New Guy

Jeeper88

Hello everybody my name is jared and im very interrested in owning a chameleon but have no clue where to start can somebody help point me to the right breed for a 1st time owner and just general info would be great! and maybe even a breeder here in so cal?

Welcome to the forum...and the world of chameleons!

Here's some information that you might find helpful....
Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption. Temperatures needed can vary with the species and age. For hatchling panthers I keep the temperature in the warmest area in the low 80's. For older panthers I keep it in the mid to high 80's for the most part.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

If you buy a female...once a female is sexually mature it can produce eggs without being mated so its important to provide an appropriate place in the cage for it to dig in to show you when it needs to lay eggs. An opaque container at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled with moistened washed playsand will do.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
If you can't access the sites above that have the word "archive" in you can do it through the WayBackMachine.

I have a GREAT breeder for you in California. Not sure if it is Southern or not as I do not know the area but they breed all types of panthers if that is what you are looking for. If you cannot pick it up, they ship all over the US so where you would live would be no problem. I live in Florida and got mine from them. They are called Kammerflage Kreations. They are a site sponsor and very well known and reputable. I highly recommend them. If you look up in the top right of this page is says "view our sponsors" you can link to their website. If you end up buying from them they will give you a complete care sheet. Their supplementation schedule and basking temps are a little different than what is recommended on the forum here so it would be your choice as which to follow.

Check out Screameleons. Panthers have awesome colors and most are easy to handle.Vincent from screameleons has a great starter package. great phone support,and AWESOME panthers.Welcome to the forums

Hey there, and welcome! So glad you are here to learn before making a purchase! If you have any questions, there are many great, and knowledgeable people here that would be willing to answer them.

O geez now you opened up the can of worms for questions I have tons of those!

So I've been doing a little research online checking out different Cham sites but cant seem to find a growth rate of how fast they grow per month, and what cage size is really good for a full size panther so i don't have to buy a cage twice and is a panther Cham a really good Cham for my 1st Cham? are females or males better for my 1st one??

i like doing my research before i make a decision so i know that i know everything there in to know so i don't make a mistake and harm the poor thing

If you buy a 3-4 month old veiled or panther. You can buy an adult cage and partition off the bottom half and use that. Once he's grown a bit and can hunt sufficiently you can remove the partition. ;)

So I've been doing a little research online checking out different Cham sites but cant seem to find a growth rate of how fast they grow per month, and what cage size is really good for a full size panther so i don't have to buy a cage twice and is a panther Cham a really good Cham for my 1st Cham? are females or males better for my 1st one??

Hi Jared, welcome to the forum. It's a great place to find info. I hope it helps you as much as it's helped me!

As far as what chameleon would be a good one to start with, I would suggest a panther or veiled. The husbandry requirements are very similar between these two, so it's really personal preference and how much you want to spend. A panther will cost you anywhere from $150-$300 (some are much higher), and young veileds are usually around $50-$100. Definitely buy from a breeder or a hobbyist rather than a pet store like Petco or Petsmart - at least that's my suggestion. Panther's are generally much more docile and laid back than veileds, from my experience. But every cham is different.
I would start with a male, because you don't have to worry about eggs. Even if a female has never been with a male, she will still lay eggs, they just won't be fertile. For a first time keeper, you may want to avoid this, as it can sometimes me problematic - females can become egg bound and refuse to lay the eggs for different reasons. If you choose a female, it's just something you should be aware of. There are a lot of excellent breeders in your state - I'm jealous of all you guys in Cali. Indiana is not the most cham-friendly place!

Back
Top Bottom