New here!!

BeccaC

Hello all. I am new to owning a chameleon. I have a baby veiled. I was curious, about the same time every night when holding him, he lays down on my finger completely green. Does this mean he is relaxed and comfortable?

welcome to the forums, now is a good time to tell you that chameleons should not be held unless they want it, they can stress extremely easy and maybe him lying down is a sigh that its time to turn the lights off and go to sleep

He had been hand feeding with me. Didn’t seem to be upset. Just didn’t know if anyone else’s cham sleeps while being held.

If my chameleon Stark, decides he wants to come out and it is close to the time the lights turn off and the house is darker, he will sometimes go to sleep. If he does I usually just put him back before he gets too comfortable:LOL:

no mine doesn't aand usually they shouldn't be sleeping while you handle them I'm almost completely sure unless its darker

If my chameleon Stark, decides he wants to come out and it is close to the time the lights turn off and the house is darker, he will sometimes go to sleep. If he does I usually just put him back before he gets too comfortable:LOL:
Yes. I have mine set on a timer. Once I see him starting to get comfortable and nodding off, I take him back to his cage.

I agree!! He looks so peaceful and happy. So I was just curious how other chameleons do with their owners. He’s warmed up really quick. Even with hand feedings. Kinda just in awe of how quick he has warmed up to me.

Keep an eye on that... Could be a stress response or illness. If you find him sleeping during the day with lights on there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I wouldn't handle the chameleon unless he willingly walks onto your hand. You will need to slowly work with him on building trust and handling on his terms. Veileds can get very defensive and territorial as they get older.

I agree!! He looks so peaceful and happy. So I was just curious how other chameleons do with their owners. He’s warmed up really quick. Even with hand feedings. Kinda just in awe of how quick he has warmed up to me.

I'm sorry to say, but it is definitely a combination of stress and being away from the basking spot. If your chameleon falls asleep on you while you are handling them, it is not a good thing. Even though it may look cute to you. Since it is a baby and it's new, you really shouldn't be handling it much at all. Give him a chance to settle in.

Back
Top Bottom