new enclosure

As of last week, Yoshi was sick, barely moving and wouldn’t eat. Since then she has made a full recovery, and has even started biting at her real plants!

I did a complete redo of YoshiMoto’s enclosure. I only have real plants now, since before I didn’t even have one. She seems to be much happier in this enclosure, because of more climbing space.

Yoshi isn’t wobbling anymore, and has been eating a bunch, she can’t get enough of her food! Thank you guys for all the information and advice.

Before and After :

0F472194-FDEE-4845-8B6E-0AE99A89E8F1.jpeg

87DDDB27-BCEE-4B84-ACB6-ED4F8256E648.jpeg

That plant that for the life i me i cant remember, is going to need ALOT more light than that. It might live if it was very close to the T5's, but down below its going to need a boost from a sansi grow led, etc.

Kinda wish you would have kept more of the hammocks in LOL.

That plant that for the life i me i cant remember, is going to need ALOT more light than that. It might live if it was very close to the T5's, but down below its going to need a boost from a sansi grow led, etc.

Kinda wish you would have kept more of the hammocks in LOL.
are you talking about the plant at the bottom? -umbrella plant. that pic was taken at night, it’s bright during the day.

i wish i would have too! people were telling me that the hammocks rip out their toenails. Yoshi has lost three toenails but i’m not sure if it was from them, or climbing the screen.

are you talking about the plant at the bottom? -umbrella plant. that pic was taken at night, it’s bright during the day.

i wish i would have too! people were telling me that the hammocks rip out their toenails. Yoshi has lost three toenails but i’m not sure if it was from them, or climbing the screen.

yea i kill all my umbrella trees :(

As for the toe nails, if the sticks are of sufficient hardness, the nails should not develop the hooks/hypodermic needles that get caught in the screens. And plenty of chams pull out the nails on the screens so just removing the hammocks might not help you much.

I just switched to 1/4-1/2" mesh for the screen, so they cant get the nails caught. Though small feeders could get out...

yea i kill all my umbrella trees :(

As for the toe nails, if the sticks are of sufficient hardness, the nails should not develop the hooks/hypodermic needles that get caught in the screens. And plenty of chams pull out the nails on the screens so just removing the hammocks might not help you much.

I just switched to 1/4-1/2" mesh for the screen, so they cant get the nails caught. Though small feeders could get out...
if i kill my umbrella tree that’s going to suck! i had to look everywhere for it, and it was expensive. she loves it though, she os constantly on it, and eating it.

that’s a good idea, as for the mesh screen.

i’m worried about her losing more toenails, since that’s what they use to climb, and grip. as i said, she has lost three, two on one back foot, and one on the other back foot.

if i kill my umbrella tree that’s going to suck! i had to look everywhere for it, and it was expensive. she loves it though, she os constantly on it, and eating it.

that’s a good idea, as for the mesh screen.

i’m worried about her losing more toenails, since that’s what they use to climb, and grip. as i said, she has lost three, two on one back foot, and one on the other back foot.
https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/yardgard-galvanized-hardware-cloth-yaga1057.html

I have been using this stuff (1/2" vinyl coated galvanized) for close to 30 years now. You can even make the entire cage out of it since its self supporting if you use round bottoms/tops. And since its half inch spacing, even adults can climb around the cage just fine.

https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/how-to-build-your-own-chameleon-lizard-cage/

585d60002ceed6e4dffa511e30641d5c.jpg

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/yardgard-galvanized-hardware-cloth-yaga1057.html

I have been using this stuff (1/2" vinyl coated galvanized) for close to 30 years now. You can even make the entire cage out of it since its self supporting if you use round bottoms/tops. And since its half inch spacing, even adults can climb around the cage just fine.

https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/how-to-build-your-own-chameleon-lizard-cage/

View attachment 303693
like you said earlier, i would just be scared the smaller feeders would escape. thanks for all of the info! yours looks awesome!

What a great improvement! I would replace the Exo Terra vines with safe ones, along with the twine vines, as his nails could get caught in that, too, and remove the hammock. Does she have a lay bin in there?

What a great improvement! I would replace the Exo Terra vines with safe ones, along with the twine vines, as his nails could get caught in that, too, and remove the hammock. Does she have a lay bin in there?
yes she does. it’s in the bottom back corner for privacy, you can’t really tell from the pic.

As of last week, Yoshi was sick, barely moving and wouldn’t eat. Since then she has made a full recovery, and has even started biting at her real plants!

I did a complete redo of YoshiMoto’s enclosure. I only have real plants now, since before I didn’t even have one. She seems to be much happier in this enclosure, because of more climbing space.

Yoshi isn’t wobbling anymore, and has been eating a bunch, she can’t get enough of her food! Thank you guys for all the information and advice.

Before and After :

View attachment 303690

View attachment 303691
You should really take out that hammock or else ur going to have a clumsy no claw Cham 😂 please just trust me and take it out

chameleons can lose their toenails just as easily by climbing the screen of their enclosure.
Not as easily. the hammock has Little threads and the screen is more fine. Yes they can pull if the holes in the screen are super tiny/really fine but if you want ur Cham to lose them and become clumsy okay. Just a lot of people have said take the hammocks out. You should really trust us

Not as easily. the hammock has Little threads and the screen is more fine. Yes they can pull if the holes in the screen are super tiny/really fine but if you want ur Cham to lose them and become clumsy okay. Just a lot of people have said take the hammocks out. You should really trust us
i have trusted you guys, and i’m doing what i think is best for my reptile. there is one small hammock in the lower corner. she rarely touches it, but it’s just nice to be there for if she decides to go to it. thx.

i have trusted you guys, and i’m doing what i think is best for my reptile. there is one small hammock in the lower corner. she rarely touches it, but it’s just nice to be there for if she decides to go to it. thx.
I’m really not trying to be mean but you should take out the twine to please please please

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/claws.164268/#post-1419619

With a properly setup cage, they dont develop the hooks that get caught. Its no different than a dog that runs around on concrete enough to wear down he nails vs one that lives on carpet and "pulls them out".
You make abousoulty no sense at all help me try to understand what your saying. Carpet does not usually pull out dogs nails it’s pretty rare and trust me I have had 4 dogs previously and including the one I own now

And if there’s hammocks that aren’t good for them then it’s not the “proper” set up your referring to
So he will have the nails to pull out bc it’s not a “proper” setup like you said but I should stop ranting. A lot of people say hammocks and twine are good for chamd

Back
Top Bottom