New enclosure

Some family friends gave me this huge squirrel cage to repurpose as a cage for Robert. I’ve built a structure inside of it, and plan on getting a live vine plant to hang on the top so he will have a live plant to hide in and climb on. I’m also going to get some fake vine plants and leaves and more sticks so he can hide and climb. I will be buying a repti fogger for this enclosure, and he already has a uvb light with a far enough range that he can be close to the bottom and still get his uvb. I’m also going to put some kind of material at the bottom so he isn’t walking around on the metal, and lastly buy a tray to slide underneath the cage so it catches excess water. Do you guys recommend anything else for this cage?

(Ps, If you look in the back you can see Robert checking out the new digs)

Attachments

• AA1A6E66-7EA1-4DBD-B27F-D9BB2791E3CF.jpeg
    AA1A6E66-7EA1-4DBD-B27F-D9BB2791E3CF.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 215
I would remove the tape and use zip ties... also just so you know a t5ho uvb fixture only provides uvi in the first 15 inches directly below the light no farther so make sure his basking level is about 7-8 inches from the top to provide the correct uvi level for him. I would add all live plants and skip the fake ones. That cage you would be able to put some wonderful big plants in. Lots more horizontal branches and do all different dimensions for his feet. :)

I'd also make sure to waterproof/seal the wood, if you haven't already :)

Do you know what kind of metal the mesh is? If it's not plastic coated, stainless steel, or aluminum (I.e. if it's galvanized) it'll be prone to corrosion with the high humidity and misting
The wood needs to be coated but the metal is rust proof.

Any recommendations on the type of wood seal I should get? I’m sure an oil based one would be bad for him

I would remove the tape and use zip ties... also just so you know a t5ho uvb fixture only provides uvi in the first 15 inches directly below the light no farther so make sure his basking level is about 7-8 inches from the top to provide the correct uvi level for him. I would add all live plants and skip the fake ones. That cage you would be able to put some wonderful big plants in. Lots more horizontal branches and do all different dimensions for his feet. :)
Plant recommendations? I want to get a wandering Jew and maybe a pothos but not sure what to get other than that

Plant recommendations? I want to get a wandering Jew and maybe a pothos but not sure what to get other than that
Avoid the wandering Jew they are fragile and the vines are tiny so they can break under a full grown Cham. Pothos are my favorite they are super tolerant of everything and grow like crazy. Then I like dwarf umbrella. Ficus trees can be used but they are picky with water and lighting. They like to drop their leaves when they get angry. Hibiscus are great but again picky with lighting.

Back
Top Bottom