New home

Ive heard of veiled chameleons not have a mellow attitude. Especially when you try to take them out of the cage to handle them. Ive watched a few videos on them and i learned that they have quite the attitude lol
It totally depends on the Cham. Mine thinks he is a puppy and is a total love. Others are quite grumpy. LOL

Read through all my feedback and let us know if you have questions. Congrats on your baby and welcome to the forum. Using the search function on the forum is great to learn and find out info as well.

Definitely take a look at the graphics @Beman posted. I wish they wouldn’t sell those kits.

You’re going to want to upgrade his lighting, t5ho 10% or 12% ASAP. Light is the most natural and safe form of uvb for them. In addition you will want to add a multivitamin 2x a month. Use one with preformed vit A, not beta carotene. I use reptivite with D3. The calcium in the kit (no D3) is good for daily use. They should be fed only in the morning, as they need to bask to digest.

You’re also going to need a larger cage as he grows. You’re also going to want to add a LOT more foliage than what comes in that kit. Safe live plants are preferable, IMO, if you can get them.

Definitely stick around and ask questions, these guys can be sensitive and there is a lot of bad info out there, but they can also be super cool and rewarding. Making him feel secure (more foliage) and getting him the proper uvb, plus some time to settle in and he should eat for you. As for cage aggression, they aren’t cuddly animals. Some are never going to be happy to see you. Some get better if you move slowly and hand feed their favorites. They’re all individuals, but don’t count on having a friendly veiled or “taming” him. They are what they are!

Also, does he have little spurs on his back feet? Hard to tell from the pic. If not, he may be a she.

Edit: in a slow typist, so I accidentally repeated a lot of what Beman said! Whoops :)

Thank you so much for you help, can i get those light fixtures for him from like amazon or something? Im all really new to this, my mom had a bearded dragon when i was younger, i also moved up his bowl closer to him to see if that helps

Definitely take a look at the graphics @Beman posted. I wish they wouldn’t sell those kits.

You’re going to want to upgrade his lighting, t5ho 10% or 12% ASAP. Light is the most natural and safe form of uvb for them. In addition you will want to add a multivitamin 2x a month. Use one with preformed vit A, not beta carotene. I use reptivite with D3. The calcium in the kit (no D3) is good for daily use. They should be fed only in the morning, as they need to bask to digest.

You’re also going to need a larger cage as he grows. You’re also going to want to add a LOT more foliage than what comes in that kit. Safe live plants are preferable, IMO, if you can get them.

Definitely stick around and ask questions, these guys can be sensitive and there is a lot of bad info out there, but they can also be super cool and rewarding. Making him feel secure (more foliage) and getting him the proper uvb, plus some time to settle in and he should eat for you. As for cage aggression, they aren’t cuddly animals. Some are never going to be happy to see you. Some get better if you move slowly and hand feed their favorites. They’re all individuals, but don’t count on having a friendly veiled or “taming” him. They are what they are!

Also, does he have little spurs on his back feet? Hard to tell from the pic. If not, he may be a she.

Edit: in a slow typist, so I accidentally repeated a lot of what Beman said! Whoops :)

What is IMO? And is the 10% or 12% the type of bulb i need to get him along with the t5ho?

What is IMO? And is the 10% or 12% the type of bulb i need to get him along with the t5ho?

IMO is in my opinion

The 10% or 12% refers to the strength. I prefer the Acadia 12%, they are cheaper and last longer. The t5ho is the bulb size. High output, and the bulb is 5/8th if an inch around (as opposed to the t8s which are 1 inch). You will also need a measurement for the length. I’d recommend a 22” bulb which goes in a 24” fixture. So all together a 22” 12% t5ho bulb. I ordered from Pangea. Light your reptiles is also good.

Are these what i need to get for his lighting issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-143226_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-143226_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20190301-143154_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-143154_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 69
When you see percent it is referring to 10.0 or a 12% arcadia brand bulb which you can get through light yourreptiles.com. He has great fixtures as well. I have a quad unit with 1 12% uvb bulb, 2 daylight bulbs, and 1 plant pro bulbs. They are well worth the money and the arcadia brand uvb bulbs last about a year.

I don't know if @Kiraral mentioned it but you should think about an automatic misting system as well like the mistking starter set up. They are great if you have to be gone and sometimes chams can be shy about cleaning their eyes or drinking with you standing right there.

Also consider investing in a misting / watering system a mistking system or a mosoon system are great choices

alwsys happy to help :)

I can definitely attest to the value of a good misting system. I bit the bullet and bought a mist king and it was worth every penny.

This is what we were told to buy at the pet store
Not blaming you for this. Large pet stores and their poor advice is the problem. They just want to sell and if it's the bare minimum, they don't care.

Unfortunately, their 'advice' is generally horse shit. People of course, by nature, expect them to know what they are talking about (quite right too). Often staff are told what they must sell, rather than what's right for the species.

This may cost you in $, but, for the sake of your little guy/gal, please take on board what's being said, especially on UVB, temperatures etc.

Also try moving the feeding cup up to the basking level he may be more comfortable eating if he is not having to travel quite so much. You will need a ton more horizontal vines. These are great and you can use tiny zip ties to attach them to the screen https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Jungle-Vine-Large/dp/B003PAY0B2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1JEODDEFHYOLZ&keywords=jungle+vines+for+reptiles&qid=1551465585&s=gateway&sprefix=jungle+vines+,aps,208&sr=8-5
I was going to suggest the same thing. Move the cup up high but not under his basking spot. Since he is more comfortable at a higher level, he may wonder over and try the feeders as long as they are not too big. And yes, do not feed meal worms. You may also want to get the small dubia roaches as those are one of the best staple feeders for nutrition. Refer to BEEMANS images of lists as these are the best resource tools out there to help you. Good luck with your baby! Congratulations!

I agree with the Arcadia lighting suggestion and definitely consider the MistKing automatic misting system, it's amazing and makes hydration so much easier, it's worth every dime.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom