New Home, Hasn't Eaten yet? Advice

Gunny

I have a Veiled chameleon. Not sure how old he is but I think he's between 6 months to a year old. I brought him home two days ago, and I haven't notice a reduction in the number in crickets in his cage. I'm scared that he might not be eating at all, I'm looking for what ever advice available. I have pictures for anyone to see, I have no idea how to post them on here yet so please bare with me, I'm an experienced reptile hobbiest but new to chameleons and I'm very excited.

Attachments

• pascal.jpg
    pascal.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 105
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Give him time to acclimate to his new surroundings.
That includes no handling.
It's very normal. He is in a new environment and may not feel comfortable eating with potential predators lurking.
I wouldn't overwhelm him with a bunch of crickets running around either.
Give him a few days to adjust with nothing in the cage.
He will be eating right out of your hand.

Gunny, I know it takes time to fill out that form but you should just so we can check everything in your set up and make sure it is right. Most likely it is your cham just settling in to his new environment. Also you may want to try some variety in his feeders besides crickets. Superworms, hornworms, silkworms, are some good feeders.

It's also important not to stand close to the cage and stare at him for long periods of time just yet. Cham's can sense your presence, they notice that you are watching them, and you are definitely considered a predator at this point. Just give your guy some time, like everyone has already said, it's normal for them not to eat for the first couple days.:)

Answers

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? chameleo caliptratus, male, 4-8 months. 4 days.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? once a day for 10 - 20 minutes

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? small/ medium crickets. 4-8. every other day. cricket food.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repto-cal calcium. 2 times a week

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? vigourous misting, every other day, 5-7 minutes, not immediatly.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? n/a. yes

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. captive bred, partially aggressive

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 18x19x36in

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? zoomed uvb and heat bulb. 8 hrs a day a minimum of heat and uvb. then natural sunlight rest of day. for night a blacked out heat bulb.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75 degrees to 95 degrees. 75 degrees. Thermometer.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40 to 60 for humidity, vigirous misting and room humidifier, and hydrometer.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? yes, schefflera arboricola

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? inside bedroom. low traffic, fan in room, no air vent. top of cage is 6ft from floor.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Mountains of Glendale, California

I would hold off on the handleing for a while. Holding him every day this early is a little much for him to deal with. Let him learn you. Also they need water daily 2 to 3 times a day at least. Why do you only offer water every other day? Have you considered a MistKing? It makes life a lot eaiser.

Back
Top Bottom