New Jackson too skinny??

bri1216

I just rescued this guy (Reptar) from a home where he was being vastly neglected. I live in Hawaii where he has natural humidity and temperatures and everything needed but he does have a light on him in the evening. My question is is he too skinny? He eats about 3 crickets a day and he doesn't eat the mealworms I have tried to give him? He drinks from a bowl and from me misting into his mouth(which i know is weird). He has a screened cage and lots of live plants and branches to climb on. I have no idea how old he is but he does seem to like sitting on my shoulder. But he looks so skinny? Does he look healthy or sickly to any of you? Does he look hydrated?

555240_2052553230642_1049761280_n.jpg

1016408_2052553630652_113313547_n.jpg

I think he looks fine. If he was neglected, he could not have been been too badly! He does not look too skinny nor dehydrated at all.

I have had him for about a week and have been spoiling him rotten! I have done all of the research but it is still scary being a new owner :)

I do not own Jackson's but have seen plenty of them on here over the years. He looks healthy to me from the pics you posted. Most do not drink out of bowls, but a friend of my daughter's has one and he drinks out of a bowl also. they do not need any lights at night. I am not sure if I misunderstood your post about the light.

No, I was just saying that he doesn't need a light in the day because of the heat and humidity already in Hawaii. but I will take the light off of him at night.

also does anyone know how old does he look? His horns are quite long.... and in the first picture he is on a zucchini plant leaf

I have a female jacksons that I got about a month ago! I'm a new Cham owner too and I have to say every question I've had about her has been answered on this site so if you have a question about anything feel free to ask anyone and get some of the best advice around :) would say he looks really healthy and hydrated he is probably happy to have a good new owner! Follow the ares nets on here and you will be fine.

very cute little guy :) the only thing I see - and it could just be the lighting or camera- but it looks like he has old shed on him here, and there - the "brownish" coloring - see in the first pic, how he has bright green in the elbow area, but then a band of brownish - but now in you great care ;) I bet that will fall away - just be sure his little toes, arms and tail are not constricted by old shed -its best not to pick it off , but if there is a spot of constricton, a good long mist will make it soft,and it should break free :) other than that- he is a handsome looking little guy , glad you saved him :D

very cute little guy :) the only thing I see - and it could just be the lighting or camera- but it looks like he has old shed on him here, and there - the "brownish" coloring - see in the first pic, how he has bright green in the elbow area, but then a band of brownish - but now in you great care ;) I bet that will fall away - just be sure his little toes, arms and tail are not constricted by old shed -its best not to pick it off , but if there is a spot of constricton, a good long mist will make it soft,and it should break free :) other than that- he is a handsome looking little guy , glad you saved him :D

I saw that too and was thinking maybe it was a fungal infection but i couldn't tell, it was kinda blurry. But you know more about xanths than me so i'll leave it to you. Im still learning on jacksons, Oustalets are my thing.

it looks more like a shed/old dead skin. I also read that feeding the crickets fish food was a good thing to do. And I ordered the calcium dust online (no food/pet store on my island has it)

i am concerned about the same thing with my Jackson chameleon, because she was very neglected. But someone told me she looks sick and i need to get her looked at. But after seeing this i dont know what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1119132006.jpg
    1119132006.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 1119132047.jpg
    1119132047.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 95
DLG your girl does look skinny and sickly. Don't know if the sickly part is because of the skinny part. A vet visit wouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom