New Member, New to Cham Care.

Wildone666

Hello everyone! I recently got my first cham. Was sold to me as a young Ambilobe Panther, they were leaning towards male. I'm not sure of the age. Any help with sexing?I got the basic enclosure set up, used live pathos and ficus. Ill post some pics and would love if I could get some feed back. I just ordered the proper 5.0 uvb bar, a hygrometer, and some real wood branches to replace the "moss sticks".

Attachments

• 20210412_133632.jpg
    20210412_133632.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210412_163439.jpg
    20210412_163439.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 73
That sounds good. To be sure everything else is good, please copy/paste these questions with your answers.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hey , I am also new to ownership again and wanted to introduce myself! I'm tawannapc. I experienced a bowls chameleon some years back and now I'm a first time panther .
I hope we can learn together because I'm starting from 0 again. Your setup is great! Have you installed a mister or planned to use one? If so how did you set up your water tanks/compartments?
team newbies 😃

That sounds good. To be sure everything else is good, please copy/paste these questions with your answers.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
  • Your Chameleon - ambilobe panther, age unknown...a couple months, supposedly male but seller was unsure, 1 week in my care
  • Handling - only a few times while relocating and adding things to enclosure.
  • Feeding - staple of crickets, also purchased black solder fly larve, and horn worms. I usually put 10 -15 crickets into a suspended plastic tray that the crickets can slowly end up climbing out of to free range. I do this in the morning around 7am when I leave for work after misting and lights on for an hour. I am gutloading with a blended mixture of alfalfa sprouts, papaya, orange, sweet potato, zucchini, squash, watercress, rainbow carrots, and mixed with water and unflavored gelatin which I poured into ice cube trays. I also just got repashy supergutload powder to also sprinkle on top.
  • Supplements - repti-cal without d3 light dusting every feed, repti-cal with d3 light dusting every 2 weeks. And I don't have any multi vitamin supplements yet and would love some brand advice.
  • Watering - I am currently hand misting using bottled water and a mister bottle. 2-3 times a day. 3 min In the morning about 20 minutes after his lights come on, a brief one in the afternoon, and another 3 min a few hours before his lights go out. Yes I have seen him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - he has not been tested for parasites, his feces is firm moist, the uriates are white and creamy
  • History - purchased from lll reptile

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - the reptile breeze medium starter kit enclosure. So 16×16×30 mesh.
  • Lighting - right now the included zoo med domelight uvb, basking lamp combo. But ordered the 5.0uvb bar and will put the basking bulb in a clamp housing. They are located on top of the enclosure about 5-6" away from the highest surface cham can basking on, other than the top of the screen.
  • Temperature - the temp sensor located under the basking bulb reads in the low 80's. I just recieved the infrared hand held thermometer gun today so I can update with more accurate info later.
  • Humidity - I'm not sure yet, I purchased a digital hygrometer with sensing bulb used for egg incubaters...it arrives in the few days. I just maintain hand misting for now.
  • Plants - Yes, a small ficus tree that comes to about 4" from the top of the enclosure, a pathos and wandering jewelry plant that are suspended from the top of the enclosure and hang at different heights.
  • Placement - the cage is located in my room, on a rolling metal cabinet, surrounded by metal plant shelving. It is up against a window and Cady corner to another window.there is a fan in the center of the room. No air vents, not alot of traffic other than myself. The top of the enclosure is about 5.5-6' from the floor.
  • Location - Southern California, San diego

Current Problem - just looking for help with multi vitamin supplements, help with sexing/age, any input of DOs and DON'T. Thank you!

Hey , I am also new to ownership again and wanted to introduce myself! I'm tawannapc. I experienced a bowls chameleon some years back and now I'm a first time panther .
I hope we can learn together because I'm starting from 0 again. Your setup is great! Have you installed a mister or planned to use one? If so how did you set up your water tanks/compartments?
team newbies 😃
Hi! I will reply more when I get off work

I am also new to this
Chameleon veiled chameleon girl I can account for about 10 months of age
wild caught from SW Florida
apparently hurricane destroyed a breeders facility about 15-20 years ago.
I rescued her from person that took her from wild and was not taking care of her
(Feeding her grapes and lettuce only..... had her in bird cage.. and other atrocity's)
Cage Type Plants I have screwed two cages together 16 x16x 54 inches planted hibiscus a fern polk a dot plant
and a small palm tree her sticks are bamboo and a tomato scaffold (not the wire one y'all are thinking )
Feeding I feed her crickets meal worms and wax worms until recently
she got as much as she wanted ( Trying to make sure she got healthy after being mistreated)
Placement tricky question in Florida its hot enough most of time to leave her cage out all day.
I take her out in the morning and bring her in at night. ( Raccoons opossums and neighbor hood cats )
no lights or heating lamps on her at night, we keep house at 79 degrees.
Handling I only handle her when working on her cage if it is something I can not do at night while she is sleeping.
Supplements I dust 5 or 6 crickets with reptivite without d3 once a week
Watering I water mist her and the plants once a day during hottest part of afternoon
Other
I have had her since January 2021 she seems to be doing very much better than when I got her
has gained weight out grew first habitat and loves the bamboo that I go cut for her to climb on.
I change the bamboo every few months I worry about mold spores growing in the bamboo as it is drying out
and it seems to make her think she has moved not the same boring house all the time.

• Your Chameleon - ambilobe panther, age unknown...a couple months, supposedly male but seller was unsure, 1 week in my care
  • Handling - only a few times while relocating and adding things to enclosure.
  • Feeding - staple of crickets, also purchased black solder fly larve, and horn worms. I usually put 10 -15 crickets into a suspended plastic tray that the crickets can slowly end up climbing out of to free range. I do this in the morning around 7am when I leave for work after misting and lights on for an hour. I am gutloading with a blended mixture of alfalfa sprouts, papaya, orange, sweet potato, zucchini, squash, watercress, rainbow carrots, and mixed with water and unflavored gelatin which I poured into ice cube trays. I also just got repashy supergutload powder to also sprinkle on top.
  • Supplements - repti-cal without d3 light dusting every feed, repti-cal with d3 light dusting every 2 weeks. And I don't have any multi vitamin supplements yet and would love some brand advice.
  • Watering - I am currently hand misting using bottled water and a mister bottle. 2-3 times a day. 3 min In the morning about 20 minutes after his lights come on, a brief one in the afternoon, and another 3 min a few hours before his lights go out. Yes I have seen him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - he has not been tested for parasites, his feces is firm moist, the uriates are white and creamy
  • History - purchased from lll reptile

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - the reptile breeze medium starter kit enclosure. So 16×16×30 mesh.
  • Lighting - right now the included zoo med domelight uvb, basking lamp combo. But ordered the 5.0uvb bar and will put the basking bulb in a clamp housing. They are located on top of the enclosure about 5-6" away from the highest surface cham can basking on, other than the top of the screen.
  • Temperature - the temp sensor located under the basking bulb reads in the low 80's. I just recieved the infrared hand held thermometer gun today so I can update with more accurate info later.
  • Humidity - I'm not sure yet, I purchased a digital hygrometer with sensing bulb used for egg incubaters...it arrives in the few days. I just maintain hand misting for now.
  • Plants - Yes, a small ficus tree that comes to about 4" from the top of the enclosure, a pathos and wandering jewelry plant that are suspended from the top of the enclosure and hang at different heights.
  • Placement - the cage is located in my room, on a rolling metal cabinet, surrounded by metal plant shelving. It is up against a window and Cady corner to another window.there is a fan in the center of the room. No air vents, not alot of traffic other than myself. The top of the enclosure is about 5.5-6' from the floor.
  • Location - Southern California, San diego

Current Problem - just looking for help with multi vitamin supplements, help with sexing/age, any input of DOs and DON'T. Thank you!

Congrats on the new guy. seems like its a male, im 99% sure based on what i saw on your other post. I would say about 3 or 3½ months old at least, kinda hard to tell, some grow faster than others.

Feeders:
Be careful with the crickets free ranging, they can pick at your cham at night and injure his scales. I will add some dubias to his diet too.

Supplements:
Your supplements seem fine, for multivitamin i use zoomed reptivite without D3 and i would alternate with vit. d3 every weekend. Lets say you choose Saturday to give the extra supplement, so one Saturday do D3 the other Saturday multivitamin and so on. And all the other days just regular calcium with no d3.

Cage: you'll need at least a 24"x24"x48" cage.

Basking temps as long as they dont exceed 85 you should be fine. Make sure he doesn't get burnt when he screen climbs, so have the adequate height between basking light and cage top.

Everything else seems good so far. Also, i know you already said you're getting the linear uvb, but that's really crucial for them. I would get that asap.

Welcome and good luck!

Congrats on the new guy. seems like its a male, im 99% sure based on what i saw on your other post. I would say about 3 or 3½ months old at least, kinda hard to tell, some grow faster than others.

Feeders:
Be careful with the crickets free ranging, they can pick at your cham at night and injure his scales. I will add some dubias to his diet too.

Supplements:
Your supplements seem fine, for multivitamin i use zoomed reptivite without D3 and i would alternate with vit. d3 every weekend. Lets say you choose Saturday to give the extra supplement, so one Saturday do D3 the other Saturday multivitamin and so on. And all the other days just regular calcium with no d3.

Cage: you'll need at least a 24"x24"x48" cage.

Basking temps as long as they dont exceed 85 you should be fine. Make sure he doesn't get burnt when he screen climbs, so have the adequate height between basking light and cage top.

Everything else seems good so far. Also, i know you already said you're getting the linear uvb, but that's really crucial for them. I would get that asap.

Welcome and good luck!
Thank you so much for the info, I really really appreciateit. ! I got the lingerie uvb all set up on Friday, also put in a hygrometer. Got the same reptivite without d3 and have been following the almost exact regiment you mentioned. I also stopped allowing the free range crickets, and have been feeding bsfl and small super worms in a feeder cup in the morning and removing any leftovers at night and fresh gutloading new feeders overnight. Waiting for restock of small dubias at local shop. Also he looks like he's getting ready to shed, I can see the dullness and milkyness on his scales. Also, his bulge is becoming more apparent and am excited he's showing his manhood lmao. Once again ty so much

Thank you so much for the info, I really really appreciateit. ! I got the lingerie uvb all set up on Friday, also put in a hygrometer. Got the same reptivite without d3 and have been following the almost exact regiment you mentioned. I also stopped allowing the free range crickets, and have been feeding bsfl and small super worms in a feeder cup in the morning and removing any leftovers at night and fresh gutloading new feeders overnight. Waiting for restock of small dubias at local shop. Also he looks like he's getting ready to shed, I can see the dullness and milkyness on his scales. Also, his bulge is becoming more apparent and am excited he's showing his manhood lmao. Once again ty so much
No problem

Back
Top Bottom