New Guy From Jersey

Question about different types of wood for cham enclosures...would cedar be ok for a cham? I'm most likely going with that cage I posted but i might look into putting some framing/crown molding or something to give it a furniture like appeal while also keeping the lamps and heating elements hidden. Now I know different kinds of cedar is used a lot in saunas withstanding humidity/moisture...bad idea?

I wouldn't have cedar actually inside the cage. I have a sauna. The cedar actually absorbs the moisture and water you spray it with. Add a lot of heat with that and you get the humidity and moisture inside the sauna. The cedar drys as you "take a sauna". Your cage would have to reach extreme temperatures for the cedar to dry out. For a frame though, that would be fine as long as it is treated with polyvarathane or etc. to keep moisture of out of the wood. Otherwise you risk a chance of mold developing. The framework is a good idea though!

I wouldn't have cedar actually inside the cage. I have a sauna. The cedar actually absorbs the moisture and water you spray it with. Add a lot of heat with that and you get the humidity and moisture inside the sauna. The cedar drys as you "take a sauna". Your cage would have to reach extreme temperatures for the cedar to dry out. For a frame though, that would be fine as long as it is treated with polyvarathane or etc. to keep moisture of out of the wood. Otherwise you risk a chance of mold developing. The framework is a good idea though!
Right, no wood inside, all outside. So then for outside I can use anything really like oak, just as long as its treated/sealed nicely.

Right, no wood inside, all outside. So then for outside I can use anything really like oak, just as long as its treated/sealed nicely.
Correct. Make sure though as its getting put around the frame and you're boxing it in that it seals tightly and no water can seep in and get stuck. That could even mold. Oak would look killer

So I have my old Neodesha snake/reptile enclosure I need to sell but I don't think I've been active long enough to post it up in the classifieds. Quicker I sell it, the quicker I can order my cham's cage...how active does one need to be in order to be able to make a thread in the classifieds?

So I have my old Neodesha snake/reptile enclosure I need to sell but I don't think I've been active long enough to post it up in the classifieds. Quicker I sell it, the quicker I can order my cham's cage...how active does one need to be in order to be able to make a thread in the classifieds?

You have to go from "New Member" to "Member" to post anything in the classifieds section.

Back
Top Bottom