New feeding tricks

Franquixote

Established Member
My panther is a picky bastage, even when he is hungry he makes a whole production out of eating... so lately I have used a laser pointer dot on the bug, and even more successful and weird is that if I walk over to the enclosure and open my mouth and stick out my tongue like I am going to eat it before him he gets excited and takes a shot.
It's bizarre. Also, he sees perfectly well - when I put in a hornworm after he hasn't had one in a month he will fly from across the cage, yet his tongue sticks like 15-20% of the time. I thought maybe he was a little dehydrated or something but it happens regardless of whether or not I saw him drink a bunch. Also, seems like consistent temps in the lower 70's get him eating better than low 80's, everything about this guy seems counterintuitive. I wish I knew what his problem is, he gets very VERY well gut loaded (and variety of) insects and proper UV, supplements, etc. but he is just such a pain to feed. Refuses to eat from any kind of cup feeder (even Nick Barta's well-designed ones) and with the constant unsuccessful and reluctant strikes it's a half hour affair to get him to feed. I can't leave anything in nwith him- that's the deal here with the wife and family- so I would think introducing prey would get him going, but NOPE, just lazy it seems.

Omg that made my day.
I have trouble with Terry too...But that’s almost something you would do for a dog.
I never thought to stick out my tongue usually just flip him off.
It has me thinking... I wonder if I removed the whistle from these would they work,...

Of course then he sees me sitting in front of the terrarium blowing on party favors I’ll have proven my husband right that my pets have finally driven me completely crazy...

Lily (female panther) came to me with a poor, reluctant shot and she'd miss feeders I was holding less than 3" away. She also seemed to have a hard time getting her tongue to "stick" to prey items for the first few weeks I had her. Correcting her supplements, good hydration, providing natural sunlight (taking her outside for 20-30mins or so 2-3 times a week), and stimulating her prey drive with flying feeders did a lot to get her back on her feet! The flying feeders (black soldier flies, mostly) also had the added benefit of adding enrichment and forcing her to exercise a bit and actively hunt. Lily's no longer reluctant to shoot her tongue, and while her aim still isn't the best she doesn't give up after a half-hearted shot or two like she did at the beginning. Her tongue now "sticks" when she lands a shot, as well!

While handfeeding (especially in the beginning, when she was less trusting of me), I've found staring at the feeder and rubbing it between my thumb and index finger to produce more movement to be effective.

For a while I couldn't get my cham to take roaches. It was frustrating and he would hunger strike for days and days. After trying everything, I ended up finding the one thing that worked and it's not difficult at all. I'm surprised it's been kept a secret for so long. When you go to try and feed your chameleon a roach, stand next to the cage and stare at your chameleon. From here you want to pick up another roach, put it in your mouth and chew. Your chameleon will see this, and because he loves you, will want to do the same. Now your chameleon will eat roaches. It works with other feeders as well.

For a while I couldn't get my cham to take roaches. It was frustrating and he would hunger strike for days and days. After trying everything, I ended up finding the one thing that worked and it's not difficult at all. I'm surprised it's been kept a secret for so long. When you go to try and feed your chameleon a roach, stand next to the cage and stare at your chameleon. From here you want to pick up another roach, put it in your mouth and chew. Your chameleon will see this, and because he loves you, will want to do the same. Now your chameleon will eat roaches. It works with other feeders as well.
LMAO!!! Yes sir works every time

Oh great master, can we see a demonstration of your skill??

Joe Rogan from fear factor?
Is that your real identity?

You may want to fill out the form... He should not be missing his feeders like that... Something may be off specifically the supplements or the UVB whether it is bulb strength for the specific fixture or distance to basking.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Yeah apollo has never been picky lol, he at this point is just over weight then again I got him like this lol

Back
Top Bottom