New Keeper Seeking Feedback

Kyle Harvey

Hello Everyone,

I have been stalking this page, Reddit.com/r/chameleons, chameleon academy, Neptune the Chameleon on Youtube, and many more for almost a year now. I've been assembling what I hope to be the right environment for a new baby chameleon. I am ordering a male from Kammerflage Kreations. I will be getting a Locale cross from Watchman and Missandei. This guy is from the same clutch. They are 75% Ambilobe + 25% Nosy Be.

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback on my current set up as I am doing all i can to make sure everything is right. Please let me know what you think:

Cage: Reptibreeze XL with dragon strand ledges. I used a shower curtain behind two of the sides to prevent misting spray from hitting my walls. The cage is placed in the corner of my office. Away from the vent.

Stand: 2ft tall end table

Drainage: PVC to tub in end table

Lights: 24" Reptisun T5 HO hood w/ 5.0 Reptisun bulb. Reptisun T5 Hood is resting on top of cage. 2.9 UV index read at highest branch which is 7.5" from top of screen. This branch is going to be his UVB basking branch. 1.9 UV reading measured 12 inches from top of cage. 1.5 UV reading measured at 18 inches from top of cage. Solar Meter used. Lights are on timer and go on at 7am and off at 7pm. Also have an LED Grow light on a 12 hour timer (7am-7pm) for my plants.

Heat Lamp: Reptizoo Dome w/ 100W incandescent bulb hanging from ceiling. 85 degrees on basking branch. Basking branch is located 7 inches from top of cage and 12 inches from dome. Etekcity handheld thermometer used. Light is on timer and go on at 7am and off at 7pm.

Humidity: MistKing Starter kit. I have one nozzle right now but have a second nozzle that will be coming this afternoon. Both will be in the front to hit all areas of the cage. Humidity sits anywhere between 68-77% humidity during the day. Measured with Reptizoo digital hygrometer. Misting once in the morning 6:45am before the lights go on and at 6:45pm right before lights go off. Both sessions are 2 minutes each. Using RO water with tub in cabinet underneath. Homemade dripper is ready to go as soon as he gets here.

Branches: Cut from my live oak trees in my back yard. All poky (If that's a word) twigs were cut off and sanded down to ensure there are no sharp edges. I washed all plants and branches with Seventh Generation soap and let out to dry in the sun for several days. Branches were attached via zip-ties. I have one set of Eonmir flexible vines added in the cage along with oak sticks to have different climbing surfaces. I just bought another set to add a few more intersections for climbing.

Plants: Plants were washed with Seventh Generation soap. All plants have large river rocks (washed) ontop soil. I have a Mass Cane plant, Croton, pothos, and bromiliad in there. Need to hang my Golden Pothos to the right side of the cage.

Feeders: The little guy is currently being fed 1/4" crickets at Kammerflage. So, I have 1/4" crickets, x-small dubias, wax worms, and black soldier fly larvae ready for him. Crickets and Dubia's are currently being fed Repashy bug burgers, carrots, spinach, and sweet potato.

Supplements: Could use help here. At Kammerflage He’s currently being fed crickets dusted with Repashy Calcium plus at all feedings. I have Repti Calcium without D3 that I was planing on using for dusting prior to feeding the chameleon daily. Planning on Repashy Calcium Plus LoD to be used the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month for dusting bugs prior feeding. Reptivite without D3 will be used the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month for dusting bugs prior to feeding. Kammerflage uses Repashy Calcium plus for all dustings. So I am debating what to do there. (1) Buy Repashy Calcium plus for all dustings and used Repashy Caclium Plus LoD twice a month or (2) Use Repti Calcium daily and supplement Repashy Calcium plus LoD twice a month.

Feeding: Plan to cup feed regularly. Just got a feeder cup from Full Throttle today. Someone suggested this will keep the crickets in the cup. Goal is to continue to cup feed, but also begin working on hand feeding in a few months. Plan is to feed 1-2 times daily at first. (I know there will be a week or so where he is getting used to his new home and might not eat much) Plan is to offer dubias, black soldier fly larvae, and crickets consistently. Will mix in super and wax worms and treats. I plan to get horned worms once he is big enough.

Like I mentioned earlier. I am all ears for suggestions and feedback. I want to make sure everything is right for this chameleon before he gets here.

Attachments

• 44685896-0224-4777-ACE8-9FB46C1AF461.jpeg
    44685896-0224-4777-ACE8-9FB46C1AF461.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 2CCA1A11-52EE-4D3A-9EDF-340BD1899A99.jpeg
    2CCA1A11-52EE-4D3A-9EDF-340BD1899A99.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 157
  • A5973D62-9E07-4749-9520-F7091A197D42.jpeg
    A5973D62-9E07-4749-9520-F7091A197D42.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 157
  • E6DF1D30-55C9-4C9D-9685-0905E73E4ACB.jpeg
    E6DF1D30-55C9-4C9D-9685-0905E73E4ACB.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 153
  • C9B51185-FA81-421D-A7C6-033866F8DB00.jpeg
    C9B51185-FA81-421D-A7C6-033866F8DB00.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 159
  • ECDD5751-9843-4BA5-A84A-66FBFE6A00B7.jpeg
    ECDD5751-9843-4BA5-A84A-66FBFE6A00B7.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 160
Over all looks great. You can tell you studied up quite a bit.

Supplements: Could use help here. At Kammerflage He’s currently being fed crickets dusted with Repashy Calcium plus at all feedings. I have Repti Calcium without D3 that I was planing on using for dusting prior to feeding the chameleon daily. Planning on Repashy Calcium Plus LoD to be used the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month for dusting bugs prior feeding. Reptivite without D3 will be used the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month for dusting bugs prior to feeding. Kammerflage uses Repashy Calcium plus for all dustings. So I am debating what to do there. (1) Buy Repashy Calcium plus for all dustings and used Repashy Caclium Plus LoD twice a month or (2) Use Repti Calcium daily and supplement Repashy Calcium plus LoD twice a month.

So this one. If you use calcium without D3 at each feeding and then the Repashy calcium plus LoD then you would only do the LOD 2 times a month. No additional supplements would be added in.

Humidity: MistKing Starter kit. I have one nozzle right now but have a second nozzle that will be coming this afternoon. Both will be in the front to hit all areas of the cage. Humidity sits anywhere between 68-77% humidity during the day. Measured with Reptizoo digital hygrometer. Misting once in the morning 6:45am before the lights go on and at 6:45pm right before lights go off. Both sessions are 2 minutes each. Using RO water with tub in cabinet underneath. Homemade dripper is ready to go as soon as he gets here.
Watch that daytime humidity... your ambient should sit around 50% during the day. It can peak to your numbers after a misting but you do not want it sitting that high all day.

Check the levels on basking and lower down. Your basking level should be anywhere from 10-20% lower then humidity gradients lower into the plants.

Over all looks great. You can tell you studied up quite a bit.

So this one. If you use calcium without D3 at each feeding and then the Repashy calcium plus LoD then you would only do the LOD 2 times a month. No additional supplements would be added in.

Watch that daytime humidity... your ambient should sit around 50% during the day. It can peak to your numbers after a misting but you do not want it sitting that high all day.

Check the levels on basking and lower down. Your basking level should be anywhere from 10-20% lower then humidity gradients lower into the plants.

- I've been stalking your comments on here about Repashy. I know you and others talk about this with Vit A % and more that is way over my head haha. So, if you think this is good I will use Repti Calcium w/out D3 for every feeding and then use Repashy Calcium plus LoD 2 times a month.
- I am thinking the humidity levels might be high right now given it's been raining a lot in Austin lately. I will look to dial the humidity back down though.
- When you say check your basking. You are saying that I should move my humidity gauge over to the basking spot to make sure the humidity levels are 10-20% lower. Correct?

Hi looks good you might want to lower daytime humidity 50/70 %daytime for a panther. Can have spikes doesn't have to sit at top end up to 100 at night. I have 3 three lights all coming on and going off at different times to simulate the day getting brighter and warmer and vice versa this is just a thought not necessary. Uvb 8-8 plant light 10-6 basking 9-5

- I've been stalking your comments on here about Repashy. I know you and others talk about this with Vit A % and more that is way over my head haha. So, if you think this is good I will use Repti Calcium w/out D3 for every feeding and then use Repashy Calcium plus LoD 2 times a month.
- I am thinking the humidity levels might be high right now given it's been raining a lot in Austin lately. I will look to dial the humidity back down though.
- When you say check your basking. You are saying that I should move my humidity gauge over to the basking spot to make sure the humidity levels are 10-20% lower. Correct?
LOL awwww I love being stalked. So here is the thing with multivitamins... I prefer them to have preformed vitamin A and D3 together. These two seem to work together which is why you will almost always see a multi with them together. Repashy makes great products I personally use their plain calcium NoD over repti calcium because I think it is a better quality product. So with repashy and their all in one products... LoD or just cal Plus either of those can also be used two times a month. They have preformed A and D3 along with all the other essentials.

I have a solarmeter and check my UVI as well but I still supplement with a multi that has D3 two times a month. This is my back up plan. No chance of overdose either because even if they make enough from the UVB these are two different things they way they process them in the body orally vs light conversion. That is a long explanation that I would screw up but that is the basic of it.

Per your humidity yes... get a govee gauge... that you can move around in the enclosure to test your areas. Here is the one I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyways your going to pull different readings in your cage... Basking should be lower because that is closer to the lights and heat. Then mid level should rise going to the bottom where it will be even higher. These are the gradients you want. So if your gauge is in the plants this is going to show a higher % because of the location.

Also just to note watch that basking temp and the 100 watt bulb. I know kammerflage recommends a basking of 85 for their babies. And their babies are used to it because that is what they have been kept under. Most of us like to drop it a bit lower. But as he matures your going to have to raise that fixture because he will be even closer to it. You do not want him ever hotter then 85 even as an adult. I prefer 80-82 at basking.

Hi looks good you might want to lower daytime humidity 50/70 %daytime for a panther. Can have spikes doesn't have to sit at top end up to 100 at night. I have 3 three lights all coming on and going off at different times to simulate the day getting brighter and warmer and vice versa this is just a thought not necessary. Uvb 8-8 plant light 10-6 basking 9-5
I like your idea of alternating lights. I will give that a try. It simulates how the sun will be if they were outside.

I will dial the humidity back a tad. I also wonder if it’s so high right now because of all the rain we’re having down here.

I also as I have to many bits and pieces keep a humidity gauge in the same room thats not in the enclosure

I also use an ekelcity 800 laser grip . But also have 4 wired probes 1 temp at basking spot and 1 near the bottom. And 2 humidity 1 middle and 1 where my girl sleeps and a govee up top (which doesn't get wet so as not to get incorrect readings lol

Nice job on doing your research! You will fit right in here on the forums;)

One thing I might add to the cage is more branches. Especially if you are getting a baby/juvenile--they can be restless and have a reputation for screen crawling. Also, are there any smaller branches you can use for that basking spot? It looks a little large. Large branches are good, but at least in my opinion, I like the basking branch to be something that they can easily grip and maneuver around on since they will sometimes bask on the branch sideways to absorb as much heat as possible or to get farther away from the light in the opposite direction. This is just my opinion. Though too small of a branch becomes a challenge to get an accurate temp when using a temp gun. A happy medium is always good! (In all honesty, your branch size is probably fine)

The cage is looking good. I might add another plant in there--oh nevermind--I just read that you still need to add your golden pothos to it. As long as he has some good hiding places to get out of your prying eyes then you should be fine. Nice job.

Nice job on doing your research! You will fit right in here on the forums;)

One thing I might add to the cage is more branches. Especially if you are getting a baby/juvenile--they can be restless and have a reputation for screen crawling. Also, are there any smaller branches you can use for that basking spot? It looks a little large. Large branches are good, but at least in my opinion, I like the basking branch to be something that they can easily grip and maneuver around on since they will sometimes bask on the branch sideways to absorb as much heat as possible or to get farther away from the light in the opposite direction. This is just my opinion. Though too small of a branch becomes a challenge to get an accurate temp when using a temp gun. A happy medium is always good! (In all honesty, your branch size is probably fine)

The cage is looking good. I might add another plant in there--oh nevermind--I just read that you still need to add your golden pothos to it. As long as he has some good hiding places to get out of your prying eyes then you should be fine. Nice job.
Beat me to it for branches! Also, @Kyle Harvey check out MadCham https://www.madcham.de/en/ and Much Ado About Chameleons http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/ along with these other resource links https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/ for more info!

Thank you for this. I sent a picture to Kammerflage as I wanted their feedback to try and mimic their setup as much as possible to alleviate stress for the little guy. She said the same thing - Add smaller branches. So, I am actually working on this right now. I am going to put a smaller branch near the basking bulb, a smaller branch near the UVB basking area, and then a few more smaller branches in the middle to create more intersections.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom