New guy!!!! Right set-up????

Jjreeb

Your chameleon:male young( just started to show colors) nosy faly panther chameleon. in my care for 2 weeks

Handling: once to clean cage

Feeding: ~ 10 three week crickets daily. Put into a dish that he eats them out of so they dont get lost.

Supplements: I HAVE 3 exo-terra supplements. One with calcium, one with calcium+ d3 and one multi vitamin. Have been rotating them daily, but not sure is this is right.

Watering: monsoon for 30sec every 2 hours

Fecal description: normal( brown and white at the end)

History: got from JJ chams at Edmonton reptile show

Cage type: 36"x18"x36" exo terra glass terrarium

Lighting: dual fluorescent exo terra canopy with 1x 5.0 UVB + 1x 2.0 UVB + 2 small halogen bulbs. Also 100w bulb on one end of cage

Temp: 75-80 on warm side 70-75 on cool side

Humidity: 70%- 90%

Plants: all fake silk plants for now. Hope to get live plant(s) soon!

Placement: against a wall near a window in my room

I love this guy! So cute! Still haven't picked a name. Any ideas? How does everything seem? What age do they usually start to show color?

Thanks everybody in advance!!!!

Congrats on the new cham! falys are pretty.

as regarding you supplement schedule, Many people here for panthers and veileds use calcium without d3 daily, calicum with d3 and the multivitamin twice a month.

I dont know when panthers start to get their colors, I only have veields and hoenellis, but It can be as early as 3 monthts, or later in life, it just depends. no set time frame.
Can I ask why you have 2 uvb bulbs, and two halogen bulbs?
Also, for your cage, you willl need to upgrade to a 2x2x4 roughly when he is fully grown.

Good luck, and post pics!

As far as the upgrade on the cage as the other member suggested, in my opinion a 36 X 36 X 18 is a suitable size for an adult. One of our most respected sponsors/breeders uses 30 X 36 X 18 for their adult panthers. Bigger is always better of course. I have the 30 X 36 X 18 but I also have a large outdoor cage and a free range area on my patio for my chameleon. As far as the lights, you only need the one 5.0. I have two basking bulbs in my cage as it is 30 inches wide versus the 24 inch wide manypeople use and it also brightens up the other side of the cage. Is your monsoon going off in the evening hours too? If so, it does not need to. I would have it go on like 3 or times a day for 3 minutes or so. You want the cage to dry out at some point and with it going off every 2 hours, it probably is not doing so. What are the two halogen bulbs for by the way? Welcome to the forums!!

Last edited:
The 2 UVB bulbs and the 2 halogens are all part of one system. It's the one made by exo-terra. Haha. A little unnecesary but it was a package deal ( it actually came with 2 of these systems, but I sold one) and it looks really nice and bright. I have heard of quite a number of people using this size for adults, so I don't see a problem. Will correct if necesary. Can they get to much d3? I know tortoises can.... Also. If I have the monsoon go off for that long, will it dry out? In a glass cage? 3 minutes three times a day is wayy more then 30 secs 8 times, and I'm already having trouble with pooling water.

Last edited:
yeah, if you have glass I am sure it will not dry out as quickly as the screen enclosures which are exposed to air. Go somehwere in between but just don't be running it at night. It really serves no purpose when you chameleon is sleeping other than getting him wet! It does raise the humidity but I wouldn't want to be rained on all night! lol! Just make sure you see your chameleon drink, although sometimes they are very secretive about it!. It sometimes takes them minutes to start drinking, some will drink right away as soon as they see the droplets and some don't. If you are sure that your chameleon is well hyrdrated, then I wouldn't worry about it then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom