New Jackson

davidsbaby

Aloha,
We just bought a new Jackson and he is very young but healthy, he has his mouth open a lot and is cruising his habitat. He seems very happy, drinking from the drip irrigation system and moving around a lot. We feed him for the first time tomorrow. Do we need to dust the crickets with vitamins. Btw we live in Hawaii in no air conditioning so we are confident the temp is right. Any other sug. to care and feeding?

Mahalo,
Beth

Usually if they have their mouth open a lot they are too hot. I don't know much about Jacksons so I will let someone else comment on vitamins and calcium. I think they don't need as much as veileds and panthers and such.

jacksons live in colder enviorments. (thats why they do live bearing birth because where they live is to cold to lay the eggs, so they keep them inside themselves till there redy to hatch). basking spot for a jackson should be no more then 80-82. with an ambiant temp of 70-75. they also require a higher humidity around the 70%.

You're also not supposed to dust their feeders the same way you do with veileds and panthers. Someone with a jackson needs to comment on the dusting because that's all I can say as far as that goes.

An open mouth can also be a sign of an Upper Respiratory Infection. If he's making any kind of sound while he's breathing, he most likely has one. Don't regularly dust with vitamins, but if you're feeding crickets do dust them with calcium (without D3). Some Jackson owners don't use vitamins at all, because jackson's are more sensitive to high levels of vitamins. But if you decide to, you can find info on the forums, but either way it's not everyday. It's just much more important to gut load your feeders. Crickets will eat just about anything, so put in fruits, vegetables, and greens(no spinach, lettuce, or cabbage as they are bad for your jackson). Are you keeping him outside?

Jacksons live happily in the wild in Hawaii, so it should be a good environment.

However, as noted, open mouth is often a sign of needing to cool down, so maybe you need to move your basking light back some?

There is a poster here who has Jacksons and has a load of knowledge. I can't remember her handle at the moment, but I'm sure she'll see this and provide a load of valuable information.

Jacksons live happily in the wild in Hawaii, so it should be a good environment.

However, as noted, open mouth is often a sign of needing to cool down, so maybe you need to move your basking light back some?

There is a poster here who has Jacksons and has a load of knowledge. I can't remember her handle at the moment, but I'm sure she'll see this and provide a load of valuable information.

An excellent keeper of Jacksons is xanthoman.

you may live in hawaii but dont assume that because of that, the care of a jacksons is a shoe in (especially if its a wc). most free roaming hawaiin xanths are found at upper elevations in the cooler more humid areas. definitely a difference from somebodies living room. plus, you didnt really state whether it was to be kept mostly inside or out and what your lighting (or feeding) plan was, as these things would effect it supplementation requirements. even in hawaii, if you wish to keep your xanth healthy long term, you will need to educate yourself on all aspects of its care, and in order for forum members to offer any real contribution, it would be to your advantage to fill out the help form in its entirety, as all aspects of their care (including which suppplements/vitamins to use and how often) are interelated. there is no simple answer to your vitamin question without more specific info. things to bear in mind with xanths, they are subject to over heating, and over supplementation. one advantage to being in hawaii, is if it doesnt do well you can just release it or flush it and go get another one for $5

Last edited:
How young is young? Open mouth does sound like overheating, they are a naturally cooler climate species. Best thing to feed is good gut-loaded feeders. If you have good feeders, vits can be occasional, evey other week or two. UVB, Ca2+/D3, need to monitored more carefully. As xanthoman indicates, they seem to be a bit sensitive to supplementation. As a general rule, I dust with straight Ca2+ at each feeding, Ca2+/D3 and vits once to every other week -- gut load feeders for prime condition, and natural/unfiltered sun as I can allow for my area -- I live in N. Utah, not as environ friendly as Hawaii, but again as xantho remarks, WC and elevation is pretty key.

Both my Jackson's are adults so care could be alot diff for "young'uns".

And as for gut loads, I don't feed them anything I wouldn't feed my beardie or BTS with the exception of oranges.

Get to know xanthoman, I pick his brains shamelessly.:)

you may live in hawaii but dont assume that because of that, the care of a jacksons is a shoe in (especially if its a wc). most free roaming hawaiin xanths are found at upper elevations in the cooler more humid areas. definitely a difference from somebodies living room. plus, you didnt really state whether it was to be kept mostly inside or out and what your lighting (or feeding) plan was, as these things would effect it supplementation requirements. even in hawaii, if you wish to keep your xanth healthy long term, you will need to educate yourself on all aspects of its care, and in order for forum members to offer any real contribution, it would be to your advantage to fill out the help form in its entirety, as all aspects of their care (including which suppplements/vitamins to use and how often) are interelated. there is no simple answer to your vitamin question without more specific info. things to bear in mind with xanths, they are subject to over heating, and over supplementation. one advantage to being in hawaii, is if it doesnt do well you can just release it or flush it and go get another one for $5

Honorable Xanthoman,
Thank you for you kind words of wisdom and time, I am indeed humbled and put in my noob place. You have shown me the err of my ways and made me realize my inbred son is doomed in my breezy highrise. On your advice, I have flushed my young boy. Additionally, today I will be quiting my job at the pet store. I will not insult you any more until I complete my form in its omneity and return from my chamaeleo jacksonii xantholophus pilgramige to Tanzania. Although I have seen the great xantho in the wild not a mile from my commorancy, I feel I must seek the roots of the species. From your wisdom, I am sure you have also seen many in the wild, but I none from their native land. btw - my friend's store would love to know where to aquire the sacred one for $5 - can you share your source?
humbled in your presence,
Elizabeth

hey if you need some help with you jacks i live in hawaii, wahiawa not the ghetto area i live right on lake wilson. so if you need any plants,branches, or vines just pm me :D i also own a male jackson but im hoping for to get a female of my own soon.

hey if you need some help with you jacks i live in hawaii, wahiawa not the ghetto area i live right on lake wilson. so if you need any plants,branches, or vines just pm me :D i also own a male jackson but im hoping for to get a female of my own soon.

Petland in Kahala had a new batch a couple weeks ago, only a few left but had a couple gals there last weekend. They usually have new ones in at least once a month twenty bones. There is a breeder on the way to your neighborhood in Waipahu if I rem correctly??? Looking to have some kids are you?
Koshi

An open mouth can also be a sign of an Upper Respiratory Infection. If he's making any kind of sound while he's breathing, he most likely has one. Don't regularly dust with vitamins, but if you're feeding crickets do dust them with calcium (without D3). Some Jackson owners don't use vitamins at all, because jackson's are more sensitive to high levels of vitamins. But if you decide to, you can find info on the forums, but either way it's not everyday. It's just much more important to gut load your feeders. Crickets will eat just about anything, so put in fruits, vegetables, and greens(no spinach, lettuce, or cabbage as they are bad for your jackson). Are you keeping him outside?

I have never heard that lettuce is bad for a Jackson's. Where did you get this information? I would like to know because I own a Jackson's, and feed his crickets lettuce pretty regularly. :confused:

Open mouth

He is opening his mouth when he watches the water dripping and sometimes when he sees us and when I put food in even if he chooses to wait a little bit to eat. No sound and he is cruising his habitat, doesn't sit for too long and is a beautiful green. He hasn't been outside yet but am going to put him on lanai this weekend for awhile so I can watch him to see what he prefers. I am going to concentrate on gut loading and vary his diet with other insects and dust crickets with calcium without D3. Thank you for your help.

Aloha,
Here is the form, any friendly, helpful suggestions would be appreciated as I am a very caring Jackson owner who wants to give him the best care possible, hence, being on the forum and doing weeks of research before purchase. Thank you!:)

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon – captive bred Jackson Xantho
Handling – only when necessary, weekly
Feeding – crickets 2-3 per day, flies, moths, roaches, katydids as can be caught. Gutloading crickets with veggies, oats and Gutload Cricket Drink
Supplements – none yet
Watering – Drip over hanging plant can see drinking every day. Does not like to be misted.
Fecal Description – pretty much daily, browns and whites, never tested for parasites
History – purchased in March 2010 as small young male with horns less than ½ inch long.

Cage Info:

Cage Type – Screen cage 24” w x 16” d x 30” h
Lighting – Reptilight 5 20” tube. Perch within 6” of light. Weekend sunning on the lanai year round.
Temperature – 70-80 degrees avg. +5-10 in the summer -5-10 in the winter.
Humidity – 55-85% house windows open all year, no heat or a/c.
Plants – have a couple pothos in cage
Placement – large breezy room in highrise, med traffic area, cage bottom at 5’ off floor
Location – Honolulu, Hawaii

Current Problem – Not really a problem just wanted to make sure that his mouth open when watching water, food and sometimes me, is normal. He cruises his habitat all day, not sitting still for very long and is a beautiful green.

I believe the reference is to iceberg lettuce which has little to no nutrional value, only water, so it is really not a good gut load.

I have never heard that lettuce is bad for a Jackson's. Where did you get this information? I would like to know because I own a Jackson's, and feed his crickets lettuce pretty regularly. :confused:

Yeah, I had the same confusion honestly. I've read that spinach can cause digestion problems, and I've seen spinach, lettuce, and cabbage listed together before. (I don't know why though) Now, I just try not to feed the crickets lettuce. I've read it in a couple places, here is one. However, this is from 1997, maybe outdated.. Anyone know anything?

http://www.skypoint.com/members/mikefry/jacksons.pdf

(under the title Feeding, or just search 'lettuce')

I am just going to avoid lettuce. I had a few iguanas before, and it was not good to feed them iceberg. But i want to be safe, so no more lettuce for me!

I am just going to avoid lettuce. I had a few iguanas before, and it was not good to feed them iceberg. But i want to be safe, so no more lettuce for me!

I've been using parsley lately, of course not as much water content as lettuce, but I include a water source for the crickets. What else do you feed your crickets?

Back
Top Bottom