New Jackson's Chameleon not eating! Thanks in advance!

megerkyx

I got her about two weeks ago. They said she is juvenile but may also be pregnant. She has not eaten a thing for me. She still drinks water and moves around the cage all day. I mist her daily in the morning and at night for 5-10 minutes each.Lights are on for 12 hours a day. Then I offer her a few bugs until she starts to climb away from me after every mist. Food is always in the enclosure for now until I know she is eating. We have tried feeder cup, tongs and placing the bugs on the leaf in front of her.
Her enclosure:
-SIZE: 18x18x36"
- TEMP: Day time 75-80F Night 65-70F
-HUMIDITY: don't have hygrometer, but in GA its always above 80% outside.
-HEAT; 40W
-UVB; T10 Linear
-PLANTS; Yucca, artificial vines and leaves.

-FOOD TRIED: crickets, waxworms, dubia roaches and hornworms

IMG-1094.jpg

1.She gets this dark pattern when we are too close to the cage or when I try to feed her.

IMG-1112.jpg
2. This is when she is sleeping and when climbing around.

IMG-1069.jpg
3. This is her color when she is basking. (kinda freaks me out that she gets that dark lol)

-UVB; T10 Linear
Do you mean T5 10.0 UVB? that is a too high for her species. You can either get a 5.0 bulb or wrap the 10.0 bulb with aluminum window screen to reduce the output or raise it up off the top of the cage several inches.
I'm concerned that she hasn't eaten after two weeks. Is it possible that she eats when you aren't on the room?

I have a male Jackson’s and he gets dark to when he basks. It’s just them trying to absorb the heat. That second picture where she’s sleeping, is that during the day or did you just have lights on to get the picture?

Do you mean T5 10.0 UVB? that is a too high for her species. You can either get a 5.0 bulb or wrap the 10.0 bulb with aluminum window screen to reduce the output or raise it up off the top of the cage several inches.
I'm concerned that she hasn't eaten after two weeks. Is it possible that she eats when you aren't on the room?
I will look at the light in the morning to make sure it is the one that she actually needs, if not I will go get a new one. We typically count the amount of bugs we put in the feeder cup and it never goes down. There is a chance she could be eating gnats, but that is not nearly enough to fill her up for sure. I have a camera on her and check her regularly through the day. She moves a lot, but as far as I know she has not eaten and it's worrying me bad

I have a male Jackson’s and he gets dark to when he basks. It’s just them trying to absorb the heat. That second picture where she’s sleeping, is that during the day or did you just have lights on to get the picture?
That was today about 6:50pm EST and I turn her lights out at 7:00pm EST. She has not slept during the day since we got her

Ok good! the only other thing I see is you said she’s in an 18x18x36 cage. That’s really too small. The smallest cage recommended is 24x24x48. As far as her feeding, have you tried small crickets or small roaches? My guy shies away from bigger bugs like full grown crickets and he won’t even try a hornworm!

Chameleons will stop eating for a variety of reasons ranging from completely minor to more major problems. Not eating for a week or so is usually nothing to worry about but beyond that may require further medical intervention from a vet.

Another thing, do you have lots of plants in her enclosure like leafy plants? Some are shy when they eat and need to feel secure. Don’t watch her, just do like you did by counting what you put in her feeding cup and then leave her be. Check the cup in the late afternoon and see if she’s eaten. Make sure you offer her food early in the morning so she has plenty of time to bask and digest her food.

Try and free range the food as this will give your chameleon the opportunity to hunt it down. New food that requires activity is usually enough to work up an appetite.

Ok good! the only other thing I see is you said she’s in an 18x18x36 cage. That’s really too small. The smallest cage recommended is 24x24x48. As far as her feeding, have you tried small crickets or small roaches? My guy shies away from bigger bugs like full grown crickets and he won’t even try a hornworm!
I am going to look at getting a bigger cage and see if that may help. She is typically in the room alone for 9 hours and is only with us for about two before she goes to sleep. I just got the crickets saturday, should I let them roam in the cage or in a feeder? I believe it may be too low for her to want to get them in the feeder so I have thought about mounting it by her branch. We are only trying the small bugs for now. She doesnt even look at them when I try to cup feed her on her branch.

Do you run an air conditioner? If so this will dry the air out and the humidity goes down so she needs humidity more at night. Do you have an auto mister? You also really need a hygrometer and they’re not that expensive.

Try and free range the food as this will give your chameleon the opportunity to hunt it down. New food that requires activity is usually enough to work up an appetite.
I am going to try that tomorrow!! When she gets up, I will put a few free roam crickets in

Once they stop eating, they often decline simply because they've stopped eating. Get some small crickets and let them loose in the cage. Make sure there is lots of cover for him to hide in so he feels safe. They won't eat under stress, so not eating can be a sign of stress.

You can free range then in the enclosure but make sure to take any uneaten bugs out at night so they don’t nibble on her. I use a bird cup to feed my guy and I hang it in the same branch every time and if he’s hungry he goes and eats.

Once they stop eating, they often decline simply because they've stopped eating. Get some small crickets and let them loose in the cage. Make sure there is lots of cover for him to hide in so he feels safe. They won't eat under stress, so not eating can be a sign of stress.
I mean her not he :ROFLMAO:

Do you run an air conditioner? If so this will dry the air out and the humidity goes down so she needs humidity more at night. Do you have an auto mister? You also really need a hygrometer and they’re not that expensive.
I typically do for maybe 2 hours in the afternoon, but nothing more. Can you recommend an auto mister? I have been looking at them, but not sure which one to get! Hygrometer is being ordered now

Everyone says the mist king is the best and I just set mine up and I have to agree! It’s awesome. Jackson’s need the humidity at night when it’s cooler. I just set mine to run 3 times at night and it’s great! It has a timer and you can set the time when you want it to mist and how long.

I put my plants on top of upside down pots because I couldn’t find any tall plants. theres Some good ideas in another thread going right now under the “enclosures and supplies” forum. You should check out some of their ideas on hanging plants in the cage

I put my plants on top of upside down pots because I couldn’t find any tall plants. theres Some good ideas in another thread going right now under the “enclosures and supplies” forum. You should check out some of their ideas on hanging plants in the cage
thats a great idea!! Definitely going to try the upside down pot idea. I am going to look over there now as well!

Back
Top Bottom