New light

Russ.lee

Hi everyone
My name is Russ,
I'm new on here so please forgive me if I have not done this post correctly (still trying to find my way around)
Anyway I have just got my first chameleon setup , I'm using a Mercury vapour 3D basking lamp 100w Recommend by the reptile shop and was wondering if anyone else uses these and thought's/opinions as to performance, and wether good or bad choice my Viv is the Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Screen Cage 61 x 61 x 122 cm Thanks in advance
16048718255234132770379196703.jpg
16048718953569109893460662391779.jpg

Using a mercury bulb is not the best for chamelons. A 100W is going to be too hot, unfortunately. The temperature needs to be no more than. 85F for males and 80F for females. Like @PoseidonTheChameleon said, a normal incandecent house bulb with no LED would work just fine.

Its fine if you have a UVB meter. But with that current setup its odds are 2-4x too much UVB, and like others stated, its a 150 watt basking bulb too.

So odds are it needs raised a foot and put in the middle of the cage instead of setup like a basking bulb.

Its fine if you have a UVB meter. But with that current setup its odds are 2-4x too much UVB, and like others stated, its a 150 watt basking bulb too.

So odds are it needs raised a foot and put in the middle of the cage instead of setup like a basking bulb.
No it's 100w not 150

Using a mercury bulb is not the best for chamelons. A 100W is going to be too hot, unfortunately. The temperature needs to be no more than. 85F for males and 80F for females. Like @PoseidonTheChameleon said, a normal incandecent house bulb with no LED would work just fine.
I think the only time to use a mercury vapor is if you have an exceptionally tall enclosure and it is heavily covered with plants.
Even with that being said you still need to monitor with a solar meter.

Last edited:
I think the only time to use a mercury vapor is if you have an exceptionally tall enclosure and it is heavily covered with plants.
Even with that being said you still need to monitor with a uvb meter.
Okay, thank you for the explanation! I agree! ???

I choose not to use mercury vapor due to... mercury vapor! (and its effects on the environment—old hippie here). I have enough problem with T5 UVB bulbs which also contain mercury (not just UVB—all fluorescents contain mercury).

More affordable UVB LEDs are on the way—won't be soon enough for me.
I've already gone all-LED for plant lights; comparable cost, last 5 times longer, and no mercury. ;)

I choose not to use mercury vapor due to... mercury vapor! (and its effects on the environment—old hippie here). I have enough problem with T5 UVB bulbs which also contain mercury (not just UVB—all fluorescents contain mercury).

More affordable UVB LEDs are on the way—won't be soon enough for me.
I've already gone all-LED for plant lights; comparable cost, last 5 times longer, and no mercury. ;)
I'll be keeping my eyes open for them

Back
Top Bottom