New Member - Gravid Female Veiled

JRchameleons

Hello all,

My name is Justin, and although this will be my first post on the forums, I assure you that I am not new here. I learned nearly everything I know about chameleons from here, along with the Raising Kitty the Veiled Chameleon blog. Although I have been reading posts on this forum for some time, I am very nervous about my gravid female veiled right now, and I felt the need to finally make a username and post about my situation.

I have four chameleons, and my husbandry is in line with the recommendations of this forum's most experienced members. I mated my veiled chameleons exactly 29 days ago, and I am now a nervous wreck. My female veiled has been scratching around for about 6 days, and she stopped eating 3 days ago. This morning she finally started digging in her laying bin (a 12"x14" flowerpot full of wet sand), but she dug diagonally until she hit the side of the bin, and then stopped and came back out. She's been up and down her cage all day, and she is HUGE with eggs, but she still hasn't laid them. I have read many egg-laying posts, but I am so nervous right now and I need reassurance that this is normal. She should be laying today or tomorrow right? At what point should I take her to the vet if she doesn't?

I would post a picture, but I don't want to disturb her right now. I put a sheet around the sides of her cage in case she just isn't feeling secure enough to lay.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For what it's worth...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female veiled, unsure of exact age but she appears to be fully grown (she's bigger than most female veileds a few years old that I've seen)
Handling - Maybe once every other week
Feeding - About 5-6 crickets most days, but I also change it up a couple of times a week with hornworms, butterworms, phoenix worms, dubia, painted ladies, and WC moths
Supplements - RepCal (no D3) almost every day, RepCal with D3 once every other week, multivitamins once every other week (alternating between Herptivite, Reptivite, and Sticky Tongue Miner-All O)
Watering - I hand mist 2-3 times a day and use a dripper some days
Fecal Description - Brown with white urates. Never tested for parasites, but I have never had any health problems with her thus far.
History - I got her from Petsmart close to a year ago.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 2'x2'x3' screen cage
Lighting - Repti Glo 5.0 tube, 60 Watt incandescent bulb
Temperature - Her basking spot stays around the low 80s, and her cage floor gets down to 69 on cold days.
Humidity - Humidity ranges 45-85
Plants - Live schefflera with fake vines
Placement - Cage is on a table in the corner of my living room. Another cham is housed next to her, but there is a curtain between their cages. Some daily traffic but nothing crazy. Top on cage is about 6 feet off the ground.
Location - US Southeast

I am no expert but if she isn't liking the laying been due to size try putting sand in a large garbage can and placing her in the can till she lays. I know that a few members don't have much luck with their females in laying bins and have to move them to something larger. I am sure the more experienced breeders will chime in her soon. Also if she thinks you are watching they will often not lay, place up a barrier that has a hole in it so they can't see you but you can look in on her.

Last edited:
I would just let her be for a little while. What did you use for her to lay in? Is it of a consistency where she will be able to build a tunnel or is it dry and collapsing? If its ok just let her make her way back in. If she already started to dig once she knows what to do.

Read this blog! It helped me ALOT when I was going thru the same nerve wracking time with my female...Good luck!!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Also if she thinks you are watching they will often not lay, place up a barrier that has a hole in it so they can't see you but you can look in on her.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have done both of these things. I was thinking about the large trash can idea, but I'm so scared to stress her out by picking her up and putting her in it. She's my only cham that doesn't take very kindly to handling. But yes, I know some members have done this with success. Maybe I'll give her one more day to lay on her own before trying that? I don't know. I'm so worried because I know that there's only a specific window of time when oxytocin can induce laying, and I'm so afraid of she'll get past that point! I'm sure I'm just being paranoid though. It's only been 29 days, so she shouldn't be there yet. Right?

I would just let her be for a little while. What did you use for her to lay in? Is it of a consistency where she will be able to build a tunnel or is it dry and collapsing? If its ok just let her make her way back in. If she already started to dig once she knows what to do.

It should be the right amount of moisture. I dug a test hole a few days ago and it worked well, and I added a little more water to the sand this morning.

It should be the right amount of moisture. I dug a test hole a few days ago and it worked well, and I added a little more water to the sand this morning.

I would just let her do her thing. I've had female panthers go almost 40-45 days before laying. I don't think your at the point of a vet visit for an oxytocin shot yet. Good luck and keep us all posted!

I would just let her do her thing. I've had female panthers go almost 40-45 days before laying. I don't think your at the point of a vet visit for an oxytocin shot yet. Good luck and keep us all posted!

Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better. I thought I was totally ready for this but MAN the stress is killing me. Lol

Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better. I thought I was totally ready for this but MAN the stress is killing me. Lol

The first time is nerve racking because you want to keep checking in on her. But, as long as you have a bin in there and she already went and tested it out, it's only a matter of time before she will head back on in.

Females often dig a test hole or two, just chillax and give her space, they'll sometimes abandon holes if they see people hanging around.

Eggs!!!

Today was 33 days after mating, and I now have 36 perfect veiled chameleon eggs! My girl is looking great and eating like a champ. I'm so excited! :D

Attachments

• 678A0414.jpg
    678A0414.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 135
Congrats on your eggs! (ive been off the forum for a while, I lost my female) how many survived incubation? (curious!)

Back
Top Bottom