New Keeper and would like some advice

I just got my first chameleon Karma. I'm so in love with my boy! I did lots of research before getting him but I am having new mom syndrome, I am worried about everything! from his eyes to his color. I would love for someone to look over my husbandry and give me any tips they might have. Thanks!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, and 2-3 months. He was when 2-3 months when I got him on 2/27/20 from FL Chams.
  • Handling – None right now, I want him to get settled for a week before I start working with him. I've only handled him when taking him out of the cup and putting him in his cage.
  • Feeding – 10-15 crickets, in a feeder cup, so I can track how much he eats. The crickets get Fluker’s products, apples, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. Dusted 2nd day on, 1 day off. The first day with Herptivite, next day with Repti Calcium with D3, then undusted cricket the third day and repeat. I want to add in dubias and super worms (the store was out when I when to get feeders).
  • Supplements - Herptivite, Repti Calcium with D3. Dusted 2nd day on, 1 day off. The first day with Herptivite, next day with Repti Calcium with D3, then undusted cricket the third day and repeat.
  • Watering – Mistking. 2 minutes x 4 times a day. I do not see him chameleon drink. Hand-Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants, 1-2x a week for about a minute near the roots of the plants and I will mist down the other side of the cage that doesn’t get wet normally.]
  • Fecal Description – haven’t seen poop yet
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Screen 24x24x48 (Reptibreeze XL)
  • Lighting – 9 am-9 pm, Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 36", Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture with 5.5-Inch Dome, Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs - 60 Watt
  • Temperature – 70F-95F, Night: 68F (that I’ve seen), Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge, Zoo Med Digital Thermometer, JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge]
  • Humidity – 50-70% JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge], Hand Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants], Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge
  • Plants – A golden pothos hanging from the top of the cage. And a small dracaena in the bottom of the cage.
  • Placement – The cage is in the corner of my room that I have a little hallway that goes to the sunroom. I never use that door, so he has a wall on each side and a closed-door that no one ever touches on the other side. The cage sits perfectly in the space with about a foot on either side. The top of the cage is about 6’1-6’2
  • Location – Valdosta, GA. (Southern Georgia)
IMG_6248.JPG
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6238.JPG
IMG_6224.JPG
IMG_6252.JPG

Hows he doing? I see hes a young guy, going to buy off FL chams myself this week or next but unsure if to get a baby or juvi. What's he eating and how much if you dont mind me asking

Setup looks good, calendar next to the enclosure looks even better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here is some additional feedback I have:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, and 2-3 months. He was when 2-3 months when I got him on 2/27/20 from FL Chams.
  • Handling – None right now, I want him to get settled for a week before I start working with him. I've only handled him when taking him out of the cup and putting him in his cage.
  • Feeding – 10-15 crickets, in a feeder cup, so I can track how much he eats. The crickets get Fluker’s products, apples, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. Dusted 2nd day on, 1 day off. The first day with Herptivite, next day with Repti Calcium with D3, then undusted cricket the third day and repeat. I want to add in dubias and super worms (the store was out when I when to get feeders).
  • Supplements - Herptivite, Repti Calcium with D3. Dusted 2nd day on, 1 day off. The first day with Herptivite, next day with Repti Calcium with D3, then undusted cricket the third day and repeat.
    He should only be given calcium with D3 roughly twice a month as a precaution. Supplemental D3 can build up and cause edema. Naturally synthesized D3 from exposure to UVB does not have this drawback. Crickets should be lightly dusted with calcium without D3 every feeding (except twice a month with D3).
  • Watering – Mistking. 2 minutes x 4 times a day. I do not see him chameleon drink. Hand-Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants, 1-2x a week for about a minute near the roots of the plants and I will mist down the other side of the cage that doesn’t get wet normally.]
    Misting schedule looks OK but I do not have much experience with screen enclosures. I would keep a close eye on his feces and make sure the urates are white(ish).
  • Fecal Description – haven’t seen poop yet see above. if urates are dark/orange then he is dehydrated
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting – 9 am-9 pm, Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 36", Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture with 5.5-Inch Dome, Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs - 60 Watt
  • Temperature – 70F-95F, Night: 68F (that I’ve seen), Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge, Zoo Med Digital Thermometer, JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge]
    95F seems a bit high, even for a veiled chameleon. I think 85F basking temps should be sufficient but I will defer to those who have actually kept veileds.
  • Humidity – 50-70% JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge], Hand Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants], Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge
  • Plants – A golden pothos hanging from the top of the cage. And a small dracaena in the bottom of the cage.
  • Placement – The cage is in the corner of my room that I have a little hallway that goes to the sunroom. I never use that door, so he has a wall on each side and a closed-door that no one ever touches on the other side. The cage sits perfectly in the space with about a foot on either side. The top of the cage is about 6’1-6’2
Lastly, I would add more branches and possible more plants to the middle and lower parts of the cage (especially with those high basking temps) to give him more climbing and microclimate options. Having nothing there is a waste of all that great vertical space your enclosure provides.

Hows he doing? I see hes a young guy, going to buy off FL chams myself this week or next but unsure if to get a baby or juvi. What's he eating and how much if you dont mind me asking

He has been eating crickets (small) from the pet store that I gut load at home. The had been out of supperworms until today so I'm going to try to offer him one tomorrow. The first day he arrived he didn't eat. Every day sense (amount eaten/amount offered): (11/15) (7/10) (3/11) (8/13) (10/14) (9/11) (11/11).
He has really settled in and started to show his colors while basic and hint at what his personality might be like.

Setup looks good, calendar next to the enclosure looks even better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here is some additional feedback I have:

He should only be given calcium with D3 roughly twice a month as a precaution. Supplemental D3 can build up and cause edema. Naturally synthesized D3 from exposure to UVB does not have this drawback. Crickets should be lightly dusted with calcium without D3 every feeding (except twice a month with D3).
    Misting schedule looks OK but I do not have much experience with screen enclosures. I would keep a close eye on his feces and make sure the urates are white(ish).
  • Fecal Description – haven’t seen poop yet see above. if urates are dark/orange then he is dehydrated

Cage Info:
    95F seems a bit high, even for a veiled chameleon. I think 85F basking temps should be sufficient but I will defer to those who have actually kept veileds.
Lastly, I would add more branches and possible more plants to the middle and lower parts of the cage (especially with those high basking temps) to give him more climbing and microclimate options. Having nothing there is a waste of all that great vertical space your enclosure provides.

Thanks for the information, I have add more plants. My first attempt did not work out too well. I have adjusted my basking temps a bit, I thought that might be a little hight.

IMG_6272.jpg

Congrats, but I regret to inform you that there is no cure for “new mom syndrome.” You’ll be watching and questioning his poops from now until eternity! :p I speak from personal experience!

Definitely check out rainbowmealworms.com for cheap and various feeders. Be sure to offer good gutloads and a proper supplementation schedule.

Lots of great info and people here, great you have found the forums.

Congrats, but I regret to inform you that there is no cure for “new mom syndrome.” You’ll be watching and questioning his poops from now until eternity! :p I speak from personal experience!

Definitely check out rainbowmealworms.com for cheap and various feeders. Be sure to offer good gutloads and a proper supplementation schedule.

How much does their shipping cost? I'm gonna be ordering some dubias, hornworms and some bsfl soon

How much does their shipping cost? I'm gonna be ordering some dubias, hornworms and some bsfl soon

It depends on the weight, but I find that even with shipping, their prices are much cheaper than local petshops. More convenient for me, too.

Any possibility of getting an update on your lil guy?
Yes sorry it took so long to get back to you, life got crazy super fast.

He is doing great now, everything is fine. He is just a bit of a picky eater with new foods and supplements. And it was a week before he started to shed. He fully shed on the 14th. Now he's back to his normal self.

Yes sorry it took so long to get back to you, life got crazy super fast.

He is doing great now, everything is fine. He is just a bit of a picky eater with new foods and supplements. And it was a week before he started to shed. He fully shed on the 14th. Now he's back to his normal self.
No worries hope all is good over there. And that's good to hear I just ordered mine this morning so hopefully get him tomorrow. Mind posting an updated picture

add umbrella trees. You need bushy plants to fill up the bottom half of the cage. If they are too small, you can put them on a bin to make them bigger.

Attachments

• ADULTPABLOCAGE.JPG
    ADULTPABLOCAGE.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom