcha think?

(i really like that mellers in your avatar :p btw)

I've never really understood why they want to keep some species overnight.
Keeping a chameleon in a new environment will stress it out (as we've seen posts time and time again) and might cause more harm than good.

I understand they want to keep it to monitor it, but... are they there the whole night? Eh.

I have huge concerns with someone that talks about humidity issues and then does not recommend live plants? Did she give a reason for that? I agree that the average life is 1.5 years due to people not having a clue what they are doing, but with a well planted cage and a household humidifier there should be no issue with maintaining an appropriate climate. I lived right across the bridge there in Indiana, and I know how dry and cold it gets there, and even thought I did not keep reptiles then, I can completely envision a well planted cage covered with plastic maintaining proper humidity. I hope there is a way she can get your guy healthy again. Keep us posted.

She said its a miracle he made it thru thw night and u have to understand he is so sick he has no clue where he is his eyes are completely sunken, she said he has more fight for phhis life than anyone could imagine, ill have more news and a big decision to make at 630 tonight

Poor little guy :( I have my fingers crossed for you both, I so hope he pulls through. I have to agree with regards to live plants, i don`t think i could maintain good humidity without them, the pros definitely out weigh the cons.

yes, i've been using live plants with all my herps for a few years now...and no problems until recently-and it wasn't because of the trees he became sick.

but-latest news-my guy's gone now, on to the chameleon heaven. much love to him-he was struggling so hard just to breath, and when i went in to visit he had one eye on me the whole time...in such awful condition...but he's moved on to a better place.

Back
Top Bottom