New here :)

Clanci

Hi all my name is Charlie I've been looking into getting a chameleon for awhile now I think I will be looking into getting a pair of veiled chameleons in the near future so an insight would be great!

Welcome:)! For two adult veileds you'll need two 2' x 2' x 4' screen cages, dripers, lots banches, plants(live are best), uvb/uva light fixtures, lots of live insects, and a ton more stuff. I don't have personal experience in veileds but a chameleon is a chameleon so the very basic stuff is the same and there are lots of things you will need to set up.

from what i read they are the easiest for a first time owner, i was looking at the mesh Terrariums and what not, I'm not sure which breed would be the best personally I'm just going off what i have read so far. Also is it better to get one or a pair?

You arent keeping them in the same cage right? Well anyways get an automatic mister form aquazamp or mistking :D

Welcome. This is a great place to find answers. Click on the resource tab at the top of the page and read the care sheets. In my personal opinion I would start out with a male. Females will lay eggs even if she is never mated. If you do decide to go with a pair make sure that you have two enclosures. Also, search this forum for information on a lay box for females. It is very important to have one.

I have a male veiled and I love him. He has major attitude but that's ok with me. :D

Be sure to ask questions. It is great that you found this forum before getting your chameleon. There are so many members who know what they are talking about ad are always willing to help out.

If price and ease has anything to do with it you should just get one male to start. You cannot house them together if you do it will severely stress both of them out, but if your're still planning on getting two you will need two entire separate set ups for each chameleon they are very non social animals. For a beginner it's said that vieleds are the best, but my first is a Jackson's and he is doing great so far :D.

okay, will definitely go with one and price isn't really a concern. I will go with a male and was looking at the misters do they work well? Also considering possibly a jackson, carpet, or outstalet not sure though :)

congrats on jumping in the deep end lol

i have both male and female veiled's.. the female is cool...ER than the male but both are feisty...neither of mine were purchased as babys though so im sure that plays a part in it too. From what ive read and researched veiled's tend to be kinda mean by nature but theyre pretty hardy in terms of cham's..panthers seem to be a bit more docile and pretty tough as well (from what ive read and researched and discussed with owners). i love my veilds BUT.. i do have a lil girl panther (from what i can tell) which was supposed to be a boy.

Yep, that can create stress and it will be harder for them to find food.

Larger enclosures create stress? Can you elaborate on this? I totally disagree but I'd like to hear from your experience. How many small chameleons have you raised personally in large enclosures?

Welcome new member. Please take a couple of days and read the care sheets provided, and the articles in different forums that have five stars next to them.
There is a TON of info. available to read. Your questions have probably been asked a 100 times in the last month so really take a look around and enjoy.

Larger enclosures create stress? Can you elaborate on this? I totally disagree but I'd like to hear from your experience. How many small chameleons have you raised personally in large enclosures?

Welcome new member. Please take a couple of days and read the care sheets provided, and the articles in different forums that have five stars next to them.
There is a TON of info. available to read. Your questions have probably been asked a 100 times in the last month so really take a look around and enjoy.

Welcome! I am by no means an expert on baby chams and cannot give you advice on the short term... But I agree with CP... Common sense says that babies survive in the wild in the biggest enclosure of them all (the wild!). Still, it is important to make sure you are meeting their environmental needs for temps and humidity and that they can find their food.

For an adult cham, I would say that more space is definitely better. There is definitely a minimum space, (usually recommended as 2x2x4) but for the happiness of the cham, more is absolutely better. If you prepare a small enclosure for your baby, be prepared to remodel for a much MUCH larger enclosure for the adult.

Not answering your question now, but giving you something to consider moving forward. Have fun, do lots of reading on Chameleon Forums, and don't be afraid to ask questions... Even if they seem dumb :)

Edit: BTW my first cham is a Jackson's that I got several months ago. Ferdinand is not as vibrant as other species like panthers, but his horns are super cool, and he is very chill, and very friendly. Jackson's are smaller chams but my experience shows they need a lot of space. I vote Jackson's, but - full disclosure - I am biased :D

Usually a minimum of 2 ft by 2 ft by 4 ft tall.is recommended as the smallest size. I have my Jackson's in a 2ft by
3ft by 6ft enclosure, and he seems much happier. However many people seem to keep all species of chameleons successfully in a 2x2x4 screen cage.

You don't have to start with a baby. There are plenty of adults on the market. IMO, starting with an adult would be much easier. Check the Classifieds on th his forum, craigslist (risky, but that's where I got my cham), and other places for opportunities.

I'm a big fan of adopting pets in need instead of buying babies as a principal, but I have the resources to address potential health issues, etc.

From what I have learned on this forum from research, babies should be kept in a smaller cage so they can find food more easily and it can become overwhelming to them in such a large cage. I might be wrong and been researching wrong care? Or am I wrong on the stress part?

If your looking into misters - don't get a monsoon - I have had nothing but problems with mine - and I wish I had read the forums before I got it. I haven't heard any complaints from anyone on the aqua thing or mist king but have seen others with the same problems I have had with my monsoon pos. (mostly timer issues- either runs too much or not at all )
I will get one of the above as soon as I build up my fun fund again which is depleted from cages and lighting-
As for what size cage to buy - my feeling is that you should get one a little small - so that you have to buy an new one - then you can get another chameleon for the old cage-

Would a 2x2x4' terrarium be too big for a baby male?

Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. Yes, a 2x2x4 would be too big for a baby. The size cage would depend on the size baby your are getting. I am glad to see you here doing your research BEFORE you get a chameleon. I have a blog for new keepers attached below. It should help you to prepare for your new chameleon.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

I agree with Jann and also here is the very specific Veiled Care Sheet which is above and beyond the one that she posted for you. They are both great resources and we highly suggest that you follow them. Once you get your cham and you come on here asking for help they will always be referenced if your husbandry is not following the care sheet.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

What size is recommended?

There's alot of debate on here about cage sizing. In general I think it might be more stressful in finding food, and adjusting well, but if he adjusts quickly and finds food, I see no problem in starting with a larger cage. :)

Personally I started with a 18x18x36, which is the in-between size. I have a panther chameleon, and he adjusted quite fine in a larger cage. The medium size also will last alot longer than a small cage, so you wont have to replace it so quickly. :D
Hope this helps!

-Natalie

Back
Top Bottom