New Female Veiled Chameleon Enclosure Question

Bronxthechameleon

Hello,

so I recently purchased a baby (3-4 month old) female piebald veiled chameleon and I am quite nervous for her to lay her first set of infertile eggs (I’ve never owned a female). I have had her for about 3 weeks now and she seems to be doing well in her enclosure and I’ve just put in her laying bin (I’m using reptisoil) in her enclosure. Her laying bin pretty much takes up the bottom of her enclosure making her base really just reptisoil - I’m a bit nervous as since I don’t really know when she’ll be laying eggs I want the bin to be there for her own convenience; however, I just want to make sure that it’s safe? My enclosure is a screened enclosure as well not glass.

MAIN QUESTIONS:
1. Is it okay to have her laying bin in her enclosure 24/7?
2. Is reptisoil something you guys have had good success with?
3. What colors or signs are most common with veiled chameleons when they are ready to lay eggs?

Hello,

so I recently purchased a baby (3-4 month old) female piebald veiled chameleon and I am quite nervous for her to lay her first set of infertile eggs (I’ve never owned a female). I have had her for about 3 weeks now and she seems to be doing well in her enclosure and I’ve just put in her laying bin (I’m using reptisoil) in her enclosure. Her laying bin pretty much takes up the bottom of her enclosure making her base really just reptisoil - I’m a bit nervous as since I don’t really know when she’ll be laying eggs I want the bin to be there for her own convenience; however, I just want to make sure that it’s safe? My enclosure is a screened enclosure as well not glass.

MAIN QUESTIONS:
1. Is it okay to have her laying bin in her enclosure 24/7?
2. Is reptisoil something you guys have had good success with?
3. What colors or signs are most common with veiled chameleons when they are ready to lay eggs?
Can you post a pic of her and her enclosure and lay bin

Can you post a pic of her and her enclosure and lay bin
Hopefully these pictures help! I don’t believe she’s receptive right now but I just want to be prepared for anything! But I also want to make sure everything is safe for her! I will soon be switching her reptisoil to washed play sand as well :) just not too sure if it’s okay to have reptisoil in her laying bin! I will also be upgrading her enclosure once she’s a bit older (she currently has 16x16x30)

Attachments

• 7FEDF1EC-78C5-4FB5-9B79-456526A40FCE.jpeg
    7FEDF1EC-78C5-4FB5-9B79-456526A40FCE.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 9AA671F1-BDE3-461B-844D-3E06E367D8DD.jpeg
    9AA671F1-BDE3-461B-844D-3E06E367D8DD.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 120
  • FD1E06AC-AB7F-43E3-8620-382DDDB51E00.jpeg
    FD1E06AC-AB7F-43E3-8620-382DDDB51E00.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 109
Hopefully these pictures help! I don’t believe she’s receptive right now but I just want to be prepared for anything! But I also want to make sure everything is safe for her! I will soon be switching her reptisoil to washed play sand as well :) just not too sure if it’s okay to have reptisoil in her laying bin! I will also be upgrading her enclosure once she’s a bit older (she currently has 16x16x
Hopefully these pictures help! I don’t believe she’s receptive right now but I just want to be prepared for anything! But I also want to make sure everything is safe for her! I will soon be switching her reptisoil to washed play sand as well :) just not too sure if it’s okay to have reptisoil in her laying bin! I will also be upgrading her enclosure once she’s a bit older (she currently has 16x16x30)
Ok so I have a few things to go over.
First when I see the cage there needs to be a lot more branches and foliage. Also you need live plants like pothos or a umbrella plant. She will be very stressed is she does not have a place to hide and climb. Which could lead to promblems include if problems with egg laying.
Also what Uvb bulb are you using and what heat bulb?? I need you to fill this out for a bit more information.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

For a uvb bulb it is CRITICAL that you have a 24” 5.0 T5ho linear uvb bulb. If you don’t your chameleon will develop MBD and in the worst of cases cause death.

Ok so I have a few things to go over.
First when I see the cage there needs to be a lot more branches and foliage. Also you need live plants like pothos or a umbrella plant. She will be very stressed is she does not have a place to hide and climb. Which could lead to promblems include if problems with egg laying.
Also what Uvb bulb are you using and what heat bulb?? I need you to fill this out for a bit more information.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? She is a piebald veiled chameleon (3-4 months in age)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Because I am still working on trust 3-4 times a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding her dubia roaches as her main food & hornworms as a treat. I gutload my bugs w/ mustard greens, carrots, squash & cucumber. I feed her once a day since she’s still a baby she’ll eat about 6-10 dubia roaches/bugs
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use reptical without D-3 6 times a week and with D-3 once a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am using a reptifogger, little dropper, and am misting her cage 2-3 times a day. I do see her drinking often and her poop seems to be normal and shows her to be hydrated.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Her poop is white & brown (healthy/hydrated)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16x16x30 I will upgrade once she is a bit older
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have her lights on 12 hrs a day and have purchased the T5 which is coming in any day
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Her basking is ranges from 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Her humidity ranges from 40-60%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have both live and fake
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Nevada

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? She is a piebald veiled chameleon (3-4 months in age)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Because I am still working on trust 3-4 times a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding her dubia roaches as her main food & hornworms as a treat. I gutload my bugs w/ mustard greens, carrots, squash & cucumber. I feed her once a day since she’s still a baby she’ll eat about 6-10 dubia roaches/bugs
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use reptical without D-3 6 times a week and with D-3 once a week ok so you need a multivitamin, what you will do is 6 days a week have the calcium without d3 and every other week on the 7th day switch between calcium with d3 and the multivitamin, you need a multivitamin without d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am using a reptifogger, little dropper, and am misting her cage 2-3 times a day. I do see her drinking often and her poop seems to be normal and shows her to be hydrated. how long do you mist for, good for fogger
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Her poop is white & brown (healthy/hydrated)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16x16x30 I will upgrade once she is a bit older
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have her lights on 12 hrs a day and have purchased the T5 which is coming in any day
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Her basking is ranges from 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Her humidity ranges from 40-60%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have both live and fake You must have all live, this was a mistake I made to, but you also need many more branches and foliage in this cage

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use reptical without D-3 6 times a week and with D-3 once a week ok so you need a multivitamin, what you will do is 6 days a week have the calcium without d3 and every other week on the 7th day switch between calcium with d3 and the multivitamin, you need a multivitamin without d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am using a reptifogger, little dropper, and am misting her cage 2-3 times a day. I do see her drinking often and her poop seems to be normal and shows her to be hydrated. how long do you mist for, good for fogger

Cage Info:
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have both live and fake You must have all live, this was a mistake I made to, but you also need many more branches and foliage in this cage

What brand and multivitamin do you recommend?
And yes, I plan on doing all live as well! Just put in an order for some pothos, etc. & ordered more branches too :)

This is the BOTTOM of my cage. I have more stuff up top just not in this pic.

Attachments

• 9D9683B7-A4D7-409D-9859-1679BBAEA987.jpeg
    9D9683B7-A4D7-409D-9859-1679BBAEA987.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom