New here; REALLY need help!!!! :(!!!!!!!!!

daeyang

Hi, my name is Lea, quick intro-- this is NOT my chameleon. I work at a pet store and took her home today cause something really isn't right.
It's a female 100%, she laid eggs not very long ago (like 2 weeks), she was housed with another male, UVB and heat lamps, her eggs look great, or at least I think so. She CLEARLY still has a couple eggs, but here's the problem.. She is the weakest chameleon on the planet, she can hardly grip onto anything, she's dehydrated im sure but i feel bad prying her mouth open to give her water. Im going to try bringing her in the bathroom with me with a steaming hot shower so she can maybe get humid....?
She hasn't been eating very much and is now at home with me with a heat lamp and uvb in a 20 gallon tank, she has water in there but hasn't moved in an hour and a half so i felt bad and put a sock under the heat lamp and laid her on it, any advice may help, im afraid she won't stay with me tonight..

She is a veiled chameleon

Attachments

• IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3614.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 162
She needs a vet immediately. The sunken eyes are a sign of serious dehydration, and the skinny appearance and weak grip are indications of malnutrition- A vet will probably rehydrate and give an oxytocin shot to help pass the eggs; if that doesn't work, surgery would be required.

Unfortunately she may be beyond saving at this point. She is seriously dehydrated, starving, and egg bound. That is not a good recipe, but if you want her to have any shot at survival, she needs to be taken to a chameleon vet ASAP.

She needs a vet immediately. The sunken eyes are a sign of serious dehydration, and the skinny appearance and weak grip are indications of malnutrition- A vet will probably rehydrate and give an oxytocin shot to help pass the eggs; if that doesn't work, surgery would be required.

Agree! take her to the vet as soon as you can!

Alright.. That's what I figured... I 've done what I can, ever since we assigned someone new on the reptiles it's all gone downhill...thank you everyone

Afraid she is a goner, sorry. It would take a miracle worker of a vet to save her. I believe most vets would advise to euthanize. If she has mated, my advice would be to try and save the eggs, but you'll have to cut her open very soon after she passes. If it is too long after, the eggs will not be viable because they will be deprived of oxygen for too long.

Sorry to have to deliver this news to you... It is a hard job to try and save them in the last moment of life.

I agree with the vet and i would put the person that was on reptiles back on it. I would think they were doing it better then the new guy.

He did a much better job, and this newer guy is being fired, and now I'm taking care of the reptiles too. I don't expect her to live through the night, but if she does, I will keep everyone updated, but I am not very optimistic on the issue..
If she does pass the night and seems a little better tomorrow, then I will call a vet ASAP..

Afraid she is a goner, sorry. It would take a miracle worker of a vet to save her. I believe most vets would advise to euthanize. If she has mated, my advice would be to try and save the eggs, but you'll have to cut her open very soon after she passes. If it is too long after, the eggs will not be viable because they will be deprived of oxygen for too long.

Sorry to have to deliver this news to you... It is a hard job to try and save them in the last moment of life.

I agree. Just put her out of her misery. Not much you can do for her.

I hope she lives, its so sad seeing an animal poorly treated like this, it is sickening. You should tell the authorities like ASPCA or something about this because it is cruelty to animals. He should be barred from every touching a pet again. His kind of human makes me sick.

I hope she lives, its so sad seeing an animal poorly treated like this, it is sickening. You should tell the authorities like ASPCA or something about this because it is cruelty to animals. He should be barred from every touching a pet again. His kind of human makes me sick.

Before you judge so harshly, the person may know nothing about reptiles. He may have been stuck there, by a manger who needed the other person somewhere else. From the person who took the cham home to now being the reptile person, I think that could be what happened. I have seen way too many reptile treated very badly. I am just very happy that out new member cares and will do the best possible for the reptiles. I for one and here to offer any help we can.

Thank you, and he wasn't being cruel, he just said he had knowledge on them when he clearly hadn't.. I'm 18, and I know much more then he does. He's no longer working with the reptiles and this is the only reptile that really got harmed from how he cared for them.
I took her home because I didn't want her staying at the store where no one would be able to watch her and make sure she stays warm through the night, my beardie passed away recently and I love lizards with a passion. My goal isn't to have her live, but for her to have a comfortable passing if she does pass tonight.

Thank you, and he wasn't being cruel, he just said he had knowledge on them when he clearly hadn't.. I'm 18, and I know much more then he does. He's no longer working with the reptiles and this is the only reptile that really got harmed from how he cared for them.
I took her home because I didn't want her staying at the store where no one would be able to watch her and make sure she stays warm through the night, my beardie passed away recently and I love lizards with a passion. My goal isn't to have her live, but for her to have a comfortable passing if she does pass tonight.

Thanks for caring! that is more than a lot of people do. Letting her pass comfortably is the best you can offer her at this time.

Thanks for caring! that is more than a lot of people do. Letting her pass comfortably is the best you can offer her at this time.

Thank you :) Every so often I give her a little water when she lets me offer it, but for awhile now she's been resting on a little piece of flat wood with a sock on it to give her something to grip onto if she wants too.. :)

Hey everyone, she did make it through the night and I gave her a little soak bath this morning, I held her throughout it though since I was afraid of her not keeping herself up, I put her back and she's been moving a little bit and opening her mouth, (assuming to regulate temperature). I will call a vet today and see if any of them are good with chameleons (In Los Angeles). Thanks for your help everyone.

Hi there,
I am so sorry that she is in such a bad shape.
I must tell, I don't think she can make it, although I wish the most she would. If she doesn't lay all the eggs, there will be a problem. :(
My little girl passed away 3 weeks ago because she became eggbound. The same thing happened: she layed eggs and then stopped and lived for 11 more days and then passed away. I don't know why didn't she lay the rest of her eggs... But she was very dehydrated although the vet gave her a lot of fluid and her pee was white as snow. But I could see how weaker she got day by day. She died in my hands and I couldn't wish more at that point, just make her pass calm and comfortable and being loved. :(
Surgery is the only way but that little girl with you is so weak and dehydrated at this point....
I wish all my bests to that sweet girl and I'm so glad there are people like you in the world!

So as most of you said and what I thought, she passed away this morning before 12:45. This morning she did seem a little better, but that was the rest of the energy she was holding.. Thank you for at least giving me the information I needed :)

Bless your heart for helping her pass as comfortably as she could! Unfortunately, there was probably nothing that you or a vet could have done.

Out of curiosity, what will become of the eggs? I would guess they are fertile if she was housed with a male.

Back
Top Bottom