New Free Range

chams529

Hey Guys!

So my, male veiled chameleon has recently started to want to come out of his cage a lot more. When I do let him out, he always seems like he wants to explore. (I think he might be getting a little bored of his cage.) I would love to set up a free-range area for him, but I don't really know where to begin. Any suggestions? Thanks!

So usually when a cham wants out of their cage a lot, it means something is wrong with the husbandry. Can you post a picture of your enclosure?

IMG_0788.jpg

Ok so from what I can see it looks like you do not have a linear uvb bulb, you need one asap. A popular brand is reptisun, I reccomend the t5 5.0. You also need many more branches and plants for him to feel safe, right now he is very stressed not bored. What are the dimensions of the cage?

Ok so from what I can see it looks like you do not have a linear uvb bulb, you need one asap. A popular brand is reptisun, I reccomend the t5 5.0. You also need many more branches and plants for him to feel safe, right now he is very stressed not bored. What are the dimensions of the cage?
So the dimensions of the cage are 16x16x36. Also, you can't really see it in the photo, but there is a linear UVB bulb on the top running the length of the cage.

So the dimensions of the cage are 16x16x36. Also, you can't really see it in the photo, but there is a linear UVB bulb on the top running the length of the cage.
Ok that's good but you do need a bigger cage. Theres no point in filling the one you have, you need a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft asap.

ok, I will hopefully be able to get on that this weekend. Thanks for your input! Also once I get the bigger cage, will I still need a free roam for him?
Yep like Jannb said, it's always a good idea to free range, but he also needs a good enclosure that he feels safe in.

Ok, I will look into that. Thanks for all of your help! Is there anything else I should know?

If you are going to use the free range full time, he will need his lights handing over the tree and a dripped. You can hand mist or add a MistKing. They do get down and roam, especially when they are young so you have to be very careful of that or make a coral to go around the bottom of the tree. I make corals like this. This one is on a baby free range.

1617910974697.jpeg

@jannb Just hacking the thread with a question, as I consider you as an expert (experienced) in this range. I can see your baby´s are all completely free, free in the meaning of nothing that surrounds them to keep temperature of humidity in. As you know, I´m doing the same for few weeks now and love it. However she should be slowly being in her next shed, normally she did every 4 weeks and is now +6 weeks till her last shed. I´m a bit in a doubt if humidity could be a problem.

Her urate is for 95% of the time white and for the other 5% with a coloured tip. Therefore hydration should be good.

I mist the tree crown 3 times for 1 minute (7:15pm - 1:00am - 6:15am) and the leaves are soaking wet after these sessions. Additional I fog 8 times per night starting at 11:00pm till 6:00am for 15 minutes per session, at the location where she sleeps and in total over an distance of 24" across the tree crown.

When I see your beautiful setup I don´t think I need to worry about the humidity or do you raise the room humidity?

Thanks for your reaction ✌️

Hey Guys!

So my, male veiled chameleon has recently started to want to come out of his cage a lot more. When I do let him out, he always seems like he wants to explore. (I think he might be getting a little bored of his cage.) I would love to set up a free-range area for him, but I don't really know where to begin. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I´ve created this as 24/7 free range area for my female veiled. And had to made some adjustments in the beginning, because she managed to escape 3 times. Now we give her every weekend the chance to freely explore the room, under supervision, by putting a `bridge` between the planter and the couch.

DEB0696B-EACC-4CFD-B65C-E392064F7325.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom