New Johnstonii

Really sad to hear he dident make it:(
I guess we all dit are best to give these the best care and keeping them unther the best conditions...
Focus on the good once ,several other Rwenzori males came in maybe you can loan one for breeding so not all is lost.
I wish you the best with the other once.

I am really sorry to hear you lost him. I was so hoping all of them would make it. But hopefully you can still get something going.

Well it's been a little while and things are going good with my johnstoni. I replaced the male that died. I have been keeping them outside and they seem to like the temperatures here. My male bwindi who has the hole in his arm is doing fine. I packed his wound once with silvadene cream and have left him alone since. He is always very colorful. My male rwenzori is still a little subdued but does eat and seems to be doing good.

The females are pigs! Very active and big eaters. I moved my rwenzori female into the garage last week and set her cage up for laying which she did yesterday. She ate, drank, went down and laid, came back out shortly there after and ate and drank again looking great. Here are a few pictures.

Last edited:
They look great Craig!! What temps are you seeing outside right now that they are enjoying?

In addition, anything special you did for female to lay in? Just curious.

Thanks!!

They look great Craig!! What temps are you seeing outside right now that they are enjoying?

In addition, anything special you did for female to lay in? Just curious.

Thanks!!

Thanks Bobby,
They have been seeing temps in the 50-80 degree range.

I put some super soil in a good sized pot with a small plant in it. I hung a potho above the laying container so it hid it. I will try to take a picture of the set up and post it here.

I need to get some vermiculite this morning and dig up her eggs. I don't think there will be too many.

Last edited:
Well it's been a little while and things are going good with my johnstoni. I replaced the male that died. I have been keeping them outside and they seem to like the temperatures here. My male bwindi who has the hole in his arm is doing fine. I packed his wound once with silvadene cream and have left him alone since. He is always very colorful. My male rwenzori is still a little subdued but does eat and seems to be doing good.

The females are pigs! Very active and big eaters. I moved my bwindi female into the garage last week and set her cage up for laying which she did yesterday. She ate, drank, went down and laid, came back out shortly there after and ate and drank again looking great. Here are a few pictures.

Congrats with the eggs Craig!!:)
I'm glad that after a difficult start and some bad luck things are going great.
The colors your animals are showing are just... woooow ...
Its really great to see animals in such a splendid condition;)
I wish you all the success and many baby's soon:D

That female looks wonderful after laying. Having some fertile eggs should cheer you up. Seems right, today is Easter, so you have Easter eggs.:):) Big Congrats!! How long before they hatch?

That female looks wonderful after laying. Having some fertile eggs should cheer you up. Seems right, today is Easter, so you have Easter eggs.:):) Big Congrats!! How long before they hatch?

Thanks. That picture is actually a before picture.:) I haven't bothered her since she laid. I think Jurgen said around 100 days.

Thanks Jurgen. I'm excited to have eggs. The other female should lay soon too.

Congrats! How many did she lay? My female laid 8 last week and so far they are looking really good. Huge in size compared to panther eggs. She is doing well and eating like a pig. My male is getting more bold each day and reaches for me when I am cleaning the cage nearly every time. Both handfeed easily as well.

Congrats Craig, and Im glad that other male you got from me is doing well:) Your set ups are perfect and so is where you live! Having seen all your chams and set ups in person I know they are in great hands.
I have 14 eggs cooking now too so fingers crossed. They are very large eggs which shocked me. I also have 2 more males with me, a Bwindi and Ruwenzori, both are super healthy and fiesty! I love this species:D

Congrats! How many did she lay? My female laid 8 last week and so far they are looking really good. Huge in size compared to panther eggs. She is doing well and eating like a pig. My male is getting more bold each day and reaches for me when I am cleaning the cage nearly every time. Both handfeed easily as well.

She laid 10 eggs.

My Biwindi female laid 10 eggs. I had moved her inside after the other female laid her clutch. Today while feeding the female that had already laid who is now housed outside I noticed a partial tunnel in the laying bin I had provided in the outside cage. Apparently my Bwindi female had already laid before I moved her inside a week ago LOL.

These eggs look better. Bigger and more plump. I hope the other cluch is fertile as they didn't look this nice.

Just OUTSTANDING pictures:eek::eek:
That third picture of your male must be the most colorful(intense blue) male i ever have seen and i have seen a few hundreds:eek:
Others also look phenomenal!!!

Back
Top Bottom