New Jackson Chameleon Owner

SpartyTessy

Hi Everyone. I wanted to introduce myself onto this great and very knowledgeable forums. I am a proud father of two Jackson Chameleons. One male(Sparty) and one female(Tessy). I created my name on the forum before I fully decided on their names(Mods please change my username to SpartyTessy) :D

I have had them both for about 2 months now. I am a first time owner but have owned other exotic reptiles in the past to include a burmese python, a Green Anaconda, many skinks and Bull snakes. I am definately a long time reptile lover since I was about 7 years old. I even got bit by a wild rattle snake once but that story is for another discussion :eek:

I believe both Chams are about 12 months old but I am honestly not entirely sure and maybe some of you can help guess their age. I purchased Sparty from Craigslist locally here in Hawaii(Oahu) for $15. The previous owner had him and another male of same size stuck in a small screen cage that measured 12"x18"x18". It seems that he just let the crickets free roam the cage that had barely a branch and a couple fake leaves for the guys. The poor guy was depressed and he was kind of skinny and for the first 2 days I had him he would close his eyes throughout the day and just lay there. My first instinct was he was extremely dehydrated so for the first few days I would softly spray filtered water into his mouth a few times a day and he would gladly accept it drinking for 15 minutes straight or longer. He would also just eat one cricket a day and would show no interest in anymore. After about 3 days he really livened up and started free roaming his new 2x2x4 enclosure keeping his eyes opened all day showing he was much happier. He also started eating more crickets usually about 2-3 a day. He now gladly eats 3-4 crickets a day sometimes more. He is always showing his bright green and yellow colors and has fattened up looking really healthy. I was really worried if he would even make it the first few days I had him but he has made a complete 100% turn around. It seems he was malnourished and dehydrated. At least he was kept outside in his cage and being here in Hawaii that is not a bad thing as at least he got plenty of UVB as that would of been a huge concern in addition to his other issues.

I got Tessy a few days after I got Sparty at a local pet store for $20. I was there with my Fiancee picking up supplies for Sparty. As I walked by Tessy in the store she was sitting there in her glass aquarium following me around with her eyes and trying to move towards me and was bright green. We just could not resist so we bought her. It was then time for "double supply" time which the wallet never likes :D She was much healthier and good to go unlike Sparty was. She is for sure an eater and will easily eat 7-9 crickets a day.

Today this is my first post but I have been lurking around for the last couple months getting as much knowledge as I possibly can so I can give Sparty and Tessy the best life possible. Thank you everyone for making it easier for new owners like me to make the best decisions for these wonderful chams. I really cannot thank you enough.

Here is the current setup I have for Tessy and Sparty. They each have their own cage that is outside but under protection from direct sun.

I have 2xZoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches
2xZoo Med Reptisun Terrarium Hood: : 20" Fixture
2xZoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Bulb: : 18" Bulb - 15 Watt T8
2xZoo Med Reptile Basking Spot Lamp 25 Watts(I know after the fact any house bulb will work)
2xZoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture
2xExo Terra Jungle Vine Large
2xHagen Exo Terra Plastic Terrarium Plant
2xFluker's Repta Vines-Pothos
MistKing Value Misting System w/4 nozzles, 2 Screen Top Wedges so each cage gets 2 nozzles(Thank you MistKing, it is nothing short of amazing)
Rep-Cal Herptivite Vitamin Supplement 3.2oz(Give to them once a month)
Rep-Cal Calcium - w D3 (Give to them once a month)
Rep-Cal Calcium - Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free(Give to them about 2 times a week)
5lb-Cricket Crack Bag(Thank you TikiTiki Reptiles, the crickets absolutely love it)
DinoFuel(Thank you Tom, the crickets absolutely love it also)
Cricket Water jel with calcium
2xZoo Med Big Dripper
I am still waiting on my two R'Zilla 11577 Terrarium Hygrometer Digital Thermometer from Amazon. Gosh they ship slow especially when you live in Hawaii and choose the free shipping method :rolleyes:

I have the lights on from 6:00am to 6:00pm on a Zoo Med Controller Timer. I have the MistKing mist 4 times spread out throughout the day for 5 minutes at a time. They both seem to really love the mistings and I notice it gets them interested in drinking. At first I would have it mist just 45 seconds at a time but then read that montane species do better when the mistings are for longer periods. The Drippers drip all day during lights on. Each cage has an Areca Palm, and a schefflera plant for live plants to go along with many sticks, fake vines and leaves for them to climb on throughout the cage. I have taken some pictures but they are on my computer at home and when I get a chance I will post them on here of them and their setup. Again I cannot thank this community enough for all of the help you have been.

Here are a few pics of them taken from a phone so the quality isnt the best. They were not very happy with me taking the pics hence the darker colors they are showing ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 110
a few more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 124
Does she look pregnant to you? The reason I ask is because the few times I put them together(when cleaning cages) she turns completely black and rocks back and forth. When he tries to get close to her she pushes him away. I do not put them together but maybe 3 times for about 15 minutes. The cages are right next together but I put a towel in between the two cages so they cannot see each other or else she turns black even if she can see him.

Also I have noticed she has gotten thicker but I am not sure if that is because the pet store under fed her. What are your opinions?

Oh and thank you very much to the person on this forum who came up with the "Sunny D Death Trap" Idea. I do not remember who it was but a definite ingenious idea as it works great. They both will go over to it and have a feast and works really good especially when I cannot be home due to work to feed them as often as I would like.

Is there an original post to the sunny d death trap. Its a stationary feeder right? What is the material youve applied in the inside

Back
Top Bottom