New jackson chameleon parent here

Vinny115

We just purchased from petco and have been reading up on proper care. I am worried because he doesnot seem interested in eating. The crickets or the worms. We just got him saturday night so its only been a few days. Adjusting i am hoping. I am misting twice a day. Should the heat lamp be on all the time?

Attachments

• 20210117_190702.jpg
    20210117_190702.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 58
We just purchased from petco and have been reading up on proper care. I am worried because he doesnot seem interested in eating. The crickets or the worms. We just got him saturday night so its only been a few days. Adjusting i am hoping. I am misting twice a day. Should the heat lamp be on all the time?
[/QUOTE

please fill out the husbandry form:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

In the mean time, check out the following sites:

https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

https://www.kaizenchameleons.com/about-3

And hit up @JacksJill

Hi and welcome a husbandry form can be found in the health section under how to ask for help just copy and paste and fill out your own answers this will help the members on here to see how best to help answer any questions you have. 😀

Here you go! Make sure to fill it in with as much detail as possible, and make sure to attach pics of your chameleon, the full cage, and the lights

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I dont understand what you are saying ? I am new to this
Essentially, the word husbandry means the care that you provide your animal. In other words, what is your cage set up? What are your temps, humidity, etc. Filling out the form that @ERKleRose provided above will let us know if you need to change up your "husbandry" or care. This is called a husbandry form.

When I first got into this hobby, I thought the word husbandry meant marriage or something...

WELCOME to the hobby! Let us know if you have any more questions. You'll find that most people here are pretty friendly.

Based solely on the pic that you sent. It looks like you need to add more branches so he can utilize the full area of the cage. If not, your cham may start to climb the screen which could potentially rip out his nails.

Also, we strongly recommend that you put in live plants that your cham can hide behind. Schleffera or ficus plants/trees are good. If he doesn't have any place to hide, especially during this period of adjustment, your cham will stress out--which is terrible for his long term health. Also plants help keep the humidity in.

There are other recommendations that we can offer once you fill out the husbandry form. Congrats again on your new buddy!

If no one said this already lights should only be on 12 hours a day. You probably won't need a basking bulb on but a few hours on and off through the day. It depends on the warmth of your house.
They may not eat at first until they settle in. They have probably had too much D3 at Petco so wait a month to give anymore.

Back
Top Bottom