NEW GUY---We gotta talk!!!!

thomas041

I am interested in getting a Chamelean, prefferably a Veiled/Yemen as I am told these are the simplest to start. I have books on the way but could do with some infomation from the best source I know of, current keepers:)

I have given myself till xmas to see if I can give one a good enough home and to check the expense side of things too.

I have determined that I should get a baby,male captive breed and a cage of 47 by 47 by 122cm, does this sound good. I know that they require misting as they rarely drink from bowls....I have a long way to go havnt I:eek:

Any suggestions?

By your post I am guessing you are out of the US. Where are you?

What is it about the C. calyptratus that you like?
C. paradalis may be your cup of tea or a T. jacksonii xantholophus.

What is your confidence level in taking care of reptiles? (any experience)

As stated by others there is gobs of information for you and another excellent source is the SEARCH mode of this forum.

Just throwing things out there for you to consider. :cool:

www.raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com

Tis is the best website ever made.

before you buy, you need to set up the cage.

Do you have a Reptisun or reptiglo 5.0 UVB TUBE STYLE* bulb?

live plants like pothos or ficus?

Anything?

*Those coil bulbs are NOT acceptible

Remember: Use our adviceon this forum. using the pet store advice can possibly kill your chameleon.

-Steve

I am in the uk located in hampshire (south of England) I have given myself till xmas to get clued up spmething tells me its not long enough. I have heard people reccommend the veiled as they are a easy/hardy breed good for the new hobyist.

I am interested in getting a Chamelean, prefferably a Veiled/Yemen as I am told these are the simplest to start. I have books on the way but could do with some infomation from the best source I know of, current keepers:)

I have given myself till xmas to see if I can give one a good enough home and to check the expense side of things too.

I have determined that I should get a baby,male captive breed and a cage of 47 by 47 by 122cm, does this sound good. I know that they require misting as they rarely drink from bowls....I have a long way to go havnt I:eek:

Any suggestions?

It's great you have interest and you will find a lot of helpful hints on this forum.

Members on this forum are usually breeders also. So you might get a deal here rather than an overpriced cham at petsmart or petco and they probably dont take care of them too good.* I'm also in the process of getting a veiled/yeman from member BocaJan and im just too excited...but I'm getting the neccessities first: the cage, the 20" flourescent hood, the 18" reptisun 5.0 bulb, the clamp lamp with daylight 60w bulb, calcium powder, herptivite, plants, fake vines, etc.etc lol

NEVER go for compact bulbs for they could be harmful to your chams eyes.

What I've heard from members, they usually buy the UNDER CABINET 18" light fixture to hold the reptisun 5.0 18" bulb...it's located at walmart for 6-7 dollars :D (just look in the lightbulbs section)

The cage size is fine for the juvenile cham but should be larger when it is an adult.

Good luck!!

Best thing you can do, research em extensively from different sites. Go to your local library and look for books, not only on chameleon, but on reptiles in general also.
Re-reading info you already know can be good to make sure that you juts know it and not even have to think about it ^^
Good luck to ya. I want to see pictures of your cham once u get im!

Back
Top Bottom