New Meller Chameleon Not doing so Well

This could not have gotten any worse. I have not slept since Friday due to keeping a constant eye on the chameleon, Today I had gave him some water and he began keeping his eyes completely open. A little while later went back to check and he was roaming around and had just caught a cricket and noticed a few where missing. He basically looked great, took picture wrote post that it would all be uphill from here. So to play it 100 percent safe decided to run down to pet store down the road since he was finally doing so well and to go ahead and purchase better cage, lights and everything instead of waiting till Thursday. I purchased a reptibreeze screen cage as well as the Terrarium hood with the reptisun 5.0 uvb light and a few more crickets so not to take any chance, figure it was bit extreme since all my real items would be coming in in four days but got way to attached and did not want to regret later if anything did happen. Well I get home shortly after and go to set it up the cage to see the Chameleon is lifeless, and shriveled up and could instantly tell he was dead from ten feet away. I had a good idea something was seriously wrong with this guy before I even received him since the day he arrived the guy I ordered him from never responded to a single call or email again. Just don't understand how people could do this, so here I am with well over $500 dollars spent not even included the chameleon himself, and 3/4 of the items never even got used. I just cant believe I kept a constant eye on him and have been up all night and day to keep a constant eye and when he starts to actually walk all around and start eating and looked incredible I leave for 45 minutes to pick up item to play it as safe as possible and come home to this. I believe I did everything I possibly could but obviously the guy who sold this to me knew this thing was 100 percent guaranteed to die. Well thank you everyone with all the input and suggestions was fun to be part of chameleonforums even though it was short lived.

Here he is after just getting a cricket on his own and chewing him up and climbing back up onto the branch, was so excited.

I know this may be weird but still felt obligated to build the entire habitat, assemble cage and set up the uvb light and hood and layed him in it for minute since he didn't actually live long enough to really experience it. But from the picture you can see this is how I found him when i returned, layed out and shriveled up.

I am so sorry for your loss. Keep everything, do allot of research and then try again. This time buy from a reputable seller.

Oh, my gosh...I am so sorry. I completely understand your need to build the whole set up for him. It was your tribute to him.

Remember, you did not buy this animal, it was thrust upon you. I'm sure you're right: they knew it was dying so gave it away rather than deal with it.

If it were me, I'd make my displeasure known. I'd certainly never buy another animal from them again. They do not deserve to have you as a customer.

To make things worse less then 2 weeks ago had a caiman delivered and was complely lathargic on dilevery and died few hours later and I already have collection of caiman. So I called to tell the company and the first lady was unbelievably rude and was telling me how they been extremly active for five months now and I currently had 2 month old of same type and they dwarfed this one so right away was like oh really that amazing since there 2 months old at absolute best.. Then they told me to mail it back and they would do full autoposy and fin reason of death but still wouldn't refund anything or even give discounted price on another one which I still would have never done. So that was $350 out the window (S & S exotics), well then I meet this other guy to get a caiman from and tells me since shipping was delayed he'll give me discount on a chameleon which now I see prob meant let me get rid of sickest most screwed up one I got. So basically have just had terrible terrible luck and two of my last three pets ordered didn't even last week. Think it's time for a long break in purchasing new pets, can't handle another death anytime soon. Think I will research for awhile And maybe catch good deal on another meller from a good source since I now have two entire set ups for chameleons and even had girlfriend run to plant store today and get all the the different plants for large set up and couple for my temporary screened one and was couple hours away from purchasing pro-mist 50 to have easy to.

Sorry to heard about that friend, people can be horrible sometimes - especially in the pet business.

Just know that he is obviously in the best place possible, and probably thanking you for everything you did to make his last days the best.

If you are going to consider another chameleon ( or two ) i would probably advise against Melleri for the time being. As stated they are usually Wild Caught and never in good health if WC ( wild caught ). They would need a lot of prior experience with chameleons, as well as a lot of Melleri specific knowledge.

If you are dead set on a Melleri though, I would ask that you look for a CB (captive bred) one that would be much easier to acclimate than a WC animal, though my no means is any Melleri an easy starter chameleon. Personally I have had chameleons for nearly 6 years on and off, getting "serious" with it in the last year alone, and I still am "Considering" if I would be right for a Melleri in the future.

Not to turn you away from chameleons, any of our site sponsors would be more than happy to sell you a Veiled or Panther chameleon that would obviously be CB and in perfect health.

Example of a Panther chameleon
Isairy_mifidy_10.jpg

Example of a Veiled Chameleon
Veiled_Chameleon.jpg

both of these species are excellent for beginners, and can be quite enjoyable pets. Though I must admit they hardly compare size wise to what you had with a Melleri.

Such a sad ending........

I am so sorry for your loss. Despite you efforts at rehydration and feeding there may have been some things going on inside his body that we could not see. Parasites can actually perforate through the stomach and intestines. Internal infections can become septic (in the blood) and cause death. Unless you do a full necropsy with tissue and blood tests you are never going to know the real cause.

You have had some terrible experiences. Don't give up. I think you can have some really happy outcomes if you stick with the sponsors and sellers found on this forum. Keep your new equipment and spend some time on this forum. Pretty soon you will find something to fill that empty cage.

I am so sorry for your loss. Despite you efforts at rehydration and feeding there may have been some things going on inside his body that we could not see. Parasites can actually perforate through the stomach and intestines. Internal infections can become septic (in the blood) and cause death. Unless you do a full necropsy with tissue and blood tests you are never going to know the real cause.

You have had some terrible experiences. Don't give up. I think you can have some really happy outcomes if you stick with the sponsors and sellers found on this forum. Keep your new equipment and spend some time on this forum. Pretty soon you will find something to fill that empty cage.

Well said, Catherine.

I am sorry that you had to endure this and you made such a valiant effort to bring him/her back around - you should pat yourself on the back. Some people don't even do that much for their healthy ones. Please don't let this experience tarnish chameleon keeping for you. It is a shame that you had to experience this and I wish sellers like this would not be in business because it really hurts us all, not to mention the animals. There are really so many good sellers out there that will not sell you unhealthy animals and who will be there for you every step of the way, most of whom are here on this forum.

Sorry for your bad exp. I dont ever bash sellers on this forum but this is once instance where i have to comment. I live in Houston Texas. That i where S&S exoptics is located. I went there once yrs ago to look for supplies for my blue & gold macaw. They run a dirty store. The cages were filthy and the animals all looked sick. If you see any of their ads on Kingsnake or Fauna run dont walk the other way.

Back
Top Bottom