New female eating habits

Hello all,

I just got a new edition to my collection a couple of days ago and I'm starting to not get so muched worried as concerted.

I got a sub adult/ adult female standard jackson on sat. She was looking good. Shedding but still looking good. The guy o bought her from fed her dubias and crickets ( gut loaded) well I did not know this till after I had bought some super worms. Sunday he eats 4 or 5 supers Monday same 4 or 5 then I read that they are not a good staple ( witch I knew already ) so I get 3 dz gutloaded crickets. Yesterday 5 crix go in. 5 come out. Idk did I spoil her with the supers?

4-5 superworms are a little more filling than 4-5 crickets (unless you have those huge black crickets, then I don't know..), she may just be full.

Because she is a female you may want to consider feeding less (as well as having a lower basking temperature [I believe low 78-low 80s are usually suggested] if you haven't done so already) so she doesn't lay 100+ eggs - it's happened.

I understand that I a try to male sure food is avaible at all times so if she does get hungry then something there. But I just don't understand why she will eat two days in a row and then maybe skip eating for two days? Just does seem right. I mean could it be because she's shedding or something? Her basking temp stays at about 74 to 76 so I don't think it's a temp think but I have been known to be wrong before

Jackson's don't lay eggs. :rolleyes:

If you just got her on Saturday she may still be adjusting to her new surroundings. Sometimes they stop eating, feel more insecure in a new place; they usually settle down within a week or two. I also find that montanes don't have as big of appetites as some of their lowland cousins (Veileds and Panthers). Mine don't necessarily eat every day. Watch and make sure she is active, good colour, bulgey eyes and keep offering food daily.

You're right, jacksons don't lay eggs, I was reading too many posts at once.. that and I had joke woken up. I could have sworn that said veiled.
Luckily there are wonderful people on these forums that will correct such errors.

I understand that I a try to male sure food is avaible at all times so if she does get hungry then something there. But I just don't understand why she will eat two days in a row and then maybe skip eating for two days? Just does seem right. I mean could it be because she's shedding or something? Her basking temp stays at about 74 to 76 so I don't think it's a temp think but I have been known to be wrong before

Chameleons will keep eating and eating and eating. Then don't know when to stop eating. Just keep that in mind. :)

Let her settle in.

Back
Top Bottom