New Jackson's Chameleon not eating! Thanks in advance!

She really needs a lot of real plants to hide in. That will help her feel more secure. I’ve only had my guy for about 3 weeks and the more plants I added the more secure he started acting.

She looks gravid to me. I'd try to give her privacy as much as possible. Is she drinking? Drinking more or less ?

She looks gravid to me. I'd try to give her privacy as much as possible. Is she drinking? Drinking more or less ?
She drinks about 4/10 when I water her. As far as I can tell she’s still moving as much as when we first got her! They warned us she may be pregnant. I’ve researched some, but I’m not 100% sure about that

Do you have a vet with reptile or chameleon experience in your area? if not we maybe able to find one for you just in case. If you give us your city and state we might be able to get you a recommendation. Otherwise there are links you can use to find one on your own.

Looking at her pictures she looks a bit thin despite the size of her belly. The top of her head is sunken and I'm seeing the bones of her pelvis. Females about to give birth may not eat for a few days at most and tend to spend their time in a vertical position. Try feeding some treat foods like superworms and do move her cup up near the mid to top branches and be sure that light isn't too strong. If that doesn't work consult a vet.
We can also go over the rest of your husbandry and look for other problems.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Do you have a vet with reptile or chameleon experience in your area? if not we maybe able to find one for you just in case. If you give us your city and state we might be able to get you a recommendation. Otherwise there are links you can use to find one on your own.

Looking at her pictures she looks a bit thin despite the size of her belly. The top of her head is sunken and I'm seeing the bones of her pelvis. Females about to give birth may not eat for a few days at most and tend to spend their time in a vertical position. Try feeding some treat foods like superworms and do move her cup up near the mid to top branches and be sure that light isn't too strong. If that doesn't work consult a vet.
We can also go over the rest of your husbandry and look for other problems.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I live in LaGrange, GA. I have looked and the closest ones seem to be about 45 minutes away.

*UPDATE*- She ate 3 small crickets this morning after I tried to free roam them on the leaves beside her. Also I am looking into getting a bigger cage with different types of plants to hang all over.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Female Jackson's Chameleon, the store said that she was about 4 months, so still juvenile.
  • Handling - She has not come out of her enclosure since we got her on June 30th
  • Feeding -We have tried hornworms, waxworms, and dubia roaches. The first time she has eaten was this morning (July 13th) and it was 3 crickets. We were putting 5 dubia roaches in a container, but it was on the lower end of the cage and I believe that may have been the reason she wasnt going after them. However, we were letting the hornworms (2) roam on the leaves and she did not even look at them.
  • Supplements -Dusting feeders with Exoterra Calcium. We have dusted all feeders we have tried to get her to eat. We have Calcium D3 also to dust every 2 weeks with, but due to her not eating we have not done that.
  • Watering - I hand mist twice a day with distilled water. Usually for about 5-10 minutes. Looking into getting a times mister for the mid day since everyone in the house is at work. I do see her drinking, not everytime I spray, but I feel like she drinks infront of us too often.
  • Fecal Description - Recent droppings have been solid, with a little red end on it and white. The seller said that he keeps them for a few months so they can be quarantined and tested for parasites before he sells them. I want to get her checked for them just in case as well.
  • History - From a semi-local seller, he said they are shipped straight from Africa, but other than that I don't know much about her past. She was in an enclosure with another chameleon when we arrived. He said "You're in luck. I didn't know I had two" Which made me nervous.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type -I have a mesh enclosure and have plexiglass leaning around two sides of it to help contain some moisture from the surrounding areas and hopefully hold in the humidity.
  • Lighting - Zilla 40W basking bulb, Linear 18in T8 UVB bulb. (I think it is too high from last nights comments). Lights on between 7-7:30 am. Lights out 7-7:30 pm.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is between 70-76F, I have not measured the cage floor temp. Lowest overnight is between 60-65F.I have a thermometer with a probe that sits right beside her basking area and check the temperature everytime I come in the room.
  • Humidity - The house always feels humid. ( I need to get the humidity under control for sure.) I have ordered a hygrometer and am waiting for it in the mail. I have the plexi glass around to hopefully hold more humidity in.
  • Plants - I have one live plant and two fake plants. The real plant is a Yucca.
  • Placement - Her cage is not near any fans or air vents. She is alone for about 10 out of the 12 hours her lights are on. Other than that we are sitting at our desks on the computers, still leaving her be. I have an L shapped desk and she is on the far end of mine.Top of the cage is relatively 5 feet off the ground.
  • Location - South west GA, USA

Current Problem - Since we have had her, she has not eaten and she is relatively skinny. I was looking for different feeding options other than what I have tried as well as if I should take her to vet since she has not eaten in two full weeks.

Now that she's eating a bit we can see what we can do to make her even happier.

• Your Chameleon - Female Jackson's Chameleon, the store said that she was about 4 months, so still juvenile.
  • Handling - She has not come out of her enclosure since we got her on June 30th Good
  • Feeding -We have tried hornworms, waxworms, and dubia roaches. The first time she has eaten was this morning (July 13th) and it was 3 crickets. We were putting 5 dubia roaches in a container, but it was on the lower end of the cage and I believe that may have been the reason she wasnt going after them. However, we were letting the hornworms (2) roam on the leaves and she did not even look at them. Look into getting small super worms. They are very good for testing hunger strikes. Don't feed more that a couple a week as they are like twinkies to theses guys. Keep going with the crickets for now and introduce the dubia and horns again later.
  • Supplements -Dusting feeders with Exoterra Calcium. We have dusted all feeders we have tried to get her to eat. We have Calcium D3 also to dust every 2 weeks with, but due to her not eating we have not done that. Once she gets eating just use the calcium every other day.
  • Watering - I hand mist twice a day with distilled water. Usually for about 5-10 minutes. Looking into getting a times mister for the mid day since everyone in the house is at work. I do see her drinking, not everytime I spray, but I feel like she drinks infront of us too often.
  • Fecal Description - Recent droppings have been solid, with a little red end on it and white. The seller said that he keeps them for a few months so they can be quarantined and tested for parasites before he sells them. I want to get her checked for them just in case as well. Good plan.
  • History - From a semi-local seller, he said they are shipped straight from Africa, but other than that I don't know much about her past. She was in an enclosure with another chameleon when we arrived. He said "You're in luck. I didn't know I had two" Which made me nervous. Makes me nervous too.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type -I have a mesh enclosure and have plexiglass leaning around two sides of it to help contain some moisture from the surrounding areas and hopefully hold in the humidity. Good
  • Lighting - Zilla 40W basking bulb, Linear 18in T8 UVB bulb. (I think it is too high from last nights comments). Lights on between 7-7:30 am. Lights out 7-7:30 pm. T8 does not put out as much UVB as a T5 would so over doing it is not the problem. T5 5.0 or 6% is ideal and should be the same length as the cage width.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is between 70-76F, I have not measured the cage floor temp. Lowest overnight is between 60-65F.I have a thermometer with a probe that sits right beside her basking area and check the temperature everytime I come in the room. Basking temp could be a little higher. For now I would shoot for 78 F and go to 82-3 when she is around a year. She doesn't need to bask all day long but should get a good session in in the morning and a couple short ones in the afternoon. You might want to try a slightly higher wattage.
  • Humidity - The house always feels humid. ( I need to get the humidity under control for sure.) I have ordered a hygrometer and am waiting for it in the mail. I have the plexi glass around to hopefully hold more humidity in. Daytime should be in the 40-50 range you want your higher humidity at night 80-100% when it is coolest.
  • Plants - I have one live plant and two fake plants. The real plant is a Yucca. The more real plants you can use the better. They manage the humidity better.
  • Placement - Her cage is not near any fans or air vents. She is alone for about 10 out of the 12 hours her lights are on. Other than that we are sitting at our desks on the computers, still leaving her be. I have an L shapped desk and she is on the far end of mine.Top of the cage is relatively 5 feet off the ground. All good

Current Problem - Since we have had her, she has not eaten and she is relatively skinny. I was looking for different feeding options other than what I have tried as well as if I should take her to vet since she has not eaten in two full weeks.

Now that she's eating a bit we can see what we can do to make her even happier.

• Handling - She has not come out of her enclosure since we got her on June 30th Good
  • Feeding -We have tried hornworms, waxworms, and dubia roaches. The first time she has eaten was this morning (July 13th) and it was 3 crickets. We were putting 5 dubia roaches in a container, but it was on the lower end of the cage and I believe that may have been the reason she wasnt going after them. However, we were letting the hornworms (2) roam on the leaves and she did not even look at them. Look into getting small super worms. They are very good for testing hunger strikes. Don't feed more that a couple a week as they are like twinkies to theses guys. Keep going with the crickets for now and introduce the dubia and horns again later.
  • Supplements -Dusting feeders with Exoterra Calcium. We have dusted all feeders we have tried to get her to eat. We have Calcium D3 also to dust every 2 weeks with, but due to her not eating we have not done that. Once she gets eating just use the calcium every other day.
  • Fecal Description - Recent droppings have been solid, with a little red end on it and white. The seller said that he keeps them for a few months so they can be quarantined and tested for parasites before he sells them. I want to get her checked for them just in case as well. Good plan.
  • History - From a semi-local seller, he said they are shipped straight from Africa, but other than that I don't know much about her past. She was in an enclosure with another chameleon when we arrived. He said "You're in luck. I didn't know I had two" Which made me nervous. Makes me nervous too.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type -I have a mesh enclosure and have plexiglass leaning around two sides of it to help contain some moisture from the surrounding areas and hopefully hold in the humidity. Good
  • Lighting - Zilla 40W basking bulb, Linear 18in T8 UVB bulb. (I think it is too high from last nights comments). Lights on between 7-7:30 am. Lights out 7-7:30 pm. T8 does not put out as much UVB as a T5 would so over doing it is not the problem. T5 5.0 or 6% is ideal and should be the same length as the cage width.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is between 70-76F, I have not measured the cage floor temp. Lowest overnight is between 60-65F.I have a thermometer with a probe that sits right beside her basking area and check the temperature everytime I come in the room. Basking temp could be a little higher. For now I would shoot for 78 F and go to 82-3 when she is around a year. She doesn't need to bask all day long but should get a good session in in the morning and a couple short ones in the afternoon. You might want to try a slightly higher wattage.
  • Humidity - The house always feels humid. ( I need to get the humidity under control for sure.) I have ordered a hygrometer and am waiting for it in the mail. I have the plexi glass around to hopefully hold more humidity in. Daytime should be in the 40-50 range you want your higher humidity at night 80-100% when it is coolest.
  • Plants - I have one live plant and two fake plants. The real plant is a Yucca. The more real plants you can use the better. They manage the humidity better.
  • Placement - Her cage is not near any fans or air vents. She is alone for about 10 out of the 12 hours her lights are on. Other than that we are sitting at our desks on the computers, still leaving her be. I have an L shapped desk and she is on the far end of mine.Top of the cage is relatively 5 feet off the ground. All good

Thank you for all of your help! I will post an update in her eating in about a week!

Back
Top Bottom